49ers cut WR KD Cannon for not finishing out a rep......wow, John Lynch ain't fooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftCzar
    • May 2017

49ers cut WR KD Cannon for not finishing out a rep......wow, John Lynch ain't fooling

Even though Cannon with Baylor last season logged 1,215 yards on 87 receptions and scored 13 receiving touchdowns he went undrafted.
    He then signed as an UDFA with the 49ers right after the draft.

KD Cannon’s career with the 49ers didn’t last long.

In a practice rep during rookie minicamp Friday, Cannon gained separation from his defender, made a catch in stride over the middle of the field, but didn’t finishing running out the rep. New general manager John Lynch has stressed the importance of culture since getting hired over the winter. So Cannon was released.

John Lynch ain't fooling. And after convincing Chicago to swap spots (from #3 to #2) in exchange for 3 extra picks - a 3rd and 4th round pick this year, and a 2018 third-round pick, shows things have changed in San Francisco.

I hope San Fran wins 6-7 games this year and isn't in the Top 5 of the NFL draft next year.
    Last edited by DraftCzar; 05-07-2017, 06:42 PM.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: 49ers cut WR KD Cannon for not finishing out a rep......wow, John Lynch ain't foo

Sounds like a dick move to me.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Novacane
      • Jul 2002

Re: 49ers cut WR KD Cannon for not finishing out a rep......wow, John Lynch ain't foo

Cutting an undrafted FA shows he's set a new culture? LMAO. Do that to a 2nd round pick if you're such a tough guy!

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
        Skoobasaurus-Rex
        • Oct 2011

Camp fodder.

Comment

• poplarbluffman
          • Apr 2017

toughness matters....would expect Cannon fell because of character issues...

Comment

• Luisito23
            Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
            • Apr 2003

Sign him!
            "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
            ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
            ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
            ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Arm of Harm
              • Dec 2015

"So Cannon was released."

I disagree with the above sentence. Cannon was not released. Cannon was fired!

Just to add to my post: there are some school teachers who believe in sending someone to the principal's office on the very first day of school. The theory is that this sets the tone, making the class as a whole less likely to misbehave throughout the year. I'm guessing that Lynch used a similar thought process, thinking that he had to fire someone over a minor disciplinary violation. Obviously an UDFA is among your more expendable players.

Last edited by Arm of Harm; 05-07-2017, 11:14 PM.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                Buffalo Bills Fan
                • Sep 2003

My guess is that he mouthed off.
                Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Arm of Harm View Post
                  "So Cannon was released."

I disagree with the above sentence. Cannon was not released. Cannon was fired!

Just to add to my post: there are some school teachers who believe in sending someone to the principal's office on the very first day of school. The theory is that this sets the tone, making the class as a whole less likely to misbehave throughout the year. I'm guessing that Lynch used a similar thought process, thinking that he had to fire someone over a minor disciplinary violation. Obviously an UDFA is among your more expendable players.

Those people don't deserve to be employed as teachers.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

My guess is that the partially completed rep had nothing to do with his release. But it gets clicks.
                    COMING SOON...
                    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                      Making Spirits Bright
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                      My guess is that the partially completed rep had nothing to do with his release. But it gets clicks.
                      Jimmy Johnson once cut a player for sleeping during a meeting. He also said that if it were Troy Aikman sleeping during the meeting, he would have softly walked over to him, lightly touched his shoulder, and said "Troy, please wake up."

Comment

• Jimkelly12203
                        • Jun 2015

Had to be more to it. Though i did work for a vice president who also happens to be a sociopath once upon a time who canned people for trivial stupid stuff all the time. Just to show everyone who is boss and to lead by fear.
                        All Hail Josh Allen! Savior of the Buffalo Bills!

Freedom for the Ukraine. Down with Putin and every traitor in this country that supports him.

Comment

• jimmifli
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                          Sounds like a dick move to me.
                          The GM equivalent of Greggggg's bullhorn. The sentiment is good, but the execution shows a huge lack of understanding of what actually motivates and changes culture.

Comment

• DesertFox24
                            • Jul 2005

Joe Fo Sho said it best. KD cannon was probably not going to make the team so they made an example of him. Had Solomon Thomas done the same thing absolutely nothing would happen. This is more of a joke if you ask me, but whatever floats your boat. If you think for one second the other players on the team do not know the reason he was cut was because he was an UDFA you are mistaken.

Comment

• jimmifli
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
                              Joe Fo Sho said it best. KD cannon was probably not going to make the team so they made an example of him. Had Solomon Thomas done the same thing absolutely nothing would happen. This is more of a joke if you ask me, but whatever floats your boat. If you think for one second the other players on the team do not know the reason he was cut was because he was an UDFA you are mistaken.
                              Of course they know. And they think it's amateurish to play games with an UDFA to make a point. I don't think that was the message he intended to send.

Comment

Working...
                              X