PDA

View Full Version : Does the New GM Have the Sole Authority to Alone Fire the Head Coach?

SpikedLemonade
05-01-2017, 03:44 PM
That is a pretty important fact to know in determining the quality of interested candidates.

Skooby
05-01-2017, 03:46 PM
That is a pretty important fact to know in determining the quality of interested candidates.
Zero ability in our instance, he will be more like an assistant GM with limited authority.

The King
05-01-2017, 03:49 PM
The GM that's coming in is going to be a direct fit with McDermott, they'll be a team. This is McDermott's team now, there's no question about it.
I for one love it. Time they are a changing.

Ed
05-01-2017, 04:04 PM
Since the HC reports directly to the owner, I would say no, the GM will not have any authority to fire the HC.

SpikedLemonade
05-01-2017, 04:08 PM
That should be changed.

Why should the HC report to the Owner?

Pegula is an idiot.

Cali512
05-01-2017, 04:11 PM
I for one think its hypocritical that any fan would have an issue with how things are going since every fan would of done everything the way the pegulas. We know as much if not less than they do about sports yet some of us really think they wouldn't of been so drastic and involved, like really?

YardRat
05-01-2017, 04:15 PM
I don't know what the tizzy is about. Let's face facts...what exactly does a 'general manager' do, anyway? He sets up the pro and college personnel departments, oversees player scouting and ranking of both, and participates in negotiations with current players and future acquisitions. Big ****ing deal. There's no reason at all a 'general manager' can't successfully perform those duties under the direction of a head coach as opposed to the traditional vice-versa.

feldspar
05-01-2017, 04:39 PM
No way the GM would have "sole authority" to fire the Head Coach anywhere anyway...unless the owner of the football team is the GM as well.

Night Train
05-01-2017, 04:43 PM
We know McDermott is going to bring in Beane ( Bills asked permission today to talk to him. It was granted ) or a couple others that have DIRECT ties to him

Why are we putting on blinders and explaining this imaginary chain of command to us ? We get the point but it's working different here. It's not the first time in history this has happened.

Arm of Harm
05-01-2017, 05:03 PM
My sense is that the Patriots' GM (or GM equivalent) works for Bill Belichick, not the other way around. A team can be successful with its GM underneath its head coach. I'll grant that Belichick has a much more extensive record of achievement than McDermott, so the fact this arrangement is working for the Patriots is not proof it will work for us.

Albany,n.y.
05-01-2017, 05:10 PM
Only if Pegula pulls a Jerry Jones & names himself GM.

Buddo
05-01-2017, 05:26 PM
My sense is that the Patriots' GM (or GM equivalent) works for Bill Belichick, not the other way around. A team can be successful with its GM underneath its head coach. I'll grant that Belichick has a much more extensive record of achievement than McDermott, so the fact this arrangement is working for the Patriots is not proof it will work for us.

Belichick earned his power. All that happened really with him, was that when the likes of Pioli etc. left, they never replaced them with guys who were given the same degree of 'clout'. I'm not sure the Patsies actually have a 'GM' any more. Thing is, he had already proven himself as a HC by then, and was very familiar with the people around him.

Back to the OP, in that there is no way that a new GM, gets the power to hire and fire the HC. Because that isn't the way that the Pegulas want things to run.

As I'm thinking about this, I'm not getting the sense that the job is going to be that easy to fill, unless it's a McDermott lackey, as you will be standing or falling, with McDermott. 3 years down the line, and we could be in the same situation again, except the whole shooting match will be gone in one foul swoop.

Manwiththeplan
05-01-2017, 06:17 PM
I think the owner will have the power to veto. At least in this case.

Mace
05-01-2017, 06:19 PM

Haha. Every once in a while you come up with a good one, you madman.

TigerJ
05-01-2017, 07:27 PM
No owner is every going to deny himself the authority to fire anyone in the organization if it turns out he can't stand him.

GingerP
05-01-2017, 08:03 PM
My sense is that the Patriots' GM (or GM equivalent) works for Bill Belichick, not the other way around.

