X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Doug Whaley - Still the best GM the Bills had in the new century

Tom Donahoe, Tom Modrak, Marv Levy, Buddy Nix, Dog Whaley. You can easily say the Bills talent went through an upside down bell curve, and I won't hesitant to add the Bills talent at its highest in recent years.

Still, not good enough to make the playoff.

Whaley built his reputation on scouting defensive players in Pittsburgh. He very much carried that reputation to Buffalo. Unlike his predecessors, while at the position of GM, he does not appear to have an outright bust in early rounds yet (like 1st and 2nd. Kouandijo came close but I suspect he's going to get big bucks for his 2nd contract somewhere).

I admit I am his supporter for the most part, because I believe identifying talent or identifying people who know talent is the most important trait of a GM. But I do have some reservations. Seems like he caught too much into physical aspect of a player, not enough in identifying intelligence aspects. His selection of QBs reflect that part.

The real bad part which soured me on him being Bills GM is that he seems never getting out of the scouts shell. Never get that managing the overall picture ability. He can see an almost certainty talent and would try all he can to get the talent. Fine for one talent but in the overall picture, it may be a bad thing. Watkins trade is a typical example. I suspect the inability to see the whole picture maybe one of his biggest downfall.

Then there is administrative skills which I don't need to mention. In terms of HC selection. I doubt he's given that responsibility his entire time as a GM.
  • Luisito23
    Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
    • Apr 2003

Re: Doug Whaley - Still the best GM the Bills had in the new century

Lay off the pipe...
    "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
    ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
    ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
    ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Should have been an advanced scout/ pro personnel guy and nothing more.

Rear view mirror. No longer looking.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
        • Jun 2024

Only Kim will miss him.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
          Making Spirits Bright
          • Mar 2006

If he found a real QB, all his mistakes would be overlooked. That was his problem.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
            Skoobasaurus-Rex
            • Oct 2011

You're a complete Whack job.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
              Legendary Zoner
              • May 2009

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
              You're a complete Whack job.
              Takes one to know one.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                Skoobasaurus-Rex
                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by BertSquirtgum View Post
                Takes one to know one.
                Ironically, I know them all and I'll assure you Whaley was simply a fall guy with a title but no real authority. He's a scoutmaster in over his head. Goodluck finding another sucker to run the Kim show, which turned the Sabres into a massive mess.
                Last edited by Skooby; 05-01-2017, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                  • Mar 2004

Whaley's biggest issue was his ego, and the fact that he couldn't get along/get on the same page as the head coaches that were here.

He refused to admit mistakes (EJ Manuel) and really wasn't that great

Comment

• Manwiththeplan
                    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                    Whaley's biggest issue was his ego, and the fact that he couldn't get along/get on the same page as the head coaches that were here.

He refused to admit mistakes (EJ Manuel) and really wasn't that great
                    This is where I'm at. I think he had serious issues with every coaching staff.

Comment

• Jimkelly12203
                      • Jun 2015

Donahoe botched the offensive line and did stupid stuff like drafting McGahee. Then he went and sealed his fate when he started apprehending unfavorable fan made signs on game day. But he is 200x better of an NFL executive that Whaley. Donahoe had to go, but he's a legitimate NFL front office man.
                      All Hail Josh Allen! Savior of the Buffalo Bills!

Freedom for the Ukraine. Down with Putin and every traitor in this country that supports him.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Being the best Bills GM of the new century is as useful as being the fastest sprinter at fat camp.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Jimkelly12203 View Post
                          Donahoe botched the offensive line and did stupid stuff like drafting McGahee. Then he went and sealed his fate when he started apprehending unfavorable fan made signs on game day. But he is 200x better of an NFL executive that Whaley. Donahoe had to go, but he's a legitimate NFL front office man.
                          I admit Donahoe is actually the GM in this century closest to success - they were actually very close to getting Big Ben (if he were willing to giving half of what he gave up for Losman to Houston). But Donahoe is a terrible talent evaluator. The Dan/Art Rooney covered him in that department. He's good business executive though.

If Whaley wants to move back to Pittsburgh, the Steelers would be glad to have him back. The Steelers' defense side draft suffered when he left. But Whaley may have different ideas/options though.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                            • Sep 2009

TJ Graham over Russell Wilson will haunt Whaley for years.

Wasn't the GM at the time, but he was responsible for the Draft, and that board must have been upside down for TJ to go that high. If Whaley & the scouts convince the FO to nab Wilson it's whole new ball game.
                            Last edited by kingJofNYC; 05-01-2017, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by kingJofNYC View Post
                              TJ Graham over Russell Wilson will haunt Whaley for years.

Wasn't the GM at the time, but he was responsible for the Draft, and that board must have been upside down for TJ to go that high. If Whaley & the scouts convince the FO to nab Wilson it's whole new ball game.
                              I don't care about what you say about who's really in charge, power struggle etc. Buddy Nix was the GM in 2012. So I pin that one on him. Likewise I don't give Whaley any credit for Nix's draft finds.

But as I said before, Whaley goes too much by physical traits. So I'm not sure he would gave Wilson a very high grade on the draft board.

Comment

Working...
                              X