PDA

View Full Version : The NFL's 15 Most Awkward QB Situations

Night Train
05-24-2017, 08:26 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-the-nfls-15-most-awkward-qb-situations-from-brady-to-glennon/

Not a bad read. Bills mention actually has some merit. Taylor is the obvious #1 today... but down deep, McDermott hopes he sees something in Peterman or Jones. If not, two #1's next year. I'm sure he also hopes Taylor surprises him but we'll see.

I heard what our HC and Beane said. Eyes wide open for them. I skipped camp last year but plan on 2-3 visits this summer to cast my eyes on the most critical position. The media opinions mean nothing. I can see talent as well as them and so can you.

Intriguing.

swiper
05-25-2017, 05:05 AM
The evolution of the college game has changed the face of QBs available to NFL teams. It's not so easy to find a guy that can play in the NFL now. That article does a good job of underscoring that. Why do the Bears owe Mike Glennon an explanation? Nobody in Chicago expects him to be Jim McMahon.

Night Train
05-25-2017, 06:42 AM
Alex Smith is a carbon copy of Steve Deberg from the 70's-80's. Always held the fort until the next big thing showed up. (Montana,Elway,Vinnie Testaverde etc.) . The game manager moniker is poison but he's still a guy that will have 10 teams courting him, once Andy Reid rushes Mahomes into the lineup.

psubills62
05-25-2017, 10:24 AM
Honestly surprised we're not at least a little higher. Taylor is one of those QB's who is good enough to make you want him to be the guy, but it's also clear he's not.

Generalissimus Gibby
05-25-2017, 11:04 AM
Alex Smith is a carbon copy of Steve Deberg from the 70's-80's. Always held the fort until the next big thing showed up. (Montana,Elway,Vinnie Testaverde etc.) . The game manager moniker is poison but he's still a guy that will have 10 teams courting him, once Andy Reid rushes Mahomes into the lineup.

Reid puts in Mahomes and he will be looking for a new gig himself.

WagonCircler
05-25-2017, 11:46 AM
"I'm not sure there is a team out there that has the depth that we do at the quarterback position," McDermott said.

This is the kind of thing that makes me wonder if the Bills haven't just made a horrible mistake.

I hope and pray that it isn't the case, but how the hell do you say this with a straight face?

Depths of despair, maybe.

swiper
05-25-2017, 12:12 PM

Yep.

swiper
05-25-2017, 12:14 PM
"I'm not sure there is a team out there that has the depth that we do at the quarterback position," McDermott said.

This is the kind of thing that makes me wonder if the Bills haven't just made a horrible mistake.

I hope and pray that it isn't the case, but how the hell do you say this with a straight face?

Yikes. Did he really say that?

I remember feeling good about the Bills back-up situation only a couple of times... Frank Reich & Bill Munson come to mind.

Joe Fo Sho
05-25-2017, 12:34 PM

Pffft, we're probably one of the few teams that has 4 backup quality QBs on their roster.

WagonCircler
05-25-2017, 04:11 PM
Pffft, we're probably one of the few teams that has 4 backup quality QBs on their roster.

We have one quality backup, and he's our starter.

We have a rookie, Peterman, who we haven't seen.

We have a journeyman in Yates who's on his 3rd or 4th team - not a good sign.

And we have a box of rocks who won't even be on the roster come late August.

It's as though Whaley is still here and disguised as McDermott.

swiper
05-25-2017, 06:55 PM

Oh boy.

Frenchman
05-25-2017, 07:16 PM
Alex Smith needs to win a playoff game and better yet, take the Chiefs to the Super Bowl to prove a point it seems. Taylor just needs to get accurate as well as give Buffalo their first playoff season in seventeen years.

Joe Fo Sho
05-25-2017, 09:44 PM

Not even the Patriots have 4 backup quality quarterbacks on their team.

WagonCircler
05-26-2017, 07:23 AM
Not even the Patriots have 4 backup quality quarterbacks on their team.

Neither do the Bills.

Joe Fo Sho
05-26-2017, 07:58 AM
Neither do the Bills.

Sure we do. We have 4 backup quality quarterbacks. We do not have 4 quality backup quarterbacks.

Arm of Harm
05-26-2017, 08:52 AM

I'm not sure if you're right or wrong to be concerned about this comