PDA

View Full Version : Prediction: Nathan Peterman will be starting this year...

HHURRICANE
05-19-2017, 02:54 AM
The Bills seem to have gone out of their way to distance themselves from Tyrod. I also believe that our new OC isn't that impressed with Tyrod in his new scheme.

Peterman is a coach's player. He'll do what you ask of him. I think Tyrod is on a short leash and the coaching staff isn't under any threat to "win now" based on the front office clean out.

I think you'll see Peterman on the field this year.

Skooby
05-19-2017, 03:05 AM
The Bills seem to have gone out of their way to distance themselves from Tyrod. I also believe that our new OC isn't that impressed with Tyrod in his new scheme.

Peterman is a coach's player. He'll do what you ask of him. I think Tyrod is on a short leash and the coaching staff isn't under any threat to "win now" based on the front office clean out.

I hope so, watching TT fail at the goal line is frustrating.

Night Train
05-19-2017, 05:42 AM
It's all up to..

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/e13c326b19cb29b1cf6ceca2da1b94b4e589ea6f/c=247-0-3719-2604&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2015/07/23/Rochester/B9317993548Z.1_20150723175721_000_GSCBDA8RO.1-0.jpg

Turf
05-19-2017, 05:44 AM
I don't see any clear cut indication where this story by ESPN has any merit.

YardRat
05-19-2017, 05:44 AM
How have they 'gone out of their way to distance themselves' from Tyrod?

Topas
05-19-2017, 07:49 AM
And why are they in win now mode? That makes no sense. If anything, they are in lose-now mode.

Joe Fo Sho
05-19-2017, 08:25 AM
How have they 'gone out of their way to distance themselves' from Tyrod?

By giving him 3 contracts since he came here 2 years ago.

cookie G
05-19-2017, 08:36 AM

The Bills were 7th in the NFL last year in Red Zone efficiency.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct?date=2017-02-06

Outside of one year with Fitz in 2011, they ranked in the 20's or lower for the past 15 years.

TT had the 7th highest passer rating in the Red zone last year.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/quarterback-rating-in-red-zone/2016/

Again..outside of Fitz one year, they haven't had a QB close to that.

Be careful what you wish for.

PrimeTime
05-19-2017, 08:58 AM
you really have no clue do you...

jamze132
05-19-2017, 09:10 AM
The new coaching staff would be foolish to not build the offense around Tyrod's and Shady's strengths. Our offense has been good enough the last two years to make the playoffs but then our top 5 defense got Rex'd.

Joe Fo Sho
05-19-2017, 09:35 AM

Outside of one year with Fitz in 2011, they ranked in the 20's or lower for the past 15 years.

Eh, passer rating isn't necessarily the best indicator. I prefer to know the actual individual passing statistics.

Redzone attempts - 25th (we obviously didn't throw very often, and when we tried Tyrod probably took off running or got sacked like the final drive of the Seattle game)
Redzone completion percentage (at least 5 attempts) - 21st
Passing TDs - 24th

From inside the 10 yard line, he ranked 31st in completion percentage of QBs with at least 5 attempts. 31st...that's pretty bad.

Where he excelled is that he took care of the ball. He had 0 interceptions in the redzone last year, which is great and it's why is passer rating was ranked so high.

I'm not a Tyrod fan, but I won't fault his redzone play very much. I wouldn't say he's top 10, though.

kingJofNYC
05-19-2017, 09:39 AM
Prediction, Peterman is the next Trent Edwards.

Night Train
05-19-2017, 09:42 AM
hmm....Red zone efficiency you say ?

Peterman and Pitt led the nation.

https://pittsburgh.rivals.com/news/pitt-s-red-zone-offense-was-the-best-in-the-nation

Silly facts...always ruin a good agenda..

Skooby
05-19-2017, 10:09 AM
I wrote from the goal line, not the red zone. Tyrod is worthless when's it goal to goal. That's where we lost against Seattle and fail to perform, it's where you make many of your points and win as well. See statement below to help you follow it:

From inside the 10 yard line, Tyrod ranked 31st in completion percentage of QBs with at least 5 attempts.

Skooby
05-19-2017, 10:22 AM
hmm....Red zone efficiency you say ?