The Patriots don't have a GM. Belichick is head coach. The front office is run by Nick Caserio, but he is Director of Player Personnel not the GM.

Really, it comes down to who has control of the roster. In NE, it is Belichick. In Buffalo, it was Whaley, and now that he is gone it is an open question. It likely is McDermott, given he seems to have run this draft.

One area where this distinction is important is when they request to interview people. If the new position doesn't have control of the roster, then the team that they request to interview an employee from can deny the request if they see fit. If the new position has control of the roster, they can't block the person from interviewing because it would be a promotion.

psubills62
05-01-2017, 09:46 PM
I don't know what the tizzy is about. Let's face facts...what exactly does a 'general manager' do, anyway? He sets up the pro and college personnel departments, oversees player scouting and ranking of both, and participates in negotiations with current players and future acquisitions. Big ****ing deal. There's no reason at all a 'general manager' can't successfully perform those duties under the direction of a head coach as opposed to the traditional vice-versa.
This has been my thought as well. Ultimately, all the decisions should come down to the HC. He's the one who has to coach the players and put the product on the field. The power structures in the NFL seem strange when a glorified head scout can just pick and choose the players, but then it's up to the head coach to scrape them together into a team.

I honestly have no idea if McDermott is the right guy to lead the charge, but in general I don't think I fully understand why the GM is at the top of the pyramid, and not the HC. Who better to find players who fit what the coaches want to do on the field?

jamze132
05-02-2017, 05:07 AM
Isn't it strange that a first time NFL HC has so much power? He hasn't proven anything yet. Lol Bills

YardRat
05-02-2017, 05:15 AM
Isn't it strange that a first time NFL HC has so much power? He hasn't proven anything yet. Lol Bills

Was it strange that a first time NFL GM like Whaley had so much power without proving anything?

SpikedLemonade
05-02-2017, 06:00 AM
Was it strange that a first time NFL GM like Whaley had so much power without proving anything?

How did that work out in the end?

Perhaps given the Bills do NOT have a proven successful HC like Belly-chick in place they should simply adopt the model used by 90% of NFL teams rather than an adopt their own model when they have done nothing meaningful for decades.

coastal
05-02-2017, 06:16 AM
The 20 year mark will come and go and Russ Brandon will still be leaching big money from these franchises.

The Beef
05-02-2017, 09:34 AM
Whaley never had full GM power like a guy like Ozzie Newsome or Ted Thompson.

He never got to pick his coach.

Once he was given Rex he went out and got Rex guys with Shaq and Ragland to play his defense.

The closest thing he had to full control was when he and Brandon wanted to make a splash and get Sammy because yhey thought they were getting canned once a new owner came in.

McD has full power. He'll be hiring the new GM. They'll be joined at the hip. If this team is in the playoffs in 2 or 3 years McD will get an extension and it anything he'll be the one able to fire the GM if needed.

He already has a ton of say. Whoever thr GM is will be a McD guy with the same "vision".

This dude has started cleaning out the organization all over the board.

And unless Sammy kills it, you're going to see him and anyone associated with the previous regime gone sooner rather than later.

Hughes, Shaq, Richie, Shady, Ragland, Clay, Darby, Dareus... all these guys need to ball out or are probably gone in 2 years.

Jimkelly12203
05-02-2017, 09:58 AM
This won't be a traditional organizational structure. It's McDermott's team and the new GM (whoever it ends up being) will be someone that he has worked with in the past and who is fine with the HC being essentially the most powerful figure in the organization.

It's really the ONLY way this could conceivably go. IT's unusual, but it's the only way. You absolutely can't just bring in a GM with typical NFL GM powers to this situation.

Whoever we get, that person will populate the now empty scouting department, will work contracts, salary cap and things of that nature but will ultimately have to default to whatever McDermott wants. The key is that they agree on most things which is why i'm pretty sure it's going to be the assistant from Carolina or someone else that has worked with McDermott.

This is the Bills. We don't do things the normal way ever.

It comes down to this, either McDermott will right this ship or he (and his GM) will be gone in 3 years.

