X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

Should The Bills Trade Sammy Watkins?

Let's look at the contract numbers first.

Sammy Watkins contract and salary cap details, including signing bonus, guaranteed salary, dead money, roster bonuses, and contract history

If the Bills trade Sammy Watkins, the dead cap hit goes down to $3.2 million and the cap savings would be $3.1 million.

Sammy Watkins contract and salary cap details, full contract breakdowns, salaries, signing bonus, roster bonus, dead money, and valuations.

Ditto. Same numbers.

What about Sammy's numbers/production?

The 2014 NFL season stats per game for Sammy Watkins of the Baltimore Ravens on ESPN. Includes full stats, per opponent, for regular and postseason.

The 2015 NFL season stats per game for Sammy Watkins of the Baltimore Ravens on ESPN. Includes full stats, per opponent, for regular and postseason.

The 2022 NFL season stats per game for Sammy Watkins of the Baltimore Ravens on ESPN. Includes full stats, per opponent, for regular and postseason.

For what the Bills gave up to draft him, Sammy Watkins has not produced, mainly due to injury.

Not making excuses, but when healthy Watkins is elite.

His foot injury needs to heal for a full year, in my non medical opinion.

Who was it that had the same injury as Watkins and sat out an entire year?

Edelman? Julio Jones? Not sure...but I don't think Watkins is going to be ready to go Week 1.

Watkins deserves a fresh start for him and his family.

With all of the stupid injuries he's had to deal with, a young and very talented football player in the NFL may interpret that as God's way of saying you need to be playing football in a different NFL city.

I'd be happy with a 2nd round pick in 2018.
  • Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

Re: Should The Bills Trade Sammy Watkins?

No one will trade for him when they can just wait and see if he's healthy and might be an FA anyway next season, when there will be a cheaper crop of healthy fresh receivers available in the draft, and with spread and air raid offenses, there always will be.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
      • Mar 2013

Case settled, Mace wins.

Comment

• Buddo
        • Mar 2007

He's also the only proven WR we actually have on the team.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
          Skoobasaurus-Rex
          • Oct 2011

Let's add in Tyrod and assure we pick first next season.

Comment

• Swiper
            • Sep 2010

Another ridiculous thread.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
              • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
              He just can't help himself...

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

If somebody called up and asked about the possibility, I'd certainly entertain an offer.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• mdcas22
                  the mouth of the south
                  • Aug 2015

we be better off keeping him to see if he is what we hope he is and if he is we franchise him, cost us about 1 mil more than if we ext the 5 year option which to me was the right thing to do with his injury history.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                    He just can't help himself...

I literally can not stop laughing!

One of the funniest videos I've ever seen on the internet!!!

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                      Whaley and the entire scouting department that scouted Sammy Watkins (and EJ Manuel) are gone.

Sammy Watkins is no longer protected by Whaley, he's just another guy on team.

How many games do you expect Watkins to play in the 2017 season?

I'd say about 10 at most.

Do you think Sammy Watkins will ever be a "great" NFL wide receiver?

Right now I'd say no.

If the Bills can't trade Watkins, McDermott might just cut him.

When is the last time an NFL team was built around an elite wide receiver?

Remember when the Detroit Lions had that Megatron guy and they drafted 400 wide receivers for like 5 years straight?

For the last 16 years the Patriots had one diva receiver in Randy Moss, and they never drafted a wide receiver in the first round of the NFL Draft.

You think McDermott gives a rats ass about how much Whaley gave up to draft Watkins?

If Watkins can't play, what is his value?

Comment

• Turf
                        • Jul 2002

We need a moron button next to thanks.
                        Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Arm of Harm
                          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
                          Whaley and the entire scouting department that scouted Sammy Watkins (and EJ Manuel) are gone.

Sammy Watkins is no longer protected by Whaley, he's just another guy on team.

How many games do you expect Watkins to play in the 2017 season?

I'd say about 10 at most.

Do you think Sammy Watkins will ever be a "great" NFL wide receiver?

Right now I'd say no.

If the Bills can't trade Watkins, McDermott might just cut him.

When is the last time an NFL team was built around an elite wide receiver?

Remember when the Detroit Lions had that Megatron guy and they drafted 400 wide receivers for like 5 years straight?

For the last 16 years the Patriots had one diva receiver in Randy Moss, and they never drafted a wide receiver in the first round of the NFL Draft.

You think McDermott gives a rats ass about how much Whaley gave up to draft Watkins?

If Watkins can't play, what is his value?
                          In answer to your question, the Cardinals team which narrowly lost the Super Bowl to the Steelers was largely built around WRs. That Cardinals team's defense was reasonably good, but nothing special. Their RBs were okay, but not great. Their offensive line was certainly nothing to write home about. Their LT was a Bills castoff, whose name I forget. That team only had two special things going for it: their QB, and their wide receivers. Kurt Warner was an underrated QB who was very very good. And their WR corps consisted of a truly elite Larry Fitzgerald and a very good Anquan Boldin. Those three players--along with a credible supporting cast--were almost sufficient to get Arizona a Super Bowl win.

Obviously something like this can't work unless you have a quarterback. Which the Bills don't.

Comment

• Historian
                            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                            • Dec 2002

If there is one thing I see in McD, it's fairness.

He's going to give every man on the roster a fair shake to succeed, even Sammy, despite the shortcomings at QB.

I don't really think you would find many takers.

It would have to be a team that has the cap space, as well as the luxury of waiting for him to heal.

Comment

• GreedoII
                              • Aug 2007

they had QB...hall of fame one for that matter so stop

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Arm of Harm View Post
                              In answer to your question, the Cardinals team which narrowly lost the Super Bowl to the Steelers was largely built around WRs. That Cardinals team's defense was reasonably good, but nothing special. Their RBs were okay, but not great. Their offensive line was certainly nothing to write home about. Their LT was a Bills castoff, whose name I forget. That team only had two special things going for it: their QB, and their wide receivers. Kurt Warner was an underrated QB who was very very good. And their WR corps consisted of a truly elite Larry Fitzgerald and a very good Anquan Boldin. Those three players--along with a credible supporting cast--were almost sufficient to get Arizona a Super Bowl win.

they had QB...hall of fame one for that matter so stop

Obviously something like this can't work unless you have a quarterback. Which the Bills don't.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