PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Buckeyes QB Cardale Jones graduates from Ohio State

Dr. Lecter
05-07-2017, 10:01 PM
Former Buckeyes quarterback Cardale Jones graduated from Ohio State on Sunday, using his graduation cap to poke fun at his infamous 2012 tweet that declared "classes are pointless" for football players and that "we ain't come here to play school."

Jones told The Columbus Dispatch in February that he returned to Ohio State this spring to complete two remaining classes toward his degree in African-American and African studies. He had left the school in 2016 to declare for the NFL draft. The Buffalo Bills selected him in the fourth round.

As a freshman in 2012, Jones questioned the importance of going to class in a tweet that drew national attention. Jones later deleted his Twitter account, and the university issued a statement reminding student-athletes not to post anything to social media that could "embarrass themselves, their team, teammates, the university, their family or other groups, organizations or people."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19331741/ex-buckeyes-qb-cardale-jones-pokes-fun-2012-tweet-graduates-ohio-state

Nice to see a guy go back and finish his degree.

Skooby
05-07-2017, 10:13 PM
Good for him, his career ended in college.

stuckincincy
05-07-2017, 11:42 PM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19331741/ex-buckeyes-qb-cardale-jones-pokes-fun-2012-tweet-graduates-ohio-state

Good for him.

YardRat
05-08-2017, 05:37 AM
Congrats :beers:

Historian
05-08-2017, 06:00 AM
to complete two remaining classes toward his degree in African-American and African studies.

Discopatty needs to enroll in that curriculum...

SpikedLemonade
05-08-2017, 08:19 AM

So what is the purpose of that program -- to be a better Black man?

poplarbluffman
05-08-2017, 01:52 PM
So what is the purpose of that program -- to be a better Black man?

maybe to gain l knowledge about blacks role in American history/society...https://aaas.osu.edu/students/undergrad/courses list of undergraduate courses

I follow the draft and when I see someone with a real major not sociology or com I take notice schools would offer basket weaving as a major if they could...

WagonCircler
05-08-2017, 02:22 PM
Hopefully the ex-Buckeyes QB will soon graduate to ex-Bills QB Cardale Jones.

OpIv37
05-08-2017, 02:25 PM
maybe to gain l knowledge about blacks role in American history/society...https://aaas.osu.edu/students/undergrad/courses list of undergraduate courses

I follow the draft and when I see someone with a real major not sociology or com I take notice schools would offer basket weaving as a major if they could...
Don't be so quick to judge. When I went to Niagara U, the communications major was for hockey and basketball players who were too dumb to take anything else. Every school has a few of those.

But some schools have excellent communications programs, one of them being Syracuse.

JoeMama
05-08-2017, 02:47 PM
I did get a kick out of the message scribbled on his oxford cap.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/sites/default/files/c/2017/05/Screen,P20Shot,P202017-05-07,P20at,P2012.06.15,P20PM.jpg.pagespeed.ce.n7O-2_rziA.jpg

Bill Cody
05-08-2017, 03:36 PM
I give him credit for finishing

I also said he was a wasted pick a year ago and I still feel that way

WagonCircler
05-08-2017, 04:01 PM
This:

I give him credit for finishing

I also said he was a wasted pick a year ago and I still feel that way

Dr. Lecter
05-08-2017, 04:18 PM
Hopefully the ex-Buckeyes QB will soon graduate to ex-Bills QB Cardale Jones.

I would rather see him turn into a top level NFL QB, even if the odds are against it.

Guess we differ there

swiper
05-08-2017, 05:12 PM
Why is this guy graduating from college any more special than anyone else doing it?

YardRat
05-08-2017, 05:14 PM
Who said it was 'more special'?

WagonCircler
05-08-2017, 05:18 PM
I would rather see him turn into a top level NFL QB, even if the odds are against it.

Guess we differ there

I'd rather see the Bills roster spots for QBs filled with QBs who have the aptitude and the ability to process and execute. They had to teach Cardale how to take a snap from center last year. In the NFL. You keep dreaming, little dreamer.

The Whaley era is over. Time to clean hose of all of his moronic, ill-advised projects.

swiper
05-08-2017, 05:28 PM

Because everyone seems to be making such a big deal out of it. And everyone falling in line to congratulate him. So what? BFD.