Albany,n.y.
05-02-2017, 10:14 AM
The coach hired before the GM has worked well in Seattle. Even though the positions were reversed, the second that Bill Polian was hired, it was only a matter of time before Polian's mentor, Marv Levy, was going to end up coaching the Bills-that worked out to the best era of the Bills as an NFL team.

An interesting side note: In the 1986 media guide, when Hank Bullough was still the coach, this was in Bill Polian's bio: "Polian joined the Bills in August of 1984 after working for one year as player personnel director of the USFL Chicago Blitz. In Chicago, Polian was associated with head coach Marv Levy, with whom he had previously worked in both Montreal of the Canadian League, as a U.S. scout during the 1976-77 seasons, and Kansas City, as a pro scout from 1978-1982." In the 1987 media guide, after Marv was coach, Polian's bio has a very similar paragraph: "Polian joined the Bills in August of 1984 after working one year as Player Personnel Director of the USFL Chicago Blitz. In Chicago, Polian worked closely with Buffalo's present head coach Marv Levy, who was the coach of the Blitz at the time. Polian's association with Levy goes back to 1976 when he was a U.S. scout for the Montreal Alouettes during Levy's tenure with the club. He later assisted Levy as a pro scout in Kansas City from 1978-1982."

When a coach or GM hires a crony, it can work out a lot better than a shotgun marriage like Rex Ryan had with his last 2 GMs that resulted both times in the firings of Ryan & the GMs.

SpikedLemonade
05-02-2017, 10:36 AM
The dysfunctionality at One Bills Drive continues.

cookie G
05-02-2017, 05:19 PM
The dysfunctionality at One Bills Drive continues.

Its a different type of dysfunctional...but it is still dysfunctional.

After reading Carucci's article yesterday, I could only shake my head and say.."wow"..

It was notable that, the day before the "formal" interview that would include Whaley and former director of player personnel Jim Monos, the Pegulas invited McDermott to join them for dinner on their yacht in Boca Raton, Fla.

He had the Pegulas at "hello." He impressed them so much, that as Kim drove McDermott to the airport after the next day's six-hour session, she was already telling him to have his wife (who had been invited to Boca Raton as well, but couldn't make the trip) call her for information about housing and other essentials in Western New York.

Whaley's virtual disappearance from public view after McDermott's arrival wasn't a coincidence. It was a fulfillment of a condition of McDermott's employment.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/01/vic-caruccis-bills-wake-call-new-gm-wont-change-structure/

For the 2nd time in 3 years, they made a impulsive decision after becoming "enamored" with someone, to the exclusion of all others...and without really thinking it through.

Did they learn anything from the immediate man crush with Rex? Doesn't look like it.

With Rex...they gave him enough power to "rebuild" at top 5 defense...and then looked confused as to why he did and disappointed when it didn't work out.

Here, they just handed the keys to the entire front office to a guy who's never been so much as a head coach, at any level, because he demanded it. He's now head coach, interim GM, director of player personnel and the entire scouting department.

McD's head has got to be bigger than the Chinese Brother (of the children's classic, the Five Chinese Brothers) who sucked up the entire ocean.

They remind me of clients I've had, who get engaged after the first date.

"Im getting married next week!"
"how long have you known this person?"
"Oh, only a few days, but we've talked every day!"
"Know anything about him/her?"
"Why are you putting a damper on this?"
"The last one didn't work out so well, remember?"
"This is different!!"

A few months later, I'll get that inevitable call...."I need an annulment today!!!"

These are generally bright, hard working people. One in particular...a naval intelligence officer...smart, driven...but married three times before the age of 30. Put him in a relationship setting and all rational thought goes out the window.

I'm seeing that in the Pegula's when it comes to coaches.

SpikedLemonade
05-02-2017, 10:33 PM
....as Kim drove McDermott to the airport after the next day's six-hour session, she was already telling him....

Kim gave him a blow job on the way or at the airport.

feldspar
05-03-2017, 08:19 AM
McD's head has got to be bigger than the Chinese Brother (of the children's classic, the Five Chinese Brothers) who sucked up the entire ocean.

