If Beane is a good why Did Carolina bring in new GM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klaista2k
    • Mar 2017

If Beane is a good why Did Carolina bring in new GM?

Brandon Beane was promoted to GM of the Carolina Panthers in 2012.

Then the Panthers decided to hire a new GM from outside the organization,and demoted Beane back to an assistant.

If he was really a hot up and coming General Manager with a good football mind why would Carolina demote him?

Makes me a little skeptical.
  • Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

Re: If Beane is a good why Did Carolina bring in new GM?

Originally posted by Klaista2k View Post
    Brandon Beane was promoted to GM of the Carolina Panthers in 2012.

Then the Panthers decided to hire a new GM from outside the organization,and demoted Beane back to an assistant.

If he was really a hot up and coming General Manager with a good football mind why would Carolina demote him?

Makes me a little skeptical.
    He was promoted to interim GM with 4 less years experience. Carolina wanted to hang onto him and he was fine with it because he wasn't ready ?

Comment

• Klaista2k
      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Mace View Post
      He was promoted to interim GM with 4 less years experience. Carolina wanted to hang onto him and he was fine with it because he wasn't ready ?
      Yeah but why wouldn't they just keep him as GM?

Not sure why they felt they needed to bring in a new guy from the outside.
      Last edited by Klaista2k; 05-13-2017, 02:07 AM.

Comment

• Luisito23
        Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
        • Apr 2003

Read what Mace said again and you'll answer your own question (hopefully)
        "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
        ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
        ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
        ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
          Skoobasaurus-Rex
          • Oct 2011

He was temporary there but he's our guy now, see the logic and reasoning ?

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Carolina was going to bring somebody in from the outside, and it certainly didn't hurt Gettleman that somebody he was familiar with (Ernie Accorsi, hired to lead the search) and a good friend of the owner (Bill Polian) were both on his side at the time.

Did Beane even interview for the main gig in Carolina at the time?
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Swiper
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2010

For Bucky Gleason, he wrote a strong, optimistic article on Beane yesterday: http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/12/bu...st-impression/

He capsuled some of OBD's follies well:

The Bills have tried everything for the past 17 seasons. They had the disciplinarian in Gregg Williams and the former player in Mike Mularkey. They gave the sage old coach, Marv Levy, and the business whiz, and Russ Brandon, turns as GM. They hired the smart, quiet guy in Dick Jauron. And the offensive guy in Chan Gailey. And the loudmouth in Rex Ryan. And the young executive in Doug Whaley.
              (Follies could also be referred to as "whatever Russ Brandon could sell to the Bills fans as a fix")

It's going to be hard to shake off 17 years of the mess that was, but I'm willing to keep an open mind (one more time). Something in me sees a young Bill Polian when looking at Beane. It's an opinion based on nothing. As Gleason wrote:

I'm always leery about giving someone too much credit on the first day. In fact, the only thing we know about Beane is that he's not Whaley. He and McDermott haven't blown a first-round draft pick or lost a game. Ryan was once hailed a savior, so it would be wise to harness your enthusiasm with Beane.

Will they get the Bills turned around? I have no idea. Nobody knows for sure if Beane can find the right players or whether McDermott can make the best use of them. But oppressed Bills fans can take comfort knowing that they trust one another. And that's also a shift from previous front offices.
              It's enough for me, for right now, to like the fact that Beane & McDermott seem to truly be on the same page. Now go out and make something of it.

Comment

• poplarbluffman
                • Apr 2017

good is good...time rarely helps mediocrity

praising someone before he does anything is a quick path to disappointment later

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

Wasn't he only 35 at the time and working in pro personnel ?

Aw screw it...why wait ? He sucks and the rebuild continues. Don't trust anyone under 55.

Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• X-Era
                    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                    He was temporary there but he's our guy now, see the logic and reasoning ?
                    Any current GM that's worth a damn wouldn't be given permission to interview for a lateral move.

Any ex-GM out there was fired from the team

So then the best option for a potentially great GM comes from where?... a guy ready to step into a GM roll

Comment

• X-Era
                      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                      Wasn't he only 35 at the time and working in pro personnel ?

Aw screw it...why wait ? He sucks and the rebuild continues. Don't trust anyone under 55.

Bull****. There are solid 54 year older's out there.

Comment

• Novacane
                        • Jul 2002

I feel like the Bills finally at least have competent cohesive leadership at the GM and HC spots. I'm still skeptical as to what the results will be. If these two can't turn it around Bills fans are just going to have to accept that either we are cursed or God just hates Buffalo!

Comment

• Klaista2k
                          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Luisito23 View Post
                          Read what Mace said again and you'll answer your own question (hopefully)
                          So they just thought he was too young?

I guess that's possible.

Comment

• Swiper
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Klaista2k View Post
                            So they just thought he was too young?

I guess that's possible.
                            Too inexperienced at the time of the hire, perhaps.

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
                              • Nov 2007

I'm just happy we have a head coach and gm on the same page for once. I for one think Whaley was given a raw deal in the sense that he never got his guy at head coach. Oh well.
                              I came.
                              I saw.
                              I conquered.

Comment

Working...
                              X