Then who cares? The guy is a dumb tool.

poplarbluffman
05-08-2017, 05:33 PM
Don't be so quick to judge. When I went to Niagara U, the communications major was for hockey and basketball players who were too dumb to take anything else. Every school has a few of those.

But some schools have excellent communications programs, one of them being Syracuse.

and a large # of football players will avoid them....also start my research by looking at a players bio/college majors easy to find what program is there just for the "sports only" athletes types

Goff went to Cal a top brainiac school and majored in sociology and never won any academic awards...real red flag

poplarbluffman
05-08-2017, 05:35 PM
Because everyone seems to be making such a big deal out of it. And everyone falling in line to congratulate him. So what? BFD.

Then who cares? The guy is a dumb tool.

based on what? IMO very smart/high character player

Cardale Jones scored a 25 on the Wonderlic, the intelligence test hopeful NFL players take during the draft process, according to Rand Getlin of the NFL Network.
ADVERTISING
inRead invented by Teads (http://inread-experience.teads.tv)

Nobody really knows if a player’s Wonderlic (you can take a sample test here (http://wonderlictestsample.com/)) score actually means anything relative to NFL success, but Jones’ 25 is a solid one.
Fellow NFL quarterback hopeful Carson Wentz reportedly scored a 29. Peyton Manning scored a 28, Ben Roethlisberger scored a 25 and Cam Newton scored a 21. Johnny Manziel scored a 32.
Jones is also reportedly receiving “rave reviews” from the NFL teams he has met with.
http://thespun.com/big-ten/ohio-state-football-news/heres-what-ohio-states-cardale-jones-reportedly-scored-on-the-wonderlic-buckeyes

swiper
05-08-2017, 05:46 PM
based on what? IMO very smart/high character player

Cardale Jones scored a 25 on the Wonderlic, the intelligence test hopeful NFL players take during the draft process, according to Rand Getlin of the NFL Network.
ADVERTISING
inRead invented by Teads (http://inread-experience.teads.tv)

Nobody really knows if a player’s Wonderlic (you can take a sample test here (http://wonderlictestsample.com/)) score actually means anything relative to NFL success, but Jones’ 25 is a solid one.
Fellow NFL quarterback hopeful Carson Wentz reportedly scored a 29. Peyton Manning scored a 28, Ben Roethlisberger scored a 25 and Cam Newton scored a 21. Johnny Manziel scored a 32.
Jones is also reportedly receiving “rave reviews” from the NFL teams he has met with.
http://thespun.com/big-ten/ohio-state-football-news/heres-what-ohio-states-cardale-jones-reportedly-scored-on-the-wonderlic-buckeyes

Who cares if he got his degree? Who cares? You shouldn't. He's not special in any way.

poplarbluffman
05-08-2017, 06:11 PM
Who cares if he got his degree? Who cares? You shouldn't. He's not special in any way.

you seem to have an agenda...smart, played very well in biggest stage in college, elite size, elite physical tools....actually special in all ways that predict future NFL success...except career college starts

as a Bills fan I would think you would want all Bills players to be great instead of hoping some fail for whatever reason

jlgarsh
05-08-2017, 09:39 PM
Good for him for going back to school after entering the NFL. He might not end up as a star QB in the NFL, but he'll always have his degree.

Mace
05-08-2017, 09:54 PM
Well, I'm glad for him and well done. I don't see anything bad in someone getting a degree in whatever. It's an achievement a lot of people never manage to attain, for better or worse.

I've known successful people not working in their educated field, unsuccessful people doing the same, and both also in their fields. Probably the point is that Cardale finished what he started and made fun of himself happily while doing so.

I like the guy. He's an amiable goof. Doesn't mean he'll be a great QB but the book isn't closed on it yet. Mean time he finished his college. Nothing there to snark about. Even if he ends up being a crap QB or not developing any, it's not his fault we drafted him. I never finished my BS and I was never drafted by the NFL, so he's two up on me. He's at least one up on most.

Good that he got it. It's an accomplishment.

Now that he has that out of the way, he can work on the QB part, for better or worse.

WagonCircler
05-08-2017, 10:54 PM
Now that he has that out of the way, he can work on the QB part, for better or worse.

Yes.

Somewhere else.

We've waited 17 years for a playoff game. We don't have time for projects who were baffled by the likes of Northern Illinois to the point that they were benched permanently.

poplarbluffman
05-09-2017, 03:52 AM
Yes.

Somewhere else.

