X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Saratoga Slim
    • Jul 2005

Great read on McDermott v. Whaley

Mike Lombardi has a great op ed out today that both explains the context for the Whaley firing and provides some optimism regarding our organizational direction. Here's an excerpt, but you probably want to read the full piece.

. . . In football, a successful partnership between the head coach and GM starts with a philosophical connection. I was a more effective personnel man working for Patriots head coach Bill Belichick; we share the same vision for what it takes to win in the NFL. When I wasn’t with Bill, I was horrible working with … I’ll leave out the name, as it pains me to even remember. The cohesiveness between coach and GM is vital to an organization. Pete Carroll found it with John Schneider in Seattle, Ted Thompson found it with Mike McCarthy in Green Bay, and the Steelers have always had it with whoever is their GM — in this case, Kevin Colbert — and their head coach, Mike Tomlin.

The finest organizations in the NFL — Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New England, Seattle, Kansas City, Denver, Baltimore, and the New York Giants; or as I call them, “the Magnificent Eight” — are always aligned. Internal fighting does not exist between management and coaching staffs. Therefore, when complicated issues arise, and they always do on a football team, the team has a way to correct them, not blame another department. When the “blame game” starts, it’s over — coaches blame scouts, scouts blame coaches, owners blame everyone. And sooner or later, there are no survivors.

Buffalo hasn’t had the alignment needed to compete at the highest level for 15 miserable years, in part because former owner Ralph Wilson loved the traditional approach: coaches coach, scouts scout. The front office drafted the players and controlled the roster, and the coaches coached the team. It’s a baseball-ish management structure. And it might work in baseball. But not in football, as Bills fans have painfully come to realize. The Pegulas have, too.

All that changed with the hiring of McDermott, who was brought up in the Andy Reid school of assistants. He understands the importance of having one vision and the need to have an entire organization operating under one set of rules. Just read what he said after the draft: “We’re going with that one-voice approach, and streamlined and aligned on what we’re doing, why we’re doing it, and how we’re doing it.”

Good for the Bills. They may finally have a chance to catch the Pats. Not because Whaley was bad at his job, but rather because he was picking players, not building a team. Being a GM in the NFL is not like being a fantasy football owner. There has to be an understanding of the essentials needed for a team to succeed. And when the head coach and GM don’t agree on those essentials, there is chaos, followed by losing.
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?
  • Buffalogic
    Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
    • Feb 2006

Re: Great read on McDermott v. Whaley

Thanks for posting this.

Comment

• Mace
      Haha...yeah you think so ?
      • Mar 2013

Excellent article, a long worthwhile read.

Comment

• WagonCircler
        Escaped Convict
        • Jul 2002

Whaley was always swinging for the fences. And that was all about him, not the team. He made big, splashy gambles that blew up in the organization's face.

This article makes me feel a little better about Terry Pegula. Ralph never adapted. He was rigid. Set in his ways. That's why guys like Polian, Butler, Saban and Knox ended up going elsewhere.

I like that Terry seems to be learning from his mistakes and taking a different approach.

Comment

• streetkings01
          • Jul 2006

Good read
          You can call me streetkings

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
            • Jun 2024

So who services Kim now?

Comment

• Topas
              German smartass
              • Feb 2014

Spiked, your news schtick (Kim) is even more boring than your old one (the team will move). Both have the same credibility and I know that answering to your posts will only make these posts from you more frequent... nonetheless ... get a life

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                • Jun 2024

Originally posted by Topas View Post
                Spiked, your news schtick (Kim) is even more boring than your old one (the team will move). Both have the same credibility and I know that answering to your posts will only make these posts from you more frequent... nonetheless ... get a life
                In other words, "I am just happy there is a team(s) in Buffalo and don't really concern myself with actual winning..."

Comment

• jimmifli
                  • Nov 2006

Picking players vs building a team. That's a good description of the what we've been doing for a long time. It really sums up why I like McD, he might not be any good, but his approach at least has a chance to work. That's a step in the right direction.

Great article.

Comment

• Swiper
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                    Whaley was always swinging for the fences. And that was all about him, not the team. He made big, splashy gambles that blew up in the organization's face.

This article makes me feel a little better about Terry Pegula. Ralph never adapted. He was rigid. Set in his ways. That's why guys like Polian, Butler, Saban and Knox ended up going elsewhere.

I like that Terry seems to be learning from his mistakes and taking a different approach.
                    I hope you're right about Pegula. Ralph was never one to adapt like that.

Comment

• Manwiththeplan
                      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim View Post
                      Mike Lombardi has a great op ed out today that both explains the context for the Whaley firing and provides some optimism regarding our organizational direction. Here's an excerpt, but you probably want to read the full piece.

. . . In football, a successful partnership between the head coach and GM starts with a philosophical connection. I was a more effective personnel man working for Patriots head coach Bill Belichick; we share the same vision for what it takes to win in the NFL. When I wasn’t with Bill, I was horrible working with … I’ll leave out the name, as it pains me to even remember. The cohesiveness between coach and GM is vital to an organization. Pete Carroll found it with John Schneider in Seattle, Ted Thompson found it with Mike McCarthy in Green Bay, and the Steelers have always had it with whoever is their GM — in this case, Kevin Colbert — and their head coach, Mike Tomlin.

The finest organizations in the NFL — Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New England, Seattle, Kansas City, Denver, Baltimore, and the New York Giants; or as I call them, “the Magnificent Eight” — are always aligned. Internal fighting does not exist between management and coaching staffs. Therefore, when complicated issues arise, and they always do on a football team, the team has a way to correct them, not blame another department. When the “blame game” starts, it’s over — coaches blame scouts, scouts blame coaches, owners blame everyone. And sooner or later, there are no survivors.

Buffalo hasn’t had the alignment needed to compete at the highest level for 15 miserable years, in part because former owner Ralph Wilson loved the traditional approach: coaches coach, scouts scout. The front office drafted the players and controlled the roster, and the coaches coached the team. It’s a baseball-ish management structure. And it might work in baseball. But not in football, as Bills fans have painfully come to realize. The Pegulas have, too.

All that changed with the hiring of McDermott, who was brought up in the Andy Reid school of assistants. He understands the importance of having one vision and the need to have an entire organization operating under one set of rules. Just read what he said after the draft: “We’re going with that one-voice approach, and streamlined and aligned on what we’re doing, why we’re doing it, and how we’re doing it.”

Good for the Bills. They may finally have a chance to catch the Pats. Not because Whaley was bad at his job, but rather because he was picking players, not building a team. Being a GM in the NFL is not like being a fantasy football owner. There has to be an understanding of the essentials needed for a team to succeed. And when the head coach and GM don’t agree on those essentials, there is chaos, followed by losing.
                      Good read, thanks. Whaley was good at seeing talent in a bubble.lots of good short sighted moved but was not good at seeing the big picture and correlating player and plans to meet one goal.

Comment

• jamze132
                        Don’t hate…
                        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                        So who services Kim now?
                        Guess I can?

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                          • Jun 2024

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
                          Guess I can?
                          Please proceed with caution.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                            Buffalo Bills Fan
                            • Sep 2003

Thanks...good read.
                            Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• psubills62
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2008

Good read, mostly because it echoes a lot of the things I've been saying about this approach. Sure hope it works here.
                              "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

Working...
                              X