PDA

View Full Version : Patriots have to pay Aaron Hernandez's estate

Skooby
05-09-2017, 11:10 AM
The dude died and got off on everything so the Pats have to pay his estate, how does this effect their cap space ??

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/09/judge-erases-aaron-hernandezs-murder-conviction/

Novacane
05-09-2017, 11:28 AM
The article does not say what your thread title claims.

Albany,n.y.
05-09-2017, 11:38 AM
OJ & Aaron-not guilty brothers in arms.

Skooby
05-09-2017, 11:43 AM
I'm letting you know ahead of time, they can't call it detrimental to the team when the guy has been cleared (via arcane MA law) so he's getting all his money. How will this effect their cap room ??

cookie G
05-09-2017, 11:57 AM

The outcome could make it impossible for the Patriots to deny further payment of the signing bonus that Hernandez earned in 2012, and likewise to reclaim all money he earned under the contract extension. Given the acquittal for the double murder that came five days before his death and the expungement of the murder conviction, Hernandez in the eyes of the law is not guilty of murder.

I read about this a few days ago, that it might have been the motive for his suicide.

A bit of a strange law, but it is what it is.

SpikedLemonade
05-09-2017, 12:05 PM
The outcome could make it impossible for the Patriots to deny further payment of the signing bonus that Hernandez earned in 2012, and likewise to reclaim all money he earned under the contract extension. Given the acquittal for the double murder that came five days before his death and the expungement of the murder conviction, Hernandez in the eyes of the law is not guilty of murder.

I read about this a few days ago, that it might have been the motive for his suicide.

A bit of a strange law, but it is what it is.

Yeah I saw that as well.

He Appealed his Guilty Verdict and therefore it does not count as a Conviction at the time of his death and is quashed along with the charges for multiple murders he was facing.

I wonder who told him about this possibility.

swiper
05-09-2017, 12:09 PM
Yeah I saw that as well.

He Appealed his Guilty Verdict and therefore it does not count as a Conviction at the time of his death and is quashed along with the charges for multiple murders he was facing.

I wonder who told him about this possibility.

Probably his lawyer. So he could get paid.

SpikedLemonade
05-09-2017, 12:18 PM

That's right.

I hope this wasn't one of my original ideas to collect legal fees.

JoeMama
05-09-2017, 01:31 PM
This story sounds like the hoodrat version of Death of a Salesman.

TigerJ
05-09-2017, 01:49 PM
Specifically, there is apparently a portion of Hernandez's which had not yet been paid. The Patriots could be liable to pay that. Should the Patriots be interested in trying to recoup from the estate money hat had previously been paid to Hernandez, the ruling also removes legal grounds to do so.

Ed
05-09-2017, 01:55 PM
So cynical. Lawyers don't think that way.

Joe Fo Sho
05-09-2017, 02:04 PM

His lawyer could have told him that his family would have been taken care of if he offed himself. If his lawyer fees were then to be taken care off, well what a happy coincidence that would be. Win-Win for everyone except the Patriots.

Ed
05-09-2017, 02:09 PM
His lawyer could have told him that his family would have been taken care of if he offed himself. If his lawyer fees were then to be taken care off, well what a happy coincidence that would be. Win-Win for everyone except the Patriots.
Except his family is still probably going to have to give whatever money they get to the victim's family after they file and likely win a wrongful death suit. Sounds like only the lawyers will win.

Joe Fo Sho
05-09-2017, 02:55 PM
Except his family is still probably going to have to give whatever money they get to the victim's family after they file and likely win a wrongful death suit.

Maybe, but it's the only shot he had at taking care of his family.

Sounds like only the lawyers will win.

As long as the Patriots lose, that's what really matters.

k-oneputt
05-09-2017, 03:19 PM
Leave it to the lib state of Mass and a lib judge.

Skooby
05-09-2017, 03:38 PM
Leave it to the lib state of Mass and a lib judge.

It's the law there so the judge actually following the law in a liberal state is quite shocking, usually they make their own rules today or cancel new laws written to show how they don't like Trump winning. It's frightening the law works the way it was written.

F-the Pats and I hope this hurts them.

JoeMama
05-09-2017, 04:11 PM
This is win/win/win.

Hernandez is dead.

His widow and kid may get his signing bonus money.

The Patriots may have to foot the bill.

And people say the legal system is broken!

tomz
05-09-2017, 04:49 PM
Gives new meaning to the term 'dead cap money.'

swiper
05-09-2017, 06:31 PM

ROFL. You can't be serious.

Skooby
05-09-2017, 07:43 PM
Gives new meaning to the term 'dead cap money.'

Haha, quite literally. How does it effect their cap ? I'm hoping it hurts them and forces them to make painful moves, which helps the Bills.

chris66
05-10-2017, 10:05 AM
Doesnt hurt their cap at all. Signing bonus was accelorated the moment they released him.
This is about paying real money.

feldspar
05-10-2017, 11:06 AM
Haha, quite literally. How does it effect their cap ? I'm hoping it hurts them and forces them to make painful moves, which helps the Bills.

The cap is the thing that affected Odin Lloyd.