• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Top position battles?

What are the 'big' position battles you are looking forward to watching as the off-season progresses?

Are WR#2 and RT still 'battles', or did the drafting of Jones and Dawkins immediately solidify those positions?
    The same with CB and White?

Are Hyde and Poyer FA locks at the safety positions?

Are the 'real' battles now narrowed down to a couple of starting spots on defense (MLB, WLB) and a bunch of back-up positions (#3 WR, #2 QB, #2 RB, swing OT, etc) on offense?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: Top position battles?

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
    What are the 'big' position battles you are looking forward to watching as the off-season progresses?

Are WR#2 and RT still 'battles', or did the drafting of Jones and Dawkins immediately solidify those positions?
    The same with CB and White?

Are Hyde and Poyer FA locks at the safety positions?

Are the 'real' battles now narrowed down to a couple of starting spots on defense (MLB, WLB) and a bunch of back-up positions (#3 WR, #2 QB, #2 RB, swing OT, etc) on offense?
    I think RT is definitely a battle, but I don't expect much of one at WR #2. I think Holmes will pretty easily win that job and Jones will work out of the slot early on. I'm sure we'll see him on the outside some but he's got a lot to learn coming form his system into a pro style.

At CB, I have no idea what it's going to look like for #3 and #4. You would think Seymour and Wright, but who knows.

Hyde and Poyer are likely locks but I want to see what guys like Elston and Dowling can bring.

I don't think there is going to be much of a battle at MLB. They are going to give Ragland every chance to lose that job.

WLB is going to be quite possibly the most interesting battle along with RT.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
      Skoobasaurus-Rex
      • Oct 2011

LB's needed, apply within.

Comment

• jamze132
        Don’t hate…
        • Jun 2003

I think you're going to see Sammy Watkins battle the IR again.

Comment

• k-oneputt
          • Jun 2009

The three rookies White, Jones, Dawkins all start.
          New regime and these are their guys, plus they are better then anything in front of them.

Comment

• EDS
            • Jan 2003

I would be surprised if White did not start at corner, but not surprised if Jones and Dawkins start the season as backups. The safeties seem like a lock given the absence of proven depth behind them. I am most curious to see how they align the linebackers, both on first down and on passing downs. Seems like they still are missing someone who can cover a tight end.

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

QB

If TT still can't find TE's in Coach Rico's system, then I wouldn't mind going with the rookie . TT's been given more weapons than Fitz ever had. Don't care if he can run. I want a QB who can pass.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                • Jun 2024

There is also a battle for the bottom position -- at the bottom of Kim on top.

Comment

• sukie
                  Seriously?
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                  QB

If TT still can't find TE's in Coach Rico's system, then I wouldn't mind going with the rookie . TT's been given more weapons than Fitz ever had. Don't care if he can run. I want a QB who can pass.
                  He had a pretty meh receiver corps last season

Comment

• Homegrown
                    Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
                    • Jul 2008

Who's going to be the teams token white guy skill position player?

Comment

• sukie
                      Seriously?
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Homegrown View Post
                      Who's going to be the teams token white guy skill position player?
                      Need a high motor undersized pink linebacker that overachieves

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by sukie View Post
                        He had a pretty meh receiver corps last season
                        Not seeing wide open receivers is not due to lack of talent in the receiving dept. IMO ,it's a qb vision problem.

Our wr corps was still better than what Fitz had when Fitz was here . Clay was a stud in Miami and Hogan all of a sudden was better with Pats.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• John Doe
                          Florida Man
                          • Jul 2002

Not seeing wide open receivers is not due to lack of talent in the receiving dept. IMO ,it's a qb vision problem.

Our wr corps was still better than what Fitz had when Fitz was here . Clay was a stud in Miami and Hogan all of a sudden was better with Pats.
                          Hogan gained more yards for the Pats in a "wide open" offense, but he was certainly utilized effectively by the Bills as well.

Hogan caught 38 passes for the Pats in 2016, 36 for the Bills in 2015, and 41 for the Bills in 2014.

Comment

• Arm of Harm
                            • Dec 2015

QB

My guess is that Tyrod will be our starter on opening day. But Yates has had some success. If Tyrod should falter, Yates could be an interesting alternative.

Normally you wouldn't expect a 5th round rookie QB to even be mentioned in a discussion about who's going to start. Maybe Peterman's name doesn't deserve to be mentioned. On the other hand, he's considered the most NFL-ready of this year's QB draft class, and appears to have better accuracy than expected from a fifth round pick. Allegedly he also has very good information processing ability, though I did not see much evidence of him going through multiple reads in the film I watched. (I'm not saying he doesn't have this information processing ability, just that I have yet to be convinced by firsthand evidence.) While I believe that Peterman is the least likely of the three to be our starter--at least for this season--he is certainly an intriguing dark horse candidate.

Comment

• Night Train
                              Retired - On Several Levels
                              • Jul 2005

Dawkins, starting at either tackle position.

I doubt the new regime gives a flying crap about what Glenn makes. If he's a better fit at RT, play him there. He's still rehabbing and Dawkins is missing reps at RT. He started at LT while at Temple. Don't mess with the young, healthy talent.
                              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                              X