Peterman and Pitt led the nation.

https://pittsburgh.rivals.com/news/pitt-s-red-zone-offense-was-the-best-in-the-nation

Silly facts...always ruin a good agenda..
Peterman has the touch to be great there, he's deadly accurate on quick short throws. Polar opposite of Tyrod.
Heiden video below:
https://youtu.be/PU0nkoPb2Fk

Bill Cody
05-19-2017, 10:29 AM
Peterman does not see the field this year barring injury of TT. The #1 job is not open this year. The #2 job is. And it's in Peterman's interest not to play. The job of NFL QB is really hard. Peterman is not physically gifted so he's going to need to learn the pro game, develop in practice, get stronger and maybe next year he gets a shot and he'll need to ready, he won't be ready this year. Mac is like every single coach in the league, he wants to win games. I'm no Taylor fan but TT gives him the best chance to do that this year so he will most definitely play. Feel free to bookmark this thread.

Forward_Lateral
05-19-2017, 10:33 AM
Prediction, Peterman is the next Trent Edwards.

As long as he's the pre-concussion Trent

Skooby
05-19-2017, 11:00 AM
As long as he's the pre-concussion Trent
The Trent just before that Miami game in Miami, I was there on the field talking to everyone and thought we might be the s**t. Hopes were high that day, I even got congratulations in the parking lot for the Bills from Miami fans before the game. We stunk it up that day and every minute after that with Trent.

THATHURMANATOR
05-19-2017, 11:51 AM
I hope not

If he is that means we suck yet again.....

swiper
05-19-2017, 12:14 PM

You seem to know an awful lot about these two QBs.

But it's funny how our new OC has coached Taylor before. And Peterman was terrible in the Senior Bowl. He's not good. And where you get that he's more of a "coaches QB" is pure bull*****. Stop having QB wet dreams then posting about them.

- - - Updated - - -

Furthermore, Yates is a better QB than Peterman. So there's that fact. That shows the Bills have gone out of there way NOT to have Peterman in there. I'm sure you loved Edwards and Losman too.

The Toe Show
05-19-2017, 12:31 PM

This new culture wave is going to wash all the Whaley players away.
So I think it's possible, especially after watching some rookie interviews. The new draft picks have very optimistic personalities, it's a totally different vibration compared to Reggie Ragland - great player, cool guy, not obnoxiously positive in the McDermott mold.

New Wave
http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Nate_Peterman_Im_Trying_to_Help_the_Team/40aaf524-0768-4d6b-b9cf-5de938893fe5
http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Zay_Jones_Excited_to_Play_for_this_Organization/77e3afcc-5a80-42f6-bbc3-3a55e8f00faf
http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/TreDavious_White_Focus_on_Football/d1060524-317b-43cb-8d2a-8c30fea63aaf

vs.

Old Wave
http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Reggie_Ragland_Were_Gonna_Take_it_Day_by_Day/81c0f59e-f139-46f3-b4d1-10a8012610ad
http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Tyrod_Taylor_I_Can_Take_it_to_the_Next_Level/c8ee540c-2bf8-41b7-96a1-0ab5842d3d91

I'm still rooting for TT to go to the next level. I'd rather have TT max out his potential and ride that wave for 3 years. He's fun to watch and a really cool dude, but you gotta dance the McDermott-way, and I don't think that's for everyone.

justasportsfan
05-19-2017, 12:56 PM
you really have no clue do you...he has his sources

Skooby
05-19-2017, 01:09 PM
he has his sources
Funny how I point out TT goal line shi**yness and heroes randomly chime in to defend other crap, he's 31st in an area that wins a lot of games (1st down and goal to go).

Do you guys want to win or be right ?

sukie
05-19-2017, 01:53 PM
Funny how I point out TT goal line shi**yness and heroes randomly chime in to defend other crap, he's 31st in an area that wins a lot of games (1st down and goal to go).

Do you guys want to win or be right ?
I want a measuring tape reading on the distance between the front office and Tyrod. Is the distance greater than the height of the mural at the airport?

bdutton
05-19-2017, 02:37 PM
Eh, passer rating isn't necessarily the best indicator. I prefer to know the actual individual passing statistics.

Redzone attempts - 25th (we obviously didn't throw very often, and when we tried Tyrod probably took off running or got sacked like the final drive of the Seattle game)
Redzone completion percentage (at least 5 attempts) - 21st
Passing TDs - 24th

From inside the 10 yard line, he ranked 31st in completion percentage of QBs with at least 5 attempts. 31st...that's pretty bad.

Where he excelled is that he took care of the ball. He had 0 interceptions in the redzone last year, which is great and it's why is passer rating was ranked so high.

I'm not a Tyrod fan, but I won't fault his redzone play very much. I wouldn't say he's top 10, though.

We had a decent offense last year. The reason we lost games was because the defense couldn't stop ****. We went from a top 5 defense to a bottom 5 defense in 2 years under Ryan.

