Does the New GM Have the Sole Authority to Alone Fire the Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Haile SpikedLemonade
    • Jun 2024

Does the New GM Have the Sole Authority to Alone Fire the Head Coach?

That is a pretty important fact to know in determining the quality of interested candidates.
  • MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: Does the New GM Have the Sole Authority to Alone Fire the Head Coach?

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    That is a pretty important fact to know in determining the quality of interested candidates.
    Zero ability in our instance, he will be more like an assistant GM with limited authority.

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

The GM that's coming in is going to be a direct fit with McDermott, they'll be a team. This is McDermott's team now, there's no question about it.
      I for one love it. Time they are a changing.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Ed
        Dude
        • Sep 2002

Since the HC reports directly to the owner, I would say no, the GM will not have any authority to fire the HC.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
          • Jun 2024

That should be changed.

Why should the HC report to the Owner?

Pegula is an idiot.

Comment

• Cali512
            • Jan 2012

I for one think its hypocritical that any fan would have an issue with how things are going since every fan would of done everything the way the pegulas. We know as much if not less than they do about sports yet some of us really think they wouldn't of been so drastic and involved, like really?
            Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

I don't know what the tizzy is about. Let's face facts...what exactly does a 'general manager' do, anyway? He sets up the pro and college personnel departments, oversees player scouting and ranking of both, and participates in negotiations with current players and future acquisitions. Big ****ing deal. There's no reason at all a 'general manager' can't successfully perform those duties under the direction of a head coach as opposed to the traditional vice-versa.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• feldspar
                • Mar 2007

No way the GM would have "sole authority" to fire the Head Coach anywhere anyway...unless the owner of the football team is the GM as well.

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

We know McDermott is going to bring in Beane ( Bills asked permission today to talk to him. It was granted ) or a couple others that have DIRECT ties to him

Why are we putting on blinders and explaining this imaginary chain of command to us ? We get the point but it's working different here. It's not the first time in history this has happened.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Arm of Harm
                    • Dec 2015

My sense is that the Patriots' GM (or GM equivalent) works for Bill Belichick, not the other way around. A team can be successful with its GM underneath its head coach. I'll grant that Belichick has a much more extensive record of achievement than McDermott, so the fact this arrangement is working for the Patriots is not proof it will work for us.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                      • Jul 2002

Only if Pegula pulls a Jerry Jones & names himself GM.

Comment

• Buddo
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Arm of Harm View Post
                        My sense is that the Patriots' GM (or GM equivalent) works for Bill Belichick, not the other way around. A team can be successful with its GM underneath its head coach. I'll grant that Belichick has a much more extensive record of achievement than McDermott, so the fact this arrangement is working for the Patriots is not proof it will work for us.
                        Belichick earned his power. All that happened really with him, was that when the likes of Pioli etc. left, they never replaced them with guys who were given the same degree of 'clout'. I'm not sure the Patsies actually have a 'GM' any more. Thing is, he had already proven himself as a HC by then, and was very familiar with the people around him.

Back to the OP, in that there is no way that a new GM, gets the power to hire and fire the HC. Because that isn't the way that the Pegulas want things to run.

As I'm thinking about this, I'm not getting the sense that the job is going to be that easy to fill, unless it's a McDermott lackey, as you will be standing or falling, with McDermott. 3 years down the line, and we could be in the same situation again, except the whole shooting match will be gone in one foul swoop.

Comment

• Manwiththeplan
                          • Aug 2014

I think the owner will have the power to veto. At least in this case.

Comment

• Mace
                            Haha...yeah you think so ?
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                            Haha. Every once in a while you come up with a good one, you madman.

Comment

• TigerJ
                              • Jul 2002

No owner is every going to deny himself the authority to fire anyone in the organization if it turns out he can't stand him.
                              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X