PDA

View Full Version : Let the celebrations begin

Mr. Miyagi
05-23-2017, 12:06 PM
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has officially informed players that the league is backing off its heavy-handed approach to penalizing celebrations.

In a letter to players, Goodell wrote that previously penalized celebrations, including making snow angels, using the ball as a prop and engaging in group demonstrations, will now be legal.

http://epidm.edgesuite.net/CMS/NFL/Commissioner_Letter.html

Huge development.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if dunking on the goal post is now legal or not though.

swiper
05-23-2017, 12:14 PM
http://epidm.edgesuite.net/CMS/NFL/Commissioner_Letter.html

Huge development.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if dunking on the goal post is now legal or not though.

You are happy about this? This is why you watch football?

Mr. Miyagi
05-23-2017, 12:31 PM
You are happy about this? This is why you watch football?
1. I did not express whether I was happy or not about this I think it is a good step forward to make football an entertainment as it already is.
2. This is not why I watch football, but it would certainly make it more fun to watch.
3. Are you not happy about this? If not for fun and entertainment, why do you watch football? Is it your occupation or an obligation?

swiper
05-23-2017, 12:33 PM
I don't like the change. I watch football because I enjoy the game, not the antics.

Joe Fo Sho
05-23-2017, 12:33 PM
The rule should be:

1 - Don't taunt an opposing player/team
2 - Don't touch an opposing player/team

Everything else should be fair game. Bring back the cell phone/sharpie celebrations.

Homegrown
05-23-2017, 12:37 PM
Bring back T.O. as special consultant!!

BTW - Swiper makes Wally seem like a whippersnapper

swiper
05-23-2017, 12:46 PM
Bring back T.O. as special consultant!!

BTW - Swiper makes Wally seem like a whippersnapper

Says the pot smoker.

Luisito23
05-23-2017, 01:21 PM
:lol:

Pinkerton Security
05-23-2017, 01:51 PM
I don't like the change. I watch football because I enjoy the game, not the antics.

If a group celebration after a TD ruins your football Sunday, I feel really bad for you.

Pinkerton Security
05-23-2017, 01:52 PM
Says the pot smoker.
BURN! Pun intended. As if "pot smoker" is some huge insult lol, practically the adult equivalent of "doody head"

swiper
05-23-2017, 03:07 PM
You are all idiots.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=auto%20accident%20by%20pot%20smoker&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&pq=auto%20accident%20by%20pot%20&sc=0-21&sk=&cvid=B82A5689654C4B37B7030399B2BC45B2 (https://www.bing.com/search?q=auto%20accident%20by%20pot%20smoker&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&pq=auto%20accident%20by%20pot%20&sc=0-21&sk=&cvid=B82A5689654C4B37B7030399B2BC45B2)

swiper
05-23-2017, 03:08 PM
If a group celebration after a TD ruins your football Sunday, I feel really bad for you.

There's a line. Now that line is erased. And the circus shall begin.

Must be too hard for you doped up children to get.

ParanoidAndroid
05-23-2017, 03:40 PM

It's an imaginary line and it's infinitely moveable. Yours, at present, is apparently a circle around your barka lounger with a 3 foot radius.

OpIv37
05-23-2017, 04:24 PM
The rule should be:

1 - Don't taunt an opposing player/team
2 - Don't touch an opposing player/team

Everything else should be fair game. Bring back the cell phone/sharpie celebrations.
I'd add one more: don't take too long and delay the game.

Personally, I don't care for the showboating stuff- I prefer the "act like you've been there before" approach. But I don't see why it needs to be taken out. If some guys want to have a little fun with it, let them.

Luisito23
05-23-2017, 05:57 PM
Kick it old school and stay classy like Barry Sanders did...

I really don't mind them bringing back the celebrations though...a lot of them were very creative and fun to see.

But yes, don't drag it out.

kgun12
05-23-2017, 06:18 PM
This will get out of hand fairly quickly, sharpie's, eating popcorn will seem like child's play for what's to come. This generation of entitled athlete's willgo nuts. Celebrations will be restricted again within 2-3 years.

swiper
05-23-2017, 06:19 PM
It's an imaginary line and it's infinitely moveable. Yours, at present, is apparently a circle around your barka lounger with a 3 foot radius.

I don't own one of those.

ParanoidAndroid
05-23-2017, 06:41 PM
I don't own one of those.
:whoosh:

Joe Fo Sho
05-23-2017, 06:55 PM
I'd add one more: don't take too long and delay the game.

Personally, I don't care for the showboating stuff- I prefer the "act like you've been there before" approach. But I don't see why it needs to be taken out. If some guys want to have a little fun with it, let them.

This can be fixed with a rule that already exists. As soon as you score a touchdown, start the play clock. A 5 yard penalty is a bigger deal today with the 30 yard extra point than it used to be.

Joe Fo Sho
05-23-2017, 06:59 PM

If it helps, you can just put a box over your head as soon as the ball crosses the endzone to block your view of the celebration. It'll create a nice little safe space for you.

feldspar
05-23-2017, 08:16 PM
Meh.

I think some of these celebrations are just plain embarrassing and idiotic. Whatever.

Sometimes, you see player make a tackle for a two-yard loss and behave as though they just won the Super Bowl as a result too...doesn't even matter if their team was down 20 points at the time or if they wind up losing the game, apparently.

I'm not really a fan of end zone celebrations, but at the same time it's a non-issue with me. If that's what they want to do, then let them.

OpIv37
05-23-2017, 08:29 PM
Meh.

I think some of these celebrations are just plain embarrassing and idiotic. Whatever.

Sometimes, you see player make a tackle for a two-yard loss and behave as though they just won the Super Bowl as a result too...doesn't even matter if their team was down 20 points at the time or if they wind up losing the game, apparently.

I'm not really a fan of end zone celebrations, but at the same time it's a non-issue with me. If that's what they want to do, then let them.

I call that "Aaron Maybin syndrome."

stuckincincy
05-23-2017, 08:57 PM

I agree.

The world is already chock full of braggadocio and in-your-face. I get nothing from watching strutting, crowing multi-millionaires act like a petulant child, as if the world revolves around them because they made a tackle.

kishoph
05-24-2017, 08:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGJb2iLvOKE

Night Train
05-24-2017, 08:16 AM
The whole penalty policy was beyond stupid. It's one thing to roll our eyes at some of these celebrations but to throw a flag was wrong.

swiper
05-24-2017, 08:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGJb2iLvOKE

LOL. There it is. The line. Not gray at all. Two pumps good. Three pumps flag.

:rofl:

Jan Reimers
05-24-2017, 08:25 AM
I actually hate these mindless, choreographed "celebrations. I consider them stupid. I really miss the days of Jim Brown and other classy players handing the ball to the official and trotting off the field.

cookie G
05-24-2017, 08:47 AM
Kick it old school and stay classy like Barry Sanders did...

I really don't mind them bringing back the celebrations though...a lot of them were very creative and fun to see.

But yes, don't drag it out.

I agree with this. I've never had much of a problem with a celebration that shows some imagination.

As far as Barry Sanders...any celebration he could come up with would have been anticlimatic. The way he got to the endzone was the celebration.