Joe Fo Sho
05-19-2017, 02:54 PM
We had a decent offense last year. The reason we lost games was because the defense couldn't stop ****. We went from a top 5 defense to a bottom 5 defense in 2 years under Ryan.

We had a decent offense last year for sure, but only because our running game was #1 in the NFL.

The defense was certainly the reason we lost some games. I blame the offense for the Ravens, Seahawks, and Steelers.

What about the games that the defense/running game won it for us because Tyrod's passing game was garbage? Tyrod threw for 119 yards in the win against Arizona, 124 yards in the win against the Rams, 179 yards against the Niners, 166 yards against the Bengals, 166 yards against the Jaguars, and 174 yards against the all mighty Browns.

Where was Tyrod when we needed him? 111 yards against the Ravens, 183 yards against NE (2nd game), 191 yards against the Raiders, and the 46 yards (30 net) he had in the 1st half against the Steelers?

cookie G
05-19-2017, 04:40 PM
I wrote from the goal line, not the red zone. Tyrod is worthless when's it goal to goal. That's where we lost against Seattle and fail to perform, it's where you make many of your points and win as well. See statement below to help you follow it:

From inside the 10 yard line, Tyrod ranked 31st in completion percentage of QBs with at least 5 attempts.

mmmhmm

he was 9-22 inside the 10. For a completion percentage of 40%

Russell Wilson, Derek Carr and Kirk Cousins all had worse completion percentages in that range.

In fact, about half of the QB's with a higher completion percentage didn't exceed a 50% completion rate, incuding Ben R, Manning, Dalton and Flacco.

the 13 incompletions came on 8 drives. Of those drives, 2 ended up resulting in TD's (one passing, one on a Reggie Bush run). There were at least 2 end zone drops, one by Bush and one by Clay.

5 Fgs
1 no score

of his 9 completions, 7 were TDs. In one, Powell was stopped at the goal line.

He also ran for 3 TD's inside the 10.

I count 19 opportunities inside the10 where he passed (complete or incomplete) or ran for a TD

11 TDs
7 fgs
1 no points

TD % 58
Scoring % 95

Again... going back to 2003, The Bills redzone TD % exceeded 50% twice..in some years, it was in the 30's.

Against Seattle, he was sacked 3 times inside the 10, twice by cliff Avril. Avril was pretty much running free the entire 2nd half.

TigerJ
05-19-2017, 05:26 PM
What I see from the Bills toward Tyrod is a lack of commitment. I don't interpret that as a decision to move on necessarily. I just think they don't want to paint themselves into a corner because it would make them look like idiots if they're wrong. I think they are starting out with Tyrod as the presumptive starter, but if he performs poorly in games at any point during the season, I don't think they would wait too long to give the old heave ho.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
05-19-2017, 05:38 PM
All qbs from here on out should have first names that are car parts. I'll go with Shiftknob Peterman. Carburetor Jones hasn't a chance to be anything close to Trunklid Kelly or dare I say Bumperjack Kemp. He could be a Crankshaft Reich in a pinch. But I think investing time and energy into prospects like Shiftknob is the right thing for now. We don't want another Owners Manuel or Brakefluid Reservoir Losman. Keep the Shiftknob in neutral for a while until his engine warms up. Go with Tierod until he is worn and needing replacement.

cookie G
05-19-2017, 05:53 PM
All qbs from here on out should have first names that are car parts. I'll go with Shiftknob Peterman. Carburetor Jones hasn't a chance to be anything close to Trunklid Kelly or dare I say Bumperjack Kemp. He could be a Crankshaft Reich in a pinch. But I think investing time and energy into prospects like Shiftknob is the right thing for now. We don't want another Owners Manuel or Brakefluid Reservoir Losman. Keep the Shiftknob in neutral for a while until his engine warms up. Go with Tierod until he is worn and needing replacement.

Hemi Williams, Mopar St.!!!

Night Train
05-19-2017, 07:31 PM
As of today, he's the only draft pick that hasn't signed.

I bet Russ Brandon is behind this. :madmad:

BertSquirtgum
05-19-2017, 10:48 PM

I have a clue that Tyrod sucks.

BertSquirtgum
05-19-2017, 10:51 PM
Do some of you people really have such short term memories of Tyrod sucking balls last year?

Skooby
05-19-2017, 11:30 PM
This dude speaks in rare language, I simply love it. Remember why he won the traumatize each other game, he was on fire.

Skooby
05-19-2017, 11:32 PM
Do some of you people really have such short term memories of Tyrod sucking balls last year?

I ummmm agree, there I said it. Even this halfwit can figure out the obvious, will all of you folks wake up.

