PDA

View Full Version : Sabres have the #8 pick in the first round. Who do you pick?

ckg927
05-17-2017, 05:28 PM
Consider that, per the Hockey News' Draft Preview issue, the Sabres' more immediate needs are wingers who play a full game(not just a gritty game or an offensive one). And they have a porous D. The defense factors into long-term needs too, as Brendan Guhle is the only top-flight prospect.

So, let's put forth some possibilities:

-Cale Makar: He's small(at 5' 10")but doesn't play like it; Cale has a bit of a mean streak in him. Great skater and passer. (IMO, he'll likely be off the board by the time Buffalo selects. And he's committed to U Mass.)

-Miro Heiskanen: Smooth 2-way defender who can play under duress. Not physical, but doesn't shy away from the tough areas. (If drafted, you might have to wait a while; he'll likely continue developing with the Finnish team HIFK.)

-Timothy Liljegren: Great offensively. A mess defensively. His stock has bounced all over the place, and playing on a poor Rogle squad in Sweden doesn't help.

If I had to choose, right now I'd go with Heiskanen.

Your thoughts?

JATMtheJATM
05-18-2017, 12:03 AM
Consider that, per the Hockey News' Draft Preview issue, the Sabres' more immediate needs are wingers who play a full game(not just a gritty game or an offensive one). And they have a porous D. The defense factors into long-term needs too, as Brendan Guhle is the only top-flight prospect.

So, let's put forth some possibilities:

-Cale Makar: He's small(at 5' 10")but doesn't play like it; Cale has a bit of a mean streak in him. Great skater and passer. (IMO, he'll likely be off the board by the time Buffalo selects. And he's committed to U Mass.)

-Miro Heiskanen: Smooth 2-way defender who can play under duress. Not physical, but doesn't shy away from the tough areas. (If drafted, you might have to wait a while; he'll likely continue developing with the Finnish team HIFK.)

-Timothy Liljegren: Great offensively. A mess defensively. His stock has bounced all over the place, and playing on a poor Rogle squad in Sweden doesn't help.

If I had to choose, right now I'd go with Heiskanen.

Your thoughts?

Liljegren or heiskanen. Plus, both are AHL eligible next year. Let one develop in the farm which is a bonus. Cause Rochester needs help too

Skooby
05-18-2017, 04:46 AM
Liljegren or heiskanen. Plus, both are AHL eligible next year. Let one develop in the farm which is a bonus. Cause Rochester needs help too

I lean toward Heiskanen because it looks like a beer name I can pronounce when drunk (when am I not?).

Dr. Lecter
05-18-2017, 07:44 AM
In theory it would be much better to trade the pick for a top 4 dman so they are up to 3 on the roster and let Guhle and Antipin work their way into the line up next year.

The Jokeman
05-19-2017, 07:23 PM
In terms of the draft, I'd love a talent like Timothy Liljegren fall to us. I'd also see if can package our 2nds it Las Vegas for an established Dman in his early 30s that can help the penalty kill and be a top 4/5 and try and sign Brendan Smith or Alzner as an UFA.

YardRat
05-19-2017, 07:39 PM
I think they should trade down, get an extra first for next year, and snag the defensive kid from LSU.

ckg927
05-20-2017, 04:16 PM
In terms of the draft, I'd love a talent like Timothy Liljegren fall to us. I'd also see if can package our 2nds it Las Vegas for an established Dman in his early 30s that can help the penalty kill and be a top 4/5 and try and sign Brendan Smith or Alzner as an UFA.

I'm not sold on Liljegren. For starters, we have an offensive D-man in Risto; why do you need another? I'd rather Buffalo go for Heiskanen, as he seems to be the total package when it comes to defense.

The Jokeman
05-20-2017, 05:10 PM
I'm not sold on Liljegren. For starters, we have an offensive D-man in Risto; why do you need another? I'd rather Buffalo go for Heiskanen, as he seems to be the total package when it comes to defense.

Because I remember many time last season we had four forwards and one Dman on the PP. In terms of pick #8 I guess I just want the best Dman on the board and hopefully it's one of the top three in the draft.

coastal
05-20-2017, 08:19 PM
None of u douchebags have a clue of what you're talking about.

Night Train
05-21-2017, 09:30 AM
Whatever. Most of these guys go back to Juniors/College and don't show up again for 2-3 years.

Dr. Lecter
05-21-2017, 10:41 AM
None of u douchebags have a clue of what you're talking about.

Well, then enlighten us instead of blustering

YardRat
05-21-2017, 01:26 PM
Well, then enlighten us instead of blustering

You know as well as I do that you're not going to get anything even remotely resembling intelligence out of anybody from Florida. Quit being mean.

Skooby
05-22-2017, 04:00 AM
You know as well as I do that you're not going to get anything even remotely resembling intelligence out of anybody from Florida. Quit being mean.

You might get something you can't understand from folks from FL as well.