We've waited 17 years for a playoff game. We don't have time for projects who were baffled by the likes of Northern Illinois to the point that they were benched permanently.
research...research..research

And Jones isn’t the only one excited by his accomplishment. New Texas coach Tom Herman, who was the offensive coordinator at OSU during Jones’ time there and is a known fan of rap music, is missing Migos and Chance the Rapper (http://www.hookem.com/2017/04/17/tom-herman-picks-seeing-old-qb-cardale-jones-graduate-meeting-famous-rappers/), who are in Austin this weekend, to see Jones graduate.

that Ohio st offense collapsed after Herman signed as HC at Houston including all the qb's. Herman and Jones are still so close that Herman went to see Jones graduation and Jones spent 3/4 days with Herman and his family before he was drafted. That Jones graduated speaks volumes about a young man that has an inner drive to finish what he starts...that translates to football..when asked if he was going to have a draft party Cardale Jones said , why I haven't done anything yet....same theme.. same inner drive

loved Jones 2 years ago and Peterman this year...both have the tangibles and intangibles to be successful NFL qb's

swiper
05-09-2017, 04:30 AM
research...research..research

And Jones isn’t the only one excited by his accomplishment. New Texas coach Tom Herman, who was the offensive coordinator at OSU during Jones’ time there and is a known fan of rap music, is missing Migos and Chance the Rapper (http://www.hookem.com/2017/04/17/tom-herman-picks-seeing-old-qb-cardale-jones-graduate-meeting-famous-rappers/), who are in Austin this weekend, to see Jones graduate.

that Ohio st offense collapsed after Herman signed as HC at Houston including all the qb's. Herman and Jones are still so close that Herman went to see Jones graduation and Jones spent 3/4 days with Herman and his family before he was drafted. That Jones graduated speaks volumes about a young man that has an inner drive to finish what he starts...that translates to football..when asked if he was going to have a draft party Cardale Jones said , why I haven't done anything yet....same theme.. same inner drive

loved Jones 2 years ago and Peterman this year...both have the tangibles and intangibles to be successful NFL qb's

Well your not very smart. But, in fact, you seem to be the one with the agenda. You look awfully close at lousy QBs. As EJ Manual was terribly inaccurate, Jones was worse. And, as I've said before, Peterman looked bad in the Senior Bowl. Unless of course you see short, behind the line of scrimmage passes, as the next Tom Brady. LOL at the little boys with computers. These are not big time QBs by any stretch of the imagination. And I certainly could give a crap about Jones graduating college.

WagonCircler
05-09-2017, 08:53 AM
..both have the tangibles and intangibles to be successful NFL qb's

You can tell yourself that about Jones all you want to. That doesn't make it true.

And who gives a flying **** that a rapper is excited to see Cardale graduate from OhighSchool State?

swiper
05-09-2017, 10:00 AM
First of all he doesn't have all the intangibles that poster claims. Jamarcus Russell did however and he turned out to be.... Oh wait.

No matter how much certain fans are going to wish & pray for it Jones is not the next Dak Prescott.

poplarbluffman
05-09-2017, 11:48 AM
First of all he doesn't have all the intangibles that poster claims. Jamarcus Russell did however and he turned out to be.... Oh wait.

No matter how much certain fans are going to wish & pray for it Jones is not the next Dak Prescott.

think you need to look up the meaning of intangibles before you post again

poplarbluffman
05-09-2017, 11:50 AM
You can tell yourself that about Jones all you want to. That doesn't make it true.

And who gives a flying **** that a rapper is excited to see Cardale graduate from OhighSchool State?

reading skills? his x offensive coordinator at Ohio st went so see him graduate...lol...just shake my head

WagonCircler
05-09-2017, 12:01 PM
reading skills? his x offensive coordinator at Ohio st went so see him graduate...lol...just shake my head

Good Lord. So you were making the case that this guy made a HUGE sacrifice by missing a rap concert to go to a graduation ceremony?

That tells me everything I need to know about you.

poplarbluffman
05-09-2017, 12:08 PM
Well your not very smart. But, in fact, you seem to be the one with the agenda. You look awfully close at lousy QBs. As EJ Manual was terribly inaccurate, Jones was worse. And, as I've said before, Peterman looked bad in the Senior Bowl. Unless of course you see short, behind the line of scrimmage passes, as the next Tom Brady. LOL at the little boys with computers. These are not big time QBs by any stretch of the imagination. And I certainly could give a crap about Jones graduating college.