BertSquirtgum
05-20-2017, 01:37 AM
I ummmm agree, there I said it. Even this halfwit can figure out the obvious, will all of you folks wake up.

I think you mean smarter than your average bear

Skooby
05-20-2017, 02:31 AM
I think you mean smarter than your average bear

Alright, we will go with that Yogi.

Night Train
05-20-2017, 07:52 AM
Peterman does not see the field this year barring injury of TT. The #1 job is not open this year. The #2 job is. And it's in Peterman's interest not to play. The job of NFL QB is really hard. Peterman is not physically gifted so he's going to need to learn the pro game, develop in practice, get stronger and maybe next year he gets a shot and he'll need to ready, he won't be ready this year. Mac is like every single coach in the league, he wants to win games. I'm no Taylor fan but TT gives him the best chance to do that this year so he will most definitely play. Feel free to bookmark this thread.

I'm not pushing his cause. Taylor will start but he's like 6 feet and just over 200. I could care less what they list him at. I've stood in front of him and at 6-4, I just tower over him. Peterman is probably an inch,inch and a half shorter than me and 20-30 lbs. heavier than Taylor, with room to add a little more.

Joe Montana was 6 feet and 195. Met him at a card show and couldn't believe how small he was. He did OK.

swiper
05-20-2017, 01:28 PM
Anything can happen, but I think a lot of you continue to look passed Yates and right to Peterman. If Yates is healthy, he could be a fairly viable option if Taylor falters.

OpIv37
05-20-2017, 01:49 PM

So, you're saying they want to be 2-14 instead of 5-11?

Skooby
05-20-2017, 10:33 PM
So, you're saying they want to be 2-14 instead of 5-11?
Think of the 1st round CB opportunities that we can reap next draft, my powder is wet.

Goobylal
05-21-2017, 06:43 AM
Think of the 1st round CB opportunities that we can reap next draft, my powder is wet.

Please. The quarterback prospects for next year are supposed to be a lot better than the ones this year. Hence the reason they passed on every quarterback (I'd be curious to know if they would've taken Trubisky if he were available at the 10th overall spot).

If TT doesn't play better and Peterman (who will start if/when the Bills are out of playoff contention) doesn't look like he has it, they will draft a quarterback very early next year. Maybe even trade up for him if they can.

Goobylal
05-21-2017, 06:45 AM
Anything can happen, but I think a lot of you continue to look passed Yates and right to Peterman. If Yates is healthy, he could be a fairly viable option if Taylor falters.

Yates is a scrub who has been in the league for six years and shown little. There's no reason to play him (assuming even makes the team) over Peterman.

swiper
05-21-2017, 07:23 AM
Yates is a scrub who has been in the league for six years and shown little. There's no reason to play him (assuming even makes the team) over Peterman.

If that were the case (which it isn't), then why keep Yates on the roster? They should be giving his reps to Peterman.

They picked up Yates over Fitzpatrick. We all know that Fitzpatrick is the quintessential back-up. They took Yates over him, then he went on to take a #2 role elsewhere.

Goobylal
05-21-2017, 07:32 AM
If that were the case (which it isn't), then why keep Yates on the roster? They should be giving his reps to Peterman.

They picked up Yates over Fitzpatrick. We all know that Fitzpatrick is the quintessential back-up. They took Yates over him, then he went on to take a #2 role elsewhere.

Fitz would never return to the Bills. As for Yates, he's making the league minimum and cutting him would cost just $40K, so he's a no-risk pickup. You keep him if Cardale looks like he's got no future in the NFL (and I believe he's still eligible for the PS) and as the primary backup while the team is still in contention. But he's not the QB of the future, which is why you play Peterman if/when the team is out of contention.

swiper
05-21-2017, 08:42 AM
I thought the new OC or someone had familiarity with Yates previously.

And Fitz would love to get a call from the Bills.

Night Train
05-21-2017, 09:10 AM
Yates is a scrub who has been in the league for six years and shown little. There's no reason to play him .

You just described the backup situation of most every NFL team.

Goobylal
05-21-2017, 09:25 AM
You just described the backup situation of most every NFL team.

I agree. But we're talking about looking for the QB of the future.

Again if the Bills keep Yates and are in contention, he'd play if TT got hurt. If/when they're out of the playoff race, I see them starting Peterman. Unless Peterman looks better than Yates in training camp and pre-season.

