PDA

View Full Version : 49ers cut WR KD Cannon for not finishing out a rep......wow, John Lynch ain't fooling

DraftCzar
05-07-2017, 06:40 PM
Even though Cannon with Baylor last season logged 1,215 yards on 87 receptions and scored 13 receiving touchdowns he went undrafted.
He then signed as an UDFA with the 49ers right after the draft.

KD Cannon’s career with the 49ers didn’t last long.

In a practice rep during rookie minicamp Friday, Cannon gained separation from his defender, made a catch in stride over the middle of the field, but didn’t finishing running out the rep. New general manager John Lynch has stressed the importance of culture since getting hired over the winter. So Cannon was released.

John Lynch ain't fooling. And after convincing Chicago to swap spots (from #3 to #2) in exchange for 3 extra picks - a 3rd and 4th round pick this year, and a 2018 third-round pick, shows things have changed in San Francisco.

I hope San Fran wins 6-7 games this year and isn't in the Top 5 of the NFL draft next year.

YardRat
05-07-2017, 06:53 PM
Sounds like a dick move to me.

Novacane
05-07-2017, 07:37 PM
Cutting an undrafted FA shows he's set a new culture? LMAO. Do that to a 2nd round pick if you're such a tough guy!

Skooby
05-07-2017, 07:45 PM
Camp fodder.

poplarbluffman
05-07-2017, 07:55 PM
toughness matters....would expect Cannon fell because of character issues...

Luisito23
05-07-2017, 08:41 PM
Sign him!

Arm of Harm
05-07-2017, 11:10 PM
"So Cannon was released."

I disagree with the above sentence. Cannon was not released. Cannon was fired!

Just to add to my post: there are some school teachers who believe in sending someone to the principal's office on the very first day of school. The theory is that this sets the tone, making the class as a whole less likely to misbehave throughout the year. I'm guessing that Lynch used a similar thought process, thinking that he had to fire someone over a minor disciplinary violation. Obviously an UDFA is among your more expendable players.

stuckincincy
05-07-2017, 11:58 PM
My guess is that he mouthed off.

YardRat
05-08-2017, 05:34 AM
"So Cannon was released."

I disagree with the above sentence. Cannon was not released. Cannon was fired!

Just to add to my post: there are some school teachers who believe in sending someone to the principal's office on the very first day of school. The theory is that this sets the tone, making the class as a whole less likely to misbehave throughout the year. I'm guessing that Lynch used a similar thought process, thinking that he had to fire someone over a minor disciplinary violation. Obviously an UDFA is among your more expendable players.

Those people don't deserve to be employed as teachers.

DraftBoy
05-08-2017, 06:06 AM
My guess is that the partially completed rep had nothing to do with his release. But it gets clicks.

Joe Fo Sho
05-08-2017, 10:17 AM
My guess is that the partially completed rep had nothing to do with his release. But it gets clicks.

Jimmy Johnson once cut a player for sleeping during a meeting. He also said that if it were Troy Aikman sleeping during the meeting, he would have softly walked over to him, lightly touched his shoulder, and said "Troy, please wake up."

Jimkelly12203
05-08-2017, 11:31 AM
Had to be more to it. Though i did work for a vice president who also happens to be a sociopath once upon a time who canned people for trivial stupid stuff all the time. Just to show everyone who is boss and to lead by fear.

jimmifli
05-08-2017, 01:40 PM
Sounds like a dick move to me.

The GM equivalent of Greggggg's bullhorn. The sentiment is good, but the execution shows a huge lack of understanding of what actually motivates and changes culture.

DesertFox24
05-08-2017, 02:26 PM
Joe Fo Sho said it best. KD cannon was probably not going to make the team so they made an example of him. Had Solomon Thomas done the same thing absolutely nothing would happen. This is more of a joke if you ask me, but whatever floats your boat. If you think for one second the other players on the team do not know the reason he was cut was because he was an UDFA you are mistaken.

jimmifli
05-08-2017, 05:35 PM
Joe Fo Sho said it best. KD cannon was probably not going to make the team so they made an example of him. Had Solomon Thomas done the same thing absolutely nothing would happen. This is more of a joke if you ask me, but whatever floats your boat. If you think for one second the other players on the team do not know the reason he was cut was because he was an UDFA you are mistaken.
Of course they know. And they think it's amateurish to play games with an UDFA to make a point. I don't think that was the message he intended to send.

JoeMama
05-08-2017, 05:59 PM
The GM equivalent of Greggggg's bullhorn. The sentiment is good, but the execution shows a huge lack of understanding of what actually motivates and changes culture.

Gregg Williams and his stupid bull horn...

That was such a transparent PR stunt to please the fan base who viewed Wade Phillips as too lax.

I'm surprised Gregg Williams and Russ Brandon aren't gay married. They love empty PR gestures as a means to mask incompetence.

jlgarsh
05-08-2017, 09:42 PM
I'd kick the tires on KD Cannon. He had some monster games for Baylor. I'm not saying he'll pan out, but what would it hurt to look into?