To Doug Whaley...you never learned your leasson Trade DOWN, not up in the draft......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftCzar
    • May 2017

To Doug Whaley...you never learned your leasson Trade DOWN, not up in the draft......

Sammy Watkins shows the risks of trading up

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 4, 2017, 6:06 AM EDT PROFOOTBALLTALK.com

The Bills were so eager to draft him that they traded two first-round picks and a fourth-round pick to move up and get him.

That was a mistake, as it usually is when teams trade up. The draft is just too unpredictable to justify pouring those kinds of resources into any one prospect. The smarter move is to acquire a lot of picks and hope that at least some of them pan out.

When the Bills announced this week that they would not pick up Watkins’ fifth-year option, they were essentially admitting that the move up for Watkins was a mistake. And it was a particularly costly mistake because the Bills probably would have ended up with a better player than Watkins if they had just stayed put at No. 9, rather than moving up to No. 4 to take Watkins: Still on the board at No. 9 was Odell Beckham, who has proven to be a much better receiver than Watkins, not to mention Pro Bowlers Anthony Barr, Taylor Lewan, Aaron Donald, Ryan Shazier, Zack Martin and C.J. Mosley, all of whom went off the board between Pick 9 and Pick 17.

If the Bills didn’t want Beckham for whatever reason, they could have drafted one of those other Pro Bowlers with the ninth overall pick and used their second-round pick to take Allen Robinson or Jarvis Landry, second-round receivers from the 2014 draft who have both out-performed Watkins through the first three seasons of their careers.

If you’re going to give up two first-round picks and a fourth-round pick for one player, you’d better be absolutely certain that one player is going to be far better than the players you could get with the picks you gave up. And in reality, no team is ever absolutely certain. Absolute certainty just isn’t available in the NFL draft.

It’s just the simple reality that trading up in the NFL draft is a big risk, one that usually doesn’t pay off.

Bills/Whaley traded up, giving up two 4th round picks, to get Reggie Ragland last year. How did that turn out?
    Bills/Whaley traded up, twice in this year's draft, giving away a # of picks, how will that turn out?

Last edited by DraftCzar; 05-04-2017, 06:48 AM.
  • sukie
    Seriously?
    • Sep 2012

Re: To Doug Whaley...you never learned your leasson Trade DOWN, not up in the draft..

It's not that Watkins isn't jaw droppingly lights-out talented..... It's the fragility of the kid. No way to project that the kid would be hurt every 3rd week while in the war room.

I do agree the cost of the selection was crazy but I don't put the injury bug on Whaley et al.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
      Skoobasaurus-Rex
      • Oct 2011

Re: To Doug Whaley...you never learned your leasson Trade DOWN, not up in the draft..

Some brilliant guy on there defended Sammy.

Comment

• Buffalogic
        Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
        • Feb 2006

The Falcons must be idiots too for trading up for Julio Jones.

Putting multiple eggs in one basket is never a good thing, but how could they know Sammy was so soft and brittle?

The talent and the numbers are there when he is on the field, he's just rarely on it. Sammy has something to prove this year and that's never a bad thing.

Comment

• Woodman
          Legendary Zoner
          • Apr 2014

It (****) happens when one falls in love.

Not worried about dropping 5th year option.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• feldspar
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by sukie View Post
            It's not that Watkins isn't jaw droppingly lights-out talented..... It's the fragility of the kid. No way to project that the kid would be hurt every 3rd week while in the war room.

I do agree the cost of the selection was crazy but I don't put the injury bug on Whaley et al.
            Watkins hurt his foot, and that could happen to anyone.

The real crime here was that the Bills forced Watkins back into the lineup too early, exacerbating the injury and vastly prolonging his recovery time. Now it's a nagging injury I hope he can overcome this year even.

The Bills mishandled all that and did Watkins no favors.

Comment

• Buffalogic
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
              Watkins hurt his foot, and that could happen to anyone.

The real crime here was that the Bills forced Watkins back into the lineup too early, exacerbating the injury and vastly prolonging his recovery time. Now it's a nagging injury I hope he can overcome this year even.

The Bills mishandled all that and did Watkins no favors.
              You can thank idiot Rex for that. Rushing him back to try and save his job hurt both Sammy and the team.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                Making Spirits Bright
                • Mar 2006

You trade up for a quarterback, not someone who will be worthless if you don't have a quarterback. Trade up for other positions after you have a quarterback, if you need to.

Everything is forgiven when you get a quarterback.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                  • Jun 2024

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
                  You trade up for a quarterback, not someone who will be worthless if you don't have a quarterback. Trade up for other positions after you have a quarterback, if you need to.

Everything is forgiven when you get a quarterback.
                  It is not enough these days in San Diego/LA and New Orleans.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Well they didn't know specifically in the war room but injuries are a possibility for literally any player. That's why you don't spend two 1sts and a 4th on one guy. And that's the whole point of the article.

Think about it this way: if you could trade Buffalo's next two first round picks for ANY current NFL player except a top 15 QB, who would you take? How many current players would be worth it? Watt, OBJ, Gronk maybe but he's hurt a lot... maybe a couple more but there are only 5-10 guys in the league who would be worth it, and those are proven NFL commodities.

It's never worth the risk. I mean, if you want to give up a 4th to move down 10 spots in the 3rd, sure, but giving up first round picks is just stupid.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Buffalogic View Post
                      The Falcons must be idiots too for trading up for Julio Jones.
                      The biggest idiots were the 49ers, who traded up for some small college WR in the 1985 draft. I don't know whatever happened to the guy.

Comment

• Zero
                        Primary Objective: Buffalo Bills- Super Bowl Champs
                        • Oct 2004

You know, when the Bills traded up I was initially hoping we had done so to to get Kalil Mack. My question to the board is, had that been the case, would you have been happy with that?
                        Last edited by Zero; 05-04-2017, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Zero View Post
                          You know, when the Bills traded up I was initially hoping we had done so to to get Kalil Mack. My question to the board is, had that been the case, would you have been happy with that?
                          Yes. That year I had a gut feeling we were moving up for Sammy or Mack. When we moved up, I was excited, I just didn't know who they were going to take.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                            • Feb 2006

The Raiders were going to take Watkins at five. The Bills thought they had to get in front of them to get Watkins (they were right).

Comment

• Swiper
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2010

Nevertheless it underscores the risk of any GM trading away so many assets for one rookie. It's too much for any position except a gimme franchise QB like a Roethlisberger, Manning, or Ryan. (The list does not include JP Losman however, LOL).

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Buffalogic View Post
                              The Raiders were going to take Watkins at five. The Bills thought they had to get in front of them to get Watkins (they were right).
                              Then the Raiders could be left to handle his foot issue and Whaley could have had Beckham. If he was smart.

And, again, he could have taken Mack who turned out to be a better player to date.
                              Last edited by swiper; 05-04-2017, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X