Albany,n.y.
05-21-2017, 09:52 AM
Fitz would never return to the Bills. As for Yates, he's making the league minimum and cutting him would cost just $40K, so he's a no-risk pickup. You keep him if Cardale looks like he's got no future in the NFL (and I believe he's still eligible for the PS) and as the primary backup while the team is still in contention. But he's not the QB of the future, which is why you play Peterman if/when the team is out of contention.

Other than the fact that the Bills didn't want him for $3 million, the statement that Fitz would never return is nonsense. None of the people responsible for letting Fitz go are still around (unless you count Brandon). Nix, Whaley, Marrone, Ralph Wilson-all gone.

Goobylal
05-21-2017, 10:20 AM
Other than the fact that the Bills didn't want him for $3 million, the statement that Fitz would never return is nonsense. None of the people responsible for letting Fitz go are still around (unless you count Brandon). Nix, Whaley, Marrone, Ralph Wilson-all gone.

Why would he want to return? He's got another offer to play and it's in FLA where there is no state tax to boot. And yes I count Brandon, who may have had a lot more power during that time period (i.e. when Ralph was dying).

swiper
05-21-2017, 03:37 PM

Not to mention that Fitz loved Buffalo. To say he wouldn't consider returning is wrong.

Goobylal
05-21-2017, 05:05 PM
Not to mention that Fitz loved Buffalo. To say he wouldn't consider returning is wrong.

Has Fitz said that he'd return to Buffalo? If not, who is to say who is wrong? Sometimes people just want to move forward and usually that is for the best.

Night Train
05-21-2017, 05:13 PM
Has Fitz said that he'd return to Buffalo? If not, who is to say who is wrong? Sometimes people just want to move forward and usually that is for the best.

He already signed with Tampa Bay.

swiper
05-21-2017, 07:00 PM

He always said he loved Buffalo when he was here. I don't know that anyone asked him if he would return here. I don't know that it ever came up. But to say he would never return here is wrong. Even though he has already found a destination for 2017.

Luisito23
05-21-2017, 08:33 PM
He would've gone anywhere that paid him...

I'm glad it's not here though.

BertSquirtgum
05-21-2017, 08:35 PM
You are a blundering ****ing idiot.

swiper
05-22-2017, 05:08 AM
You are a blundering ****ing idiot.

And in the category "it takes one to know one" falls the idiot known as Bert.

You don't like facts? That is your problem.

DraftBoy
05-22-2017, 07:58 AM
Please. The quarterback prospects for next year are supposed to be a lot better than the ones this year.

Careful. A lot of those hype comments are based on a number of players who would need to declare.

Rosen, Allen, and Darnold are all 2019 and 2020 class guys who would need to leave school early.

Really there is at the most 1 current first round graded QB in next year's class and that is Mason Rudolph. After that it's a number of guys with good potential but other limitations.

I started a thread on it here:
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/237797-2018-QB-Class?p=4332879#post4332879

Goobylal
05-22-2017, 04:18 PM
Careful. A lot of those hype comments are based on a number of players who would need to declare.

Rosen, Allen, and Darnold are all 2019 and 2020 class guys who would need to leave school early.

Really there is at the most 1 current first round graded QB in next year's class and that is Mason Rudolph. After that it's a number of guys with good potential but other limitations.

I started a thread on it here:
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/237797-2018-QB-Class?p=4332879#post4332879

If they don't declare, trade one of the 1st rounders for a 1st in 2018. Voila!

DraftBoy
05-22-2017, 04:33 PM
If they don't declare, trade one of the 1st rounders for a 1st in 2018. Voila!

Huh? The next draft is 2018.

Goobylal
05-22-2017, 06:32 PM
Huh? The next draft is 2018.

Doh! I meant 2019.

Arm of Harm
05-23-2017, 08:25 PM

I agree with your implication that our defensive coaching was much better under Schwartz than it was under Ryan. Of that there is no question.

However, we do not now have the same talent on defense we had with Schwartz. Mario Williams, for example, was a star player for the Bills defense, both before and during Schwartz's time here. This past season Mario Williams (http://www.nfl.com/player/mariowilliams/2495982/profile) had 9 tackles and 1.5 sacks for the Miami Dolphins. Mario Williams is done. Nothing left in the tank.

