Why is Zay Jones said to have average speed and athleticism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yordad
    • Dec 2007

Why is Zay Jones said to have average speed and athleticism?

Why is Zay Jones said to have average speed and athleticism? Dude's measurables are better than those of Sammy Walkins.

Latest on WR Zay Jones including news, stats, videos, highlights and more on NFL.com

Latest on WR Sammy Watkins including news, stats, videos, highlights and more on NFL.com

Sammy's 40 was 4.43 and is called a burner. Zay is 4.45, and considered to be a step slow? Vertical, broad, 3 cone, and 20 yr shuttle all favor Jones.

I am still hoping we pick up Sammy's option. This could be a formidable duo for a few years, and hopefully longer.
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad
  • yordad
    • Dec 2007

Re: Why is Zay Jones said to have average speed and athleticism?

Sammy:A legitimate No. 1-caliber receiver who stepped onto the field as a true freshman and made an immediate, game-changing impact. Was slowed by injuries as a sophomore, but responded with a strong junior season and capped his career as one of the most impactful receivers in school history. Has rare speed, soft hands and the big-play ability to challenge NFL defensive backs as a rookie.

Zay:Possesses high football character and a desire to push himself forward. Record-breaking receptions totals in 2016 were due more to scheme and excessive targets than separation ability or top-end speed. As a one-on-one receiver on the pro level, he will have to prove he has the speed and quickness to uncover against man coverage if he is to become more than just wide receiver depth.

What am I missing here?
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by yordad View Post
      Why is Zay Jones said to have average speed and athleticism? Dude's measurables are better than those of Sammy Walkins.

Latest on WR Zay Jones including news, stats, videos, highlights and more on NFL.com

Latest on WR Sammy Watkins including news, stats, videos, highlights and more on NFL.com

Sammy's 40 was 4.43 and is called a burner. Zay is 4.45, and considered to be a step slow? Vertical, broad, 3 cone, and 20 yr shuttle all favor Jones.

I am still hoping we pick up Sammy's option. This could be a formidable duo for a few years, and hopefully longer.
      Game Speed > Timed Speed

I think Zay gets a bad wrap on the speed issue based on the offensive system he played in. Also keep in mind that once Jones time hit the watches in Indy his stock skyrocketed. You're talking about a guy who was likely a 3rd day pick who everybody thought was a 4.55-4.6 guy who ran sub 4.5. He probably jumped 60-100 spots when you combine his athletic testing with his film and production.
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• yordad
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
        Game Speed > Timed Speed

I think Zay gets a bad wrap on the speed issue based on the offensive system he played in. Also keep in mind that once Jones time hit the watches in Indy his stock skyrocketed. You're talking about a guy who was likely a 3rd day pick who everybody thought was a 4.55-4.6 guy who ran sub 4.5. He probably jumped 60-100 spots when you combine his athletic testing with his film and production.
        How slow could his game speed be when he basically just broke every college receiving record? This guy checks off every box, IMO.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
          • Jun 2024

I really like this pick.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
            • Sep 2009

He tested extremely well, but folks don't think he plays at the tested times.

PFF had him listed as one of the top WRs in making people miss when trying to tackle him, but on the flip side, he was given a lot of screens, hitches, slants, so he had more opportunities to make guys miss.

Interested in watching him play, intriguing player.

Comment

• Cali512
              • Jan 2012

Sammy had a lot of stuff in his scouting report that I have never seen on game tape. I saw stuff like rare speed (he has average top end speed but amazing acceleration) great elusiveness (he seems to use power moves over juking, and doesn't seem that light on his feet. Then I saw things like can make extremely difficult catches (which i thought would be like Beckum) but throughout his career he has been more of a body position concentration type guy. I can't see him making a big one handed catch, or diving catch, but like he did vs KC he can make a difficult catch

His scouting reports were very deceiving, not just in the NFL but in college. I thought we were getting a beckum, but we ended up with more of a Boldin
              Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

He won't be catching 100 passes this year. He's too short for TT to see running up the middle.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Cali512
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                  Game Speed > Timed Speed

I don't agree with this. Based on production and game tape he should of been a lock in the first round. His game tape was light years ahead of Corey Davis with way better competition and still went in the second. I have no idea how his position dropped as far as it did.

He had an extremely inaccurate QB, half the team was scrubs, and still was underutilized. Watching his tape he is open almost every play and even when he wasnt, he would make an incredible catch. I haven't seen him drop a pass at all even though he had to deal with some horrific accuracy
                  Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by yordad View Post
                    How slow could his game speed be when he basically just broke every college receiving record? This guy checks off every box, IMO.
                    Ask Freddie Barnes who he got the records from. Barnes ran in the 4.65 range.
                    COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Cali512 View Post
                      I don't agree with this. Based on production and game tape he should of been a lock in the first round. His game tape was light years ahead of Corey Davis with way better competition and still went in the second. I have no idea how his position dropped as far as it did.

He had an extremely inaccurate QB, half the team was scrubs, and still was underutilized. Watching his tape he is open almost every play and even when he wasnt, he would make an incredible catch. I haven't seen him drop a pass at all even though he had to deal with some horrific accuracy
                      Smaller height, weight, frame, and hands than Davis. Also Jones had more big plays, scored 11 more TD's and averaged more than 4 yards more per catch than Jones.

Also, I'm not sure the AAC competition isn't all that much better than the MAC.

You're right though that his QB and fellow talent was really bad and despite that he made a ton of plays.
                      COMING SOON...

Comment

• Cali512
                        • Jan 2012

The teams he played were a little better as in more NFL players come out of the programs. When it comes to size I don't think a few pounds or inches matter at all. He averaged more yds due to less catches and looking at the teams, Jones really should have been targeted even more. He would catch 2-3 big plays, then be wide open and not even looked at which is stunning for how much he was targeted. Also it seemed the team was fascinated by jimmy Williams on goaline sets sven though Jones was more reliable.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                          • Sep 2009

Here's some food for thought on Zay Jones by Matt Harmon.

Back in Cooper Kupp’s Reception Perception evaluation, we discussed the process of the NFL Draft season. At that time, the massive hype machine generated by the Eastern Washington receiver’s Senior Bowl week had hit an impasse with a poor combine performance. This served as a reminder that there are multiple boxes to check off in ...

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

Just wait until camp to watch him.

I watch his tape and the talent doesn't lie. I wrote down 5 guys from the Senior Bowl i liked a lot and then went back and watched their tape. We drafted 3 of them.
                            Jones, Dawkins of Temple and Peterman. I thought Peterman was god but average prior...but the more I watched his tape the more I saw a QB who reacts well to pressure and delivers a nice ball.

Not promoting any of them but our top 3 picks and Peterman will be fun to watch. Hoping the 2 hybrid S/LB types we drafted in rounds 5-6 can show something beyond their ST prowess.
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Cali512 View Post
                              The teams he played were a little better as in more NFL players come out of the programs. When it comes to size I don't think a few pounds or inches matter at all. He averaged more yds due to less catches and looking at the teams, Jones really should have been targeted even more. He would catch 2-3 big plays, then be wide open and not even looked at which is stunning for how much he was targeted. Also it seemed the team was fascinated by jimmy Williams on goaline sets sven though Jones was more reliable.
                              MAC had 11 players drafted, AAC had 15. Let's not act like there is some wide talent disparity. As for size, inches and seconds can make the difference between pro ball and college, so you better believe they matter.
                              COMING SOON...

Comment

Working...
                              X