PDA

View Full Version : If Beane is a good why Did Carolina bring in new GM?

Klaista2k
05-12-2017, 11:22 PM
Brandon Beane was promoted to GM of the Carolina Panthers in 2012.

Then the Panthers decided to hire a new GM from outside the organization,and demoted Beane back to an assistant.

If he was really a hot up and coming General Manager with a good football mind why would Carolina demote him?

Makes me a little skeptical.

Mace
05-12-2017, 11:50 PM
Brandon Beane was promoted to GM of the Carolina Panthers in 2012.

Then the Panthers decided to hire a new GM from outside the organization,and demoted Beane back to an assistant.

If he was really a hot up and coming General Manager with a good football mind why would Carolina demote him?

Makes me a little skeptical.

He was promoted to interim GM with 4 less years experience. Carolina wanted to hang onto him and he was fine with it because he wasn't ready ?

Klaista2k
05-13-2017, 02:05 AM
He was promoted to interim GM with 4 less years experience. Carolina wanted to hang onto him and he was fine with it because he wasn't ready ?

Yeah but why wouldn't they just keep him as GM?

Not sure why they felt they needed to bring in a new guy from the outside.

Luisito23
05-13-2017, 02:24 AM
Read what Mace said again and you'll answer your own question (hopefully)

Skooby
05-13-2017, 05:00 AM
He was temporary there but he's our guy now, see the logic and reasoning ?

YardRat
05-13-2017, 05:55 AM
Carolina was going to bring somebody in from the outside, and it certainly didn't hurt Gettleman that somebody he was familiar with (Ernie Accorsi, hired to lead the search) and a good friend of the owner (Bill Polian) were both on his side at the time.

Did Beane even interview for the main gig in Carolina at the time?

swiper
05-13-2017, 07:05 AM
For Bucky Gleason, he wrote a strong, optimistic article on Beane yesterday: http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/12/bucky-gleason-bills-gm-beane-makes-strong-first-impression/

He capsuled some of OBD's follies well:

The Bills have tried everything for the past 17 seasons. They had the disciplinarian in Gregg Williams and the former player in Mike Mularkey. They gave the sage old coach, Marv Levy, and the business whiz, and Russ Brandon, turns as GM. They hired the smart, quiet guy in Dick Jauron. And the offensive guy in Chan Gailey. And the loudmouth in Rex Ryan. And the young executive in Doug Whaley.

(Follies could also be referred to as "whatever Russ Brandon could sell to the Bills fans as a fix")

It's going to be hard to shake off 17 years of the mess that was, but I'm willing to keep an open mind (one more time). Something in me sees a young Bill Polian when looking at Beane. It's an opinion based on nothing. As Gleason wrote:

I'm always leery about giving someone too much credit on the first day. In fact, the only thing we know about Beane is that he's not Whaley. He and McDermott haven't blown a first-round draft pick or lost a game. Ryan was once hailed a savior, so it would be wise to harness your enthusiasm with Beane.

Will they get the Bills turned around? I have no idea. Nobody knows for sure if Beane can find the right players or whether McDermott can make the best use of them. But oppressed Bills fans can take comfort knowing that they trust one another. And that's also a shift from previous front offices.

It's enough for me, for right now, to like the fact that Beane & McDermott seem to truly be on the same page. Now go out and make something of it.

poplarbluffman
05-13-2017, 07:24 AM
good is good...time rarely helps mediocrity

praising someone before he does anything is a quick path to disappointment later

Night Train
05-13-2017, 08:18 AM
Wasn't he only 35 at the time and working in pro personnel ?

Aw screw it...why wait ? He sucks and the rebuild continues. Don't trust anyone under 55.

:trance:

X-Era
05-13-2017, 08:48 AM
He was temporary there but he's our guy now, see the logic and reasoning ?
Any current GM that's worth a damn wouldn't be given permission to interview for a lateral move.

Any ex-GM out there was fired from the team

So then the best option for a potentially great GM comes from where?... a guy ready to step into a GM roll

X-Era
05-13-2017, 08:49 AM
Wasn't he only 35 at the time and working in pro personnel ?

Aw screw it...why wait ? He sucks and the rebuild continues. Don't trust anyone under 55.

:trance:
Bull****. There are solid 54 year older's out there.

Novacane
05-13-2017, 09:15 AM
I feel like the Bills finally at least have competent cohesive leadership at the GM and HC spots. I'm still skeptical as to what the results will be. If these two can't turn it around Bills fans are just going to have to accept that either we are cursed or God just hates Buffalo!

Klaista2k
05-13-2017, 11:54 AM
Read what Mace said again and you'll answer your own question (hopefully)

So they just thought he was too young?

I guess that's possible.

swiper
05-13-2017, 12:31 PM
So they just thought he was too young?

I guess that's possible.

Too inexperienced at the time of the hire, perhaps.

kscdogbillsfan1221
05-13-2017, 04:31 PM
I'm just happy we have a head coach and gm on the same page for once. I for one think Whaley was given a raw deal in the sense that he never got his guy at head coach. Oh well.

Night Train
05-13-2017, 06:06 PM
Whaley was given a raw deal

Wow

swiper
05-13-2017, 06:14 PM
It will be interesting to see where her goes next.

Mace
05-13-2017, 07:25 PM
I feel like the Bills finally at least have competent cohesive leadership at the GM and HC spots. I'm still skeptical as to what the results will be. If these two can't turn it around Bills fans are just going to have to accept that either we are cursed or God just hates Buffalo!

Have to agree. They're young but experienced, have had time to plan for this step, know each other well, have no doubt spoken of their philosophies and are in tune. Both seem focused and dedicated to their goals. Competent and cohesive, solid.