The Bills tried to build a top-5 defense without having drafted particularly well on the defensive side of the ball. For a while it worked. Superstar free agents like Mario Williams, and free agents on one-and-done contracts, came in and contributed at a high level. But that talent infusion on defense proved transitory. Of the free agents we acquired to build the Pettine or Schwartz defenses, most are either done (like Mario Williams) or else are no longer with the team. Free agent signings helped conceal the fact that the Bills weren't adding much defensive talent via the draft. But now that the Pettine/Schwartz free agents are mostly gone, our main building blocks for our current defense are what our past GMs have acquired through the draft. Those past GMs didn't acquire much defensive talent on draft day, at least not recently enough to do us much good today.

endzone
05-23-2017, 10:35 PM

I THINK you're jumping the gun!

stuckincincy
05-24-2017, 01:33 AM
Hanging one's hat on a 5th round QB falls in line with the last 17 years of QB and playoff frustration. :sad:

Skooby
05-24-2017, 06:15 AM
Hanging one's hat on a 5th round QB falls in line with the last 17 years of QB and playoff frustration. :sad:
Brady was what drafted in what round ? He's about 17 years in the NFL right? See the correlation? I don't.

Arm of Harm
05-24-2017, 07:56 AM
Brady was what drafted in what round ? He's about 17 years in the NFL right? See the correlation? I don't.

For every Tom Brady story, there are at least a couple dozen Levi Brown stories. I'm not saying Peterman can't succeed, and I'll admit that he seems to have more to offer than I'd typically expect from a 5th round QB. But the odds are stacked against him.

My sense is that the long-term plan at QB is to use a first round pick in 2018 on a QB, trading up if necessary. That first round pick would become the starter, and Peterman would be the long-term answer at backup.

Goobylal
05-24-2017, 01:37 PM
I agree with your implication that our defensive coaching was much better under Schwartz than it was under Ryan. Of that there is no question.

However, we do not now have the same talent on defense we had with Schwartz. Mario Williams, for example, was a star player for the Bills defense, both before and during Schwartz's time here. This past season Mario Williams (http://www.nfl.com/player/mariowilliams/2495982/profile) had 9 tackles and 1.5 sacks for the Miami Dolphins. Mario Williams is done. Nothing left in the tank.

The Bills tried to build a top-5 defense without having drafted particularly well on the defensive side of the ball. For a while it worked. Superstar free agents like Mario Williams, and free agents on one-and-done contracts, came in and contributed at a high level. But that talent infusion on defense proved transitory. Of the free agents we acquired to build the Pettine or Schwartz defenses, most are either done (like Mario Williams) or else are no longer with the team. Free agent signings helped conceal the fact that the Bills weren't adding much defensive talent via the draft. But now that the Pettine/Schwartz free agents are mostly gone, our main building blocks for our current defense are what our past GMs have acquired through the draft. Those past GMs didn't acquire much defensive talent on draft day, at least not recently enough to do us much good today.

They still have Kyle, Marcel, and Jerry on the DL, and Lawson is a far better fit at 4-3 DE (where he played in college) than 3-4 OLB. IMHO the DL is set, and they have some depth there. At LB they'll probably have Brown back at WLB, where he played (well) under Schwartz, and probably Ragland at MLB and LorAx at SLB. Throw in some competition from some younger guys and maybe a FA pickup.

swiper
05-24-2017, 05:43 PM
Peterman signs with the Bills today.

swiper
05-24-2017, 08:09 PM
http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/bills-sign-qb-nathan-peterman

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-mkRwFXoAEzGy3.jpg

Arm of Harm
05-25-2017, 08:30 AM
They still have Kyle, Marcel, and Jerry on the DL, and Lawson is a far better fit at 4-3 DE (where he played in college) than 3-4 OLB. IMHO the DL is set, and they have some depth there. At LB they'll probably have Brown back at WLB, where he played (well) under Schwartz, and probably Ragland at MLB and LorAx at SLB. Throw in some competition from some younger guys and maybe a FA pickup.

Good points. However, I'd point out that Mario Williams has hit the wall, and is done. Kyle Williams was drafted in 2006: the same year as Mario. How much longer can the Bills realistically expect to get solid contributions from Kyle Williams, before he too hits the wall?

Dareus is working through his own issues. Hopefully he'll be able to put them behind him, and have a strong season this year.

Jerry Hughes had 10 sacks in 2013 and another 10 in 2014. That's solid. But he had only 5 sacks in 2015 and 6 sacks in 2016. Granted, that decline could be because of coaching: because Rex Ryan wasn't using him as effectively as Pettine or Schwartz had. But it could also be a case of a player playing significantly above his usual level for a time, before going back to his norm. I'll be interested to see what he does in McDermott's defense.

Lawson was drafted just a year ago, and was not on the team when we had Pettine or Schwartz as our defensive coordinators. At this point, he's just a guy with 10 appearances and 7 tackles for his entire NFL career. I certainly expect him to be given every opportunity to prove himself this upcoming season. We'll see how he does with that opportunity.