LOL...The Five Chinese Brothers. That takes me back.

I'm like the Chinese Brother who could hold his breathe indefinitely, which is what I've had to do waiting for the Bills to make the playoffs. ;)

Night Train
05-03-2017, 08:53 AM
McDermott is completely unproven as a HC but he did do something other people failed to do over the last 20 years...clear out the Ralph cronies. Just a few more and it will be complete (outside of adm. Brandon, which won't happen ).

Maybe some actual direction is finally coming. Could be refreshing.

Historian
05-03-2017, 09:27 AM
I just hope he doesn't turn out to be Gregg Williams part 2.....

feldspar
05-03-2017, 09:42 AM

If Greg Williams had a personality, I didn't like it...but that's a big if.

From what I've seen, I like McDermott. That could change, but I don't see that itself changing all that much no matter how the Bills do.

What I'm saying is that it helps when you like the person in charge.

kingJofNYC
05-03-2017, 09:53 AM
Well said Cookie G. McD may buck the trend, but man the Pegulas gave him everything from the jump. The coaching search seemed like it was 3 guys. Seattle's Richard's, Arizona's Goodwin, and McD, probably forgetting someone but they didn't interview more than 3 guys outside of the organization, not counting Lynn. Not thorough enough, can't give them the benefit of the doubt until I see results on the field. Yeah, they cleaned out some of the old regime, but the biggest rat is still running around the building.

Historian
05-03-2017, 09:59 AM
For the 2nd time in 3 years, they made a impulsive decision after becoming "enamored" with someone, to the exclusion of all others...and without really thinking it through.
Did they learn anything from the immediate man crush with Rex? Doesn't look like it.
With Rex...they gave him enough power to "rebuild" at top 5 defense...and then looked confused as to why he did and disappointed when it didn't work out.
Here, they just handed the keys to the entire front office to a guy who's never been so much as a head coach, at any level, because he demanded it. He's now head coach, interim GM, director of player personnel and the entire scouting department.

That's a very good point.

When evaluating employees, as well as interviewing potential candidates, one needs to separate the personality from the performance.

My first question to McD would have been, "You went from the 15-1 to 6-10. Why?

JoeMama
05-03-2017, 10:01 AM
Its a different type of dysfunctional...but it is still dysfunctional.

After reading Carucci's article yesterday, I could only shake my head and say.."wow"..

It was notable that, the day before the "formal" interview that would include Whaley and former director of player personnel Jim Monos, the Pegulas invited McDermott to join them for dinner on their yacht in Boca Raton, Fla.

He had the Pegulas at "hello." He impressed them so much, that as Kim drove McDermott to the airport after the next day's six-hour session, she was already telling him to have his wife (who had been invited to Boca Raton as well, but couldn't make the trip) call her for information about housing and other essentials in Western New York.

Whaley's virtual disappearance from public view after McDermott's arrival wasn't a coincidence. It was a fulfillment of a condition of McDermott's employment.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/01/vic-caruccis-bills-wake-call-new-gm-wont-change-structure/

They remind me of clients I've had, who get engaged after the first date.

"Im getting married next week!"
"how long have you known this person?"
"Oh, only a few days, but we've talked every day!"
"Know anything about him/her?"
"Why are you putting a damper on this?"
"The last one didn't work out so well, remember?"
"This is different!!"

A few months later, I'll get that inevitable call...."I need an annulment today!!!"

These are generally bright, hard working people. One in particular...a naval intelligence officer...smart, driven...but married three times before the age of 30. Put him in a relationship setting and all rational thought goes out the window.

I'm seeing that in the Pegula's when it comes to coaches.

The Pegulas sure are easily infatuated.

Amazing that a six hour convo can lead to MccyD becoming the the head coach, interim GM, director of player personnel, and the entire scouting department.

His qualifications?

Telling 11 dudes how to line up and who to tackle.

Only in Buffalo, I guess.

SpikedLemonade
05-03-2017, 01:12 PM

If he even mentions a blow/loud horn before or during Training Camp, I will clock him personally in the side of his melon.

