PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln Logs vs Jenga Towers

Thurmal
05-02-2017, 09:21 PM
The perennial playoff teams in this league build their teams like a game of Lincoln Logs. Keep the foundation strong, keep adding pieces, and don't remove logs from the structure just b/c you think it can work if you just replace them later.

The Bills play Jenga. Keep knocking blocks out, try to stack new ones on top of a weak foundation, then watch as the tower doesn't grow much higher and eventually collapses on itself. Not only does this team always have gaping holes, they are usually responsible for them:

-- Tender Hogan for a 2nd rounder for another $1 MM? Nope, let him walk (to your biggest rival). Boom -- hole at WR. Solution? High draft pick to fill hole.

-- Tender Gillislee for a 2nd rounder for another $900,000? Nope, let him walk (to your biggest rival). Boom -- hole at RB. Solution? Let Jonathan Williams, the only RB on this team in two years to not have success, "fill" the vacancy of the leagues YPC and first down efficiency leader. Then probably cut your all-pro RB in 2018 b/c his salary goes up, and just get another RB with a high draft pick next year.

-- Beat the Redskins' paltry offer of 1-year, $2.5 million for Zach Brown? Nope, there's no cap money b/c you had to sign guys like Percy Harvin to bloated deals to fill other holes. Boom -- hole at LB. Solution? Draft two LBs in the fifth and sixth round to "fill" the void of your most versatile LBer.

-- Pick up Watkins' 5th year option? Nope, he's only the most talented wideout your team's had in 15 years, but he has a foot injury, so let him walk. Boom -- hole at WR. Solution? Let Zay Jones, become the #1 receiver in his second year, and then spend one of your two 1st round picks next year on another WR.

-- Figure out a way to keep a decent corner past his first contract? Nope, you've never done this and you're always able to draft a good replacement. Boom -- hole at CB. Solution? Resign yourself to the fact that, rather than utilize valuable first round picks on a plethora of important positions, you have to use your 1st rounder every four years on another corner.

I wouldn't mind a lot of movement if it looked like a plan was in place, but right now, it doesn't. Hopefully this will change with the new GM.

stuckincincy
05-02-2017, 10:21 PM
I've said for years, on this and other sites...don't buy spiffy new windows, when you have cracks in the foundation.

TigerJ
05-04-2017, 11:23 AM
I agree with the points on Gillislee and Zach Brown/Percy Harvin. $900,000 more was definitely doable. Zach Brown should have been able to help a lot this season. Other points can all be argued. Chris Hogan was a decent third WR for Buffalo, but there is no particular reason to think he would ever have been more. His productivity went up modestly in NY, but he had freaking Tom Brady slinging the ball around. We don't know that he would ever have ever done that in Buffalo. Watkins' injury is a real risk. I'm not convinced that Buffalo won't franchise him or negotiate a rich long term deal if he shows he can get past the foot issue. Stephon Gilmore is a press corner with good ball skills and doesn't like to hit people. McDermott is going to run a zone coverage scheme almost all the time, and likes CBs who will hit. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to give a big money contract to someone who doesn't do what you want you CB to do.

SpikedLemonade
05-04-2017, 11:26 AM
I agree with NOT picking up Sammy's 5th year option.