Past history considered, you have to be wary nonetheless with this team. Maybe it still won't work, but at least they paired them right and imho, chose well with a purposeful direction for once.

Albany,n.y.
05-13-2017, 07:25 PM
I'm just happy we have a head coach and gm on the same page for once. I for one think Whaley was given a raw deal in the sense that he never got his guy at head coach. Oh well.

Whaley was one of the key guys who chose Marrone. Their relationship soured when Marrone realized EJ was a bust & Whaley refused to admit it. Rex obviously was not his choice & by the time McDermott was hired, Whaley was already dead GM walking.

Mace
05-13-2017, 07:39 PM

I can't feel sorry for him, he had time to implement a plan but didn't have one, he wasn't purposefully trying to build anything particular. His defining trait was too many FA temps at vet minimum.

It's hard for me to believe he had a "his guy" in mind, because he appeared to not have any noticeable philosophy of what "his" meant anyway besides "coach the players I give you when they can even stay on the field, or win a roster spot".

Imho, he's a good pro personnel guy who belongs under a GM with a plan who can direct him.

Skooby
05-13-2017, 08:14 PM
Any current GM that's worth a damn wouldn't be given permission to interview for a lateral move.

Any ex-GM out there was fired from the team

So then the best option for a potentially great GM comes from where?... a guy ready to step into a GM roll
Best options are limited so you maybe right.

psubills62
05-13-2017, 10:36 PM
Because 2017 is five years after 2012. Anyone considered "up-and-coming" in 2017 was...not considered such in 2012.

SpikedLemonade
05-14-2017, 08:14 AM
I wonder why Kim chose Beane?

Night Train
05-14-2017, 08:21 AM

I'm sure your Asian blow up doll could answer that.

swiper
05-14-2017, 08:48 AM
I sense a video coming up.

Arm of Harm
05-14-2017, 12:22 PM
If you're choosing a GM you basically have two options. You can either hire a guy who's never been a GM before, or you can hire someone who has. If you hire someone who's never been a GM before, it will always be possible to ask, "If he's so good, why didn't someone else promote him to GM status before we did?"

Let's say you hire someone who has been a GM before. If he has GM experience and if he's available, odds are his previous employer fired him for incompetence. Sometimes he'll have been fired due to organizational politics, much like Ralph Wilson's decision to fire Bill Polian. Or, you could get a guy who travels from team to team, like Bill Parcells.

Obviously, the best of those options is the guy who was fired due to organizational politics. A Bill Polian. Problem there is, an aging GM isn't necessarily going to be as good as he was in his prime. Bill Polian was a much better GM for the Buffalo Bills, than he was for the Indianapolis Colts. The Colts went 2-14 his final year as GM, and had an aging roster with little young talent.

The point here being that a good GM is hard to find. Hiring a young, up-and-coming guy who's never been a GM before gives you as good a shot as anything else you might reasonably do, to get that good GM.

feldspar
05-14-2017, 12:46 PM

It's because you suck.

SpikedLemonade
05-14-2017, 02:30 PM
I'm sure your Asian blow up doll could answer that.

Sure she would but you borrowed it 6 months ago and have not returned it.

I still think the proper thing was for me to clean it before your requested "her" but you wanted it otherwise.

SpikedLemonade
05-14-2017, 02:33 PM
I sense a video coming up.

Your theme song at your request....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgpZ0fUixs

SpikedLemonade
05-14-2017, 02:35 PM
It's because you suck.

Thank you.

GOD bless your worthless, useless and idiotic soul....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iBAzENX1e4

Jan Reimers
05-15-2017, 04:52 AM
Is the glass half empty or half full?

poplarbluffman
05-15-2017, 05:41 AM
Is the glass half empty or half full?

yeah pretty much will say I'm from Missouri and that Beane spent 19 years with the same team doesn't sound like he was an "up and coming" much of anything...word gets around and other teams are always raiding each others execs looking for young talent..also teams weren't fighting each other to hire him as their GM. Lets just say Show me...and leave it at that

Arm of Harm
05-15-2017, 08:14 AM
yeah pretty much will say I'm from Missouri and that Beane spent 19 years with the same team doesn't sound like he was an "up and coming" much of anything...word gets around and other teams are always raiding each others execs looking for young talent..also teams weren't fighting each other to hire him as their GM. Lets just say Show me...and leave it at that

Beane was given a steady string of promotions (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/5/12/15625600/brandon-beane-buffalo-bills-gm-panthers-experience-football-operations-assistant-gm), proving he was highly thought-of by the Panthers. They are in a better position to know about him than anyone else. Most other teams would not have much direct experience with him, and would therefore have to rely on the interview. Rex Ryan did a dynamite job in the interview. Gregg Williams knocked the ball out of the park in the interview. Plenty of people are much better in the interview than they are on the job; a fact Jack Welch learned the hard way fairly early in his career. (Jack Welch was GE's CEO for a number of years.)

I'm not promising you that Beane will do a good job. Like you said, show me. But the fact he spent his whole career with a single well-run team is a good thing, at least as far as I'm concerned.

sukie
05-15-2017, 09:02 AM
1978, Beane wet the bed and cried. I can't believe we hired him!!! 6-10

The King
05-15-2017, 12:49 PM
Doug Whaley had a lot more to do with Rex Ryan than this team leads on.

TigerJ
05-16-2017, 10:41 AM
I'm pretty happy with what we're learning about Beane. From my perspective, five years of experience and maturity are an adequate explanation of why he is more qualified today than when Bean had his interim GM gig at Carolina. It also gives him another perspective, in that he could observe how Gettleman operated as a GM. His experience is about as extensive and well rounded as you're going to find in someone who has not been a GM. If you hire a former GM, you're also getting someone who was fired as a GM.