The King
05-03-2017, 01:13 PM
McDermott was one of the top coaching candidates available this off-season. His history with Carolina, his ties with Reid, he was going to land a coaching gig. I am guessing him accepting the Bills job was in fact hinged upon him having input on this roster (probably not cut and dry but he was afforded significant input). After a month or two with Whaley I am thinking they both realized their differences were too far apart. That was that.

McDermott reminds me a lot of Marrone... he's a force of change. Believes you build a team inside-out. Whaley got by on peppering in skill players on a bad foundation. The Watkins, Clay, McCoy moves were all that. Talent like that can hide a lot of issues but in the end you're true identity shines through.

SpikedLemonade
05-03-2017, 01:16 PM
McDermott was one of the top coaching candidates available this off-season. His history with Carolina, his ties with Reid, he was going to land a coaching gig. I am guessing him accepting the Bills job was in fact hinged upon him having input on this roster (probably not cut and dry but he was afforded significant input). After a month or two with Whaley I am thinking they both realized their differences were too far apart. That was that.

McDermott reminds me a lot of Marrone... he's a force of change. Believes you build a team inside-out. Whaley got by on peppering in skill players on a bad foundation. The Watkins, Clay, McCoy moves were all that. Talent like that can hide a lot of issues but in the end you're true identity shines through.

The test will be how much they invest in the two lines between draft pick quality and free agent money.

Arm of Harm
05-03-2017, 10:52 PM

I hope and expect for McDermott to provide a clearer sense of direction than Marrone did. With Marrone as head coach, one of the worst-coached units on the team was, ironically enough, the offensive line. Why? Because different coaches on the team, including Marrone, told the offensive linemen contradictory things. The offensive line needed to have one approach only, and instead had several different, apparently contradictory approaches. I don't expect anything like that to happen with McDermott.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I think that McDermott has a clear vision of the type of team he wants, and is building towards that vision. But that vision doesn't necessarily exclude skill players. Of his first three draft picks, one was used on a CB, one on a WR, and one on an OL.

You have a defensively-oriented head coach, implementing a new system, on a team which had a poorly-performing defense last year. This is not the first time the Bills have been down that road. But in the past, under those circumstances, the defensively-oriented head coach would have used the vast majority of his draft picks on defensive players. Especially going into his first year. If an early pick had gone to an offensive player, it would most likely have been used on a RB. (On the theory that the objective was to run the ball and win with defense.) Two of McDermott's first three picks went to offensive players, including a WR. That suggests that McDermott sees the big picture, not just his own side of the ball only. And it suggests he's taken full responsibility for the entire team.

Woodman
05-04-2017, 09:27 AM
Easier to answer the question a little later ..... right now Terry Pegula is the only one with hire and fire power.

Arm of Harm
05-04-2017, 09:53 AM
The Pegulas sure are easily infatuated.

Amazing that a six hour convo can lead to MccyD becoming the the head coach, interim GM, director of player personnel, and the entire scouting department.

His qualifications?

Telling 11 dudes how to line up and who to tackle.

Only in Buffalo, I guess.

Easily infatuated? Perhaps. But Pegula needed to become infatuated with someone if the Bills were ever to become a winning football team. Prior to the Rex firing, there was no one inside the building whose football judgement Pegula could trust. Not Rex, not Doug Whaley, not Russ Brandon. It was absolutely necessary for Pegula to look outside the building for football judgement, and to put that outsider in control. To give that outsider authority to clean out those within the building who'd been holding the Bills back. That cleanup is now well underway.

An NFL panel put together a list of good head coaching candidates. Bill Polian was one of the members of this panel. Sean McDermott's name was on the panel's list. While it's not necessarily the case that every name the panel listed will go on to have a great head coaching career, anyone who sticks to the panel's list will at least avoid doing anything too harebrained. (Such as hiring another Rex Ryan, for example.) Also, for what it's worth, McDermott is highly thought of by Carolina Panthers fans.