Arm of Harm
05-25-2017, 09:17 AM
To add to my earlier post: I looked up the Bills' projected depth chart (http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/BUF) for 2017. Their projected starters for their defensive secondary are Ronald Darby and Tre'Davious White at CB, Michah Hyde at SS, and Jordan Poyer at FS. None of those players were on the team under Pettine or Schwartz.

Their projected starters at LB are Reggie Ragland, Lorenzo Alexander, and Ramon Humber. None of those players were on the team under Pettine or Schwartz.

Their projected starters at DL are Shaq Lawson, Marcell Dareus, Kyle Williams, and Jerry Hughes. Shaq Lawson wasn't on the team under Pettine or Schwartz. Of the three (out of 11) defensive starters we retained from the Pettine/Schwartz defenses, one (Kyle Williams) might not perform at the same level due to age, and another (Marcell Dareus) might not perform at the same level due to other issues. The third (Hughes) has also seen a step down in his level of play.

The fact Schwartz had a top-5 defense is no longer relevant, because almost none of the players he used to achieve that defense are still with the team.

swiper
05-25-2017, 12:32 PM
The fact Schwartz had a top-5 defense is no longer relevant, because almost none of the players he used to achieve that defense are still with the team.

Which underscores Pegula's failures as Bills owner.

Goobylal
05-25-2017, 12:54 PM
Good points. However, I'd point out that Mario Williams has hit the wall, and is done. Kyle Williams was drafted in 2006: the same year as Mario. How much longer can the Bills realistically expect to get solid contributions from Kyle Williams, before he too hits the wall?

Dareus is working through his own issues. Hopefully he'll be able to put them behind him, and have a strong season this year.

Jerry Hughes had 10 sacks in 2013 and another 10 in 2014. That's solid. But he had only 5 sacks in 2015 and 6 sacks in 2016. Granted, that decline could be because of coaching: because Rex Ryan wasn't using him as effectively as Pettine or Schwartz had. But it could also be a case of a player playing significantly above his usual level for a time, before going back to his norm. I'll be interested to see what he does in McDermott's defense.

Lawson was drafted just a year ago, and was not on the team when we had Pettine or Schwartz as our defensive coordinators. At this point, he's just a guy with 10 appearances and 7 tackles for his entire NFL career. I certainly expect him to be given every opportunity to prove himself this upcoming season. We'll see how he does with that opportunity.

To add to my earlier post: I looked up the Bills' projected depth chart (http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/BUF) for 2017. Their projected starters for their defensive secondary are Ronald Darby and Tre'Davious White at CB, Michah Hyde at SS, and Jordan Poyer at FS. None of those players were on the team under Pettine or Schwartz.

Their projected starters at LB are Reggie Ragland, Lorenzo Alexander, and Ramon Humber. None of those players were on the team under Pettine or Schwartz.

Their projected starters at DL are Shaq Lawson, Marcell Dareus, Kyle Williams, and Jerry Hughes. Shaq Lawson wasn't on the team under Pettine or Schwartz. Of the three (out of 11) defensive starters we retained from the Pettine/Schwartz defenses, one (Kyle Williams) might not perform at the same level due to age, and another (Marcell Dareus) might not perform at the same level due to other issues. The third (Hughes) has also seen a step down in his level of play.

Schwartz is no longer relevant because he's no longer with the team. There are other coaches who can coach defense.

- - - Updated - - -

And the Bills just signed LB Gerald Hodges. He will start.

Arm of Harm
05-25-2017, 03:26 PM

I agree that Pegula's mistakes played an important role in the Bills' defensive decline. Under Doug Marrone, the Bills had inadequate coaching on the offensive side of the ball, and excellent coaching on the defensive side. Once Marrone left, the obvious move would have been to bring in a new head coach from the offensive side of the ball. The kind of guy who would fix the Bills' offensive coaching problems, while leaving Schwartz and his defense intact. Instead, Pegula (with help and advice from Russ Brandon) chose to hire Rex Ryan. Schwartz was shown the door. This was Pegula's main contribution to the problem.

If the departure of Schwartz was Pegula's fault--and it was--then other aspects of the situation were Ralph Wilson's, or the fault of Ralph's employees. A number of key contributors on the Pettine/Schwartz defense were aging, such as Mario Williams and Kyle Williams. That defense was relatively lacking in young talent, and was poised for a decline.

Not only did that defense lose player talent due to the advancing age of some of its players, it also lost talent because of Whaley's mismanagement of the salary cap. If you're looking at the combination of youth + proven accomplishment, one of the top three players on that defense was Gilmore. Gilmore is now a New England Patriot. Pegula inherited Whaley from Ralph, which makes it a little difficult to determine how much of the blame for Whaley's incompetence should be laid at Ralph's feet versus Pegula's.

Luisito23
05-25-2017, 03:46 PM
Need to stop looking in the past...

It's a dark...dark place.

Albany,n.y.
05-25-2017, 04:15 PM
I agree that Pegula's mistakes played an important role in the Bills' defensive decline. Under Doug Marrone, the Bills had inadequate coaching on the offensive side of the ball, and excellent coaching on the defensive side. Once Marrone left, the obvious move would have been to bring in a new head coach from the offensive side of the ball. The kind of guy who would fix the Bills' offensive coaching problems, while leaving Schwartz and his defense intact. Instead, Pegula (with help and advice from Russ Brandon) chose to hire Rex Ryan. Schwartz was shown the door. This was Pegula's main contribution to the problem.

If the departure of Schwartz was Pegula's fault--and it was--then other aspects of the situation were Ralph Wilson's, or the fault of Ralph's employees. A number of key contributors on the Pettine/Schwartz defense were aging, such as Mario Williams and Kyle Williams. That defense was relatively lacking in young talent, and was poised for a decline.

Not only did that defense lose player talent due to the advancing age of some of its players, it also lost talent because of Whaley's mismanagement of the salary cap. If you're looking at the combination of youth + proven accomplishment, one of the top three players on that defense was Gilmore. Gilmore is now a New England Patriot. Pegula inherited Whaley from Ralph, which makes it a little difficult to determine how much of the blame for Whaley's incompetence should be laid at Ralph's feet versus Pegula's.

Get real.

You don't hire a new head coach & leave 1/2 the old coach's staff in place-it just isn't done. The head coach brings in his own guys.

The only way the Bills would have kept Schwartz & his D staff would have been to hire Schwartz as head coach. He was such a stellar HC in Detroit, owners have been falling all over each other trying to get him to sign on as their head coach. So far none have gotten back up off the floor & been able to put the contract in his hands.

Arm of Harm
05-25-2017, 04:53 PM
Get real.

You don't hire a new head coach & leave 1/2 the old coach's staff in place-it just isn't done. The head coach brings in his own guys.

The only way the Bills would have kept Schwartz & his D staff would have been to hire Schwartz as head coach. He was such a stellar HC in Detroit, owners have been falling all over each other trying to get him to sign on as their head coach. So far none have gotten back up off the floor & been able to put the contract in his hands.

You are wrong. It is done. For example, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers signed (traded) for Jon Gruden, an offensively oriented head coach. He left the Bucs' defensive coaching intact, making no change to their defensive coaching staff, scheme, or defensive philosophy.

Tony Dungy was fired from the Bucs because he was a defensively-minded head coach who did a mediocre job with the offense. He was hired by the Indianapolis Colts. While he was the Colts' head coach, he left their offensive coaching staff and offensive scheme intact. The only coaching changes he made were to the defensive side of the ball.

Both Gruden and Dungy led their teams to Super Bowl wins.

If you interview an offensively oriented head coaching prospect, and if he articulates his idea of firing Schwartz and bringing in his own guy, then maybe he's not the right choice for head coach.

BillsImpossible
05-26-2017, 10:02 PM

Stop your Swining.

The Pegulas have not won a Championship for Buffalo yet, but it's not like they aren't spending the money to get there.

They're totally invested in Buffalo. I don't think the people of Buffalo give Terry and Kim Pegula enough credit.

They saved 2 sports franchises from the abyss, and are the lone reason why Buffalo is booming for the first time in 60 years.

Turf
05-26-2017, 10:23 PM
I've criticized the Pegula's, but they've gotten it right this time around with both clubs.

swiper
05-27-2017, 04:57 AM
Stop your Swining.

The Pegulas have not won a Championship for Buffalo yet, but it's not like they aren't spending the money to get there.

They're totally invested in Buffalo. I don't think the people of Buffalo give Terry and Kim Pegula enough credit.

They saved 2 sports franchises from the abyss, and are the lone reason why Buffalo is booming for the first time in 60 years.

You are an idiot. You prove it just about every day on this board.

swiper
05-27-2017, 04:59 AM
I've criticized the Pegula's, but they've gotten it right this time around with both clubs.

LOL. This is the post of a typical Buffalo fan. Looks good on paper therefore they got it right.

There were loads of posts like this each time a new coach rolled in for the Bills. You know the list since Wade. It's lengthy at this point.

I'll wait until they surpass 8 wins a couple of times to make this call. Until then these coaches/GMs are nothing more than different than the last guys.