..a draft expert I'm in luck!
Peterman (6 feet 2, 225 pounds) arrived at the Senior Bowl projected as a fourth-round pick, but there’s a clear buzz that indicates his stock might rise. Senior Bowl executive director Phil Savage, who served as the Browns’ general manager from 2005-08, says Peterman’s name came up often during the season. “During the fall, Nate was the senior quarterback that had that a quiet buzz under the radar, so to speak,” Savage said. “There were a lot of scouts who told me, ‘The quarterback at Pitt is really interesting.’ He was essentially an automatic invite to come here.”
Savage also believes Peterman’s skill set will translate well to the NFL level.
“He has timing in his feet and his arm and his eyes,” Savage said. “In the NFL, you’ve got to be a quick decision-maker and I think he can do that.”

http://gridironnow.com/josh-dobbs-nathan-peterman-senior-bowl/<small class="time"> </small> ESPN analyst Jon Gruden says he thinks 4 QBs will go in the first round. He also considers Pitt's Nate Peterman the most NFL ready.

Phil Savage on which Senior Bowl QBs could be next Dak: "I think Nate Peterman has a golden opportunity to really showcase what he can do."

Rogers earned the third-highest <s>@</s>PFF (https://twitter.com/PFF) offensive grade for the North at the Senior Bowl (82.4), behind Nathan Peterman and Zay Jones.

“The guy just has really good command,” one scout said. “Got a lot of poise, lot of moxie. Not the most gifted physically but the guy moves around well.” Completed a master’s in business degree. Wonderlic of 33. “Like him,” said another scout. “He’s a Brian Hoyer. Good, tough, mid-round guy that if he gets in the right system maybe he becomes a starter.” Completion mark of 60% and rating of 98 (111.2 in ’16). Marginal runner. “Played really well at the Senior Bowl,” a third scout said. “That’s obviously a big deal for a quarterback. Go down there and work in somebody else’s system with a bunch of guys you haven’t worked with. Then you go back and start watching his film and you say, ‘You know what? This guy is pretty good.’ Not a top-tier starter, but I think he is a starter.”

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/mcginn/2017/04/22/ranking-nfl-draft-prospects-quarterbacks/100736988/

can't wait to read you scouting reports on Cardale Jones..bet they will be just as useful

swiper
05-09-2017, 12:11 PM
think you need to look up the meaning of intangibles before you post again

I have a couple of college degrees and a couple of letters after my last name. I know what intangibles are. You, however, may need some remedial teaching.

swiper
05-09-2017, 12:13 PM
..a draft expert I'm in luck!
Peterman (6 feet 2, 225 pounds) arrived at the Senior Bowl projected as a fourth-round pick, but there’s a clear buzz that indicates his stock might rise. Senior Bowl executive director Phil Savage, who served as the Browns’ general manager from 2005-08, says Peterman’s name came up often during the season. “During the fall, Nate was the senior quarterback that had that a quiet buzz under the radar, so to speak,” Savage said. “There were a lot of scouts who told me, ‘The quarterback at Pitt is really interesting.’ He was essentially an automatic invite to come here.”
Savage also believes Peterman’s skill set will translate well to the NFL level.
“He has timing in his feet and his arm and his eyes,” Savage said. “In the NFL, you’ve got to be a quick decision-maker and I think he can do that.”

http://gridironnow.com/josh-dobbs-nathan-peterman-senior-bowl/<small class="time"> </small> ESPN analyst Jon Gruden says he thinks 4 QBs will go in the first round. He also considers Pitt's Nate Peterman the most NFL ready.

Phil Savage on which Senior Bowl QBs could be next Dak: "I think Nate Peterman has a golden opportunity to really showcase what he can do."

Rogers earned the third-highest <s>@</s>PFF (https://twitter.com/PFF) offensive grade for the North at the Senior Bowl (82.4), behind Nathan Peterman and Zay Jones.

“The guy just has really good command,” one scout said. “Got a lot of poise, lot of moxie. Not the most gifted physically but the guy moves around well.” Completed a master’s in business degree. Wonderlic of 33. “Like him,” said another scout. “He’s a Brian Hoyer. Good, tough, mid-round guy that if he gets in the right system maybe he becomes a starter.” Completion mark of 60% and rating of 98 (111.2 in ’16). Marginal runner. “Played really well at the Senior Bowl,” a third scout said. “That’s obviously a big deal for a quarterback. Go down there and work in somebody else’s system with a bunch of guys you haven’t worked with. Then you go back and start watching his film and you say, ‘You know what? This guy is pretty good.’ Not a top-tier starter, but I think he is a starter.”