While there is absolutely no guarantee of any of this working out, McDermott at least gives us a credible shot at having a well-run franchise. "Credible shot" is much, much better than what we had, when Doug Whaley was GM and Rex Ryan was head coach.

SpikedLemonade
05-04-2017, 11:11 AM
Easily infatuated? Perhaps. But Pegula needed to become infatuated with someone if the Bills were ever to become a winning football team. Prior to the Rex firing, there was no one inside the building whose football judgement Pegula could trust. Not Rex, not Doug Whaley, not Russ Brandon. It was absolutely necessary for Pegula to look outside the building for football judgement, and to put that outsider in control. To give that outsider authority to clean out those within the building who'd been holding the Bills back. That cleanup is now well underway.

An NFL panel put together a list of good head coaching candidates. Bill Polian was one of the members of this panel. Sean McDermott's name was on the panel's list. While it's not necessarily the case that every name the panel listed will go on to have a great head coaching career, anyone who sticks to the panel's list will at least avoid doing anything too harebrained. (Such as hiring another Rex Ryan, for example.) Also, for what it's worth, McDermott is highly thought of by Carolina Panthers fans.

While there is absolutely no guarantee of any of this working out, McDermott at least gives us a credible shot at having a well-run franchise. "Credible shot" is much, much better than what we had, when Doug Whaley was GM and Rex Ryan was head coach.

Let's see who is hired as GM.

JoeMama
05-04-2017, 03:54 PM

I agree. And I do like that MccyD has quietly assembled a talented, experienced coaching staff around him. That speaks to good judgment.

The uncertainty for me is that it's not like we're handing the keys to an experienced, successful head coach like a Bill Parcells or a Tom Coughlin. We're handing the keys to somebody who's never done anything like this before.

We don't even know if he's cut out to be a head coach, let alone pick a GM and a scouting department. It's a lot to take in at once. For me anyway.

But hey, no risk no reward. It's not like the beaten path was working for us so **** it.

Night Train
05-05-2017, 06:31 AM

Ding,ding,ding ! We have a winner !

Jimkelly12203
05-05-2017, 08:51 AM
As that article states (I think it was that article, but maybe another i read and i'm too lazy to check) there is an NFL committee of former executives and coaches that draft a list of good candidates precisely to help out owners like Pegula (and inexperienced NFL executives no doubt) and that committee includes people like Bill Polian and John Madden, etc...

Evidently McDermott was prominently featured on that list. So while i agree that it is somewhat unsettling that "McDermott had the Pegulas at 'hello'", at least they knew they were dealing with someone who is viewed by people who know what they're doing as a person ready for the job.

Everything i've seen from him has been very encouraging.

Finally there's a single person in charge who is accountable for the important decisions. The shared duties approach really hurt this team and created too much in-fighting. Now it's get in line behind McD or hit the road. He will have his 3 years to prove that his vision works (or that it doesn't).

I'm rooting for him and at least at the end of those three years we will know who should take the credit or blame.

Bill Cody
05-05-2017, 10:35 AM
Obviously we're all in on McDermott. He's going to pick the GM we should all understand this. If Mac has the goods we are on the road back to greatness. If he doesn't we're going down so far you'll need unmanned subs to see the wreckage. I'm fine with it. Time for a sea change. Hated Rex. Disliked Whaley. The one voice concept makes sense as long as the one voice knows what he's doing. But it needs to be one voice. Having more than one is like alternating QB's, hard to make it work.

Historian
05-07-2017, 06:44 AM
Obviously we're all in on McDermott. He's going to pick the GM we should all understand this.

According to this morning's news, he has not sit in on any first interviews, but will sit in on all the call backs.

Interpret as you will.

Night Train
05-07-2017, 06:55 AM
According to this morning's news, he has not sit in on any first interviews, but will sit in on all the call backs.Interpret as you will.

Legit... but other than that, Vic C is terrible. He doesn't get inside info anymore and is desperate to get a Polian back in the front office...the last time anyone would talk to him.

When I hear him on Sirius NFL radio, I shut it off.

Historian
05-07-2017, 07:19 AM
It was Stu on Channel 2