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/mcginn/2017/04/22/ranking-nfl-draft-prospects-quarterbacks/100736988/

can't wait to read you scouting reports on Cardale Jones..bet they will be just as useful

Again. I watched the game. If completing 3 yard passed behind the line of scrimmage is the bar for a good performance, then he was there. Otherwise you should just crawl back under the rock you came out from.

And your expert compares him to Brian Hoyer. :rofl: Idiot alert.

SpikedLemonade
05-09-2017, 01:27 PM
I have a couple of college degrees and a couple of letters after my last name. I know what intangibles are. You, however, may need some remedial teaching.

AssWiper, please be nice to peasants.

JoeMama
05-09-2017, 01:40 PM
Yes.

Somewhere else.

Ouch.

Has anyone ever drafted a backup college QB in the first four rounds of the NFL draft besides Doug Whaley?

I have to believe that's a record.

swiper
05-09-2017, 01:46 PM
ROFL. ~ +1 to JoeMama

poplarbluffman
05-11-2017, 05:32 AM
AssWiper, please be nice to peasants.

evidently degrees don't mean what they use to..Russell had elite "tangibles" not elite "intangibles" intangibles are character/work ethic ect if it helps you
One story, which may be apocryphal, illustrates that fact perfectly. The story comes from Russell’s Raider teammate Warren Sapp, who relayed the story to Rich Eisen.
Here’s the story according to Eisen (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000210130/article/jamarcus-russell-and-the-raiders-blank-dvd-caper)…
The Oakland coaching staff would routinely give Russell DVDs featuring gameplans and new plays for him to study. The coaches started to suspect the rookie wasn’t doing his homework and came up with a brilliant plot to test him. One day they asked Russell how he liked the gameplan on the DVD they had sent him home with the previous night. He said he did, but there was one problem: The coaches purposefully gave him a blank DVD. Their suspicions were confirmed.
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/nfl-draft-bust-jamarcus-russell-blank-dvd-story-raiders

Cardale Jones has elite intangibles AND tangibles..things like size/arm stength..hope that helps

swiper
05-12-2017, 12:39 PM
Cardale Jones has elite intangibles AND tangibles..things like size/arm stength..hope that helps

Not really, as you are sadly wrong. Come back when you understand what intangibles really are.

Tom Brady has intangibles. Ben Roethlisberger has intangibles. Cardale Jones does not have intangibles. So dumb.

When Jones breaks out in the scene this year I'll do a mea culpa. But I'm not worried that will ever happen. He doesn't have the football acumen to ever amount to anything. Nor the physical intangibles to do anything. He was a back-up QB at Ohio State for God's sake. That's lame in and of itself.

Historian
05-13-2017, 04:44 AM
The Oakland coaching staff would routinely give Russell DVDs featuring gameplans and new plays for him to study. The coaches started to suspect the rookie wasn’t doing his homework and came up with a brilliant plot to test him. One day they asked Russell how he liked the gameplan on the DVD they had sent him home with the previous night. He said he did, but there was one problem: The coaches purposefully gave him a blank DVD. Their suspicions were confirmed.

Hobert Syndrome....rofl.

I don't think we know enough about Jones to make an informed decision....other than in the one chance he had to play, he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

He looked like a bigger version of Geno Smith.

Now is one game a fair test? Probably not, but my guess is that he was only drafted to be a career backup to begin with.

Personally, I think he is going to be the odd man out, unless anybody thinks they are going to carry four QBs?

poplarbluffman
05-13-2017, 07:33 AM
beware making an inductive leap on limited trials..they are .always driven by unconscious bias....

no one with any respect for logic draws any conclusions after 11 passes

HHURRICANE
05-13-2017, 08:08 AM
African American studies should get him a job if football doesn't workout...

Night Train
05-13-2017, 09:37 AM
He may be cut this summer anyhow.. but the coaches will give him a chance to sink or swim on the field.

He's been here a year and may have learned some good traits. We'll see.

swiper
05-13-2017, 09:41 AM
beware making an inductive leap on limited trials..they are .always driven by unconscious bias....

no one with any respect for logic draws any conclusions after 11 passes

You did. You are ready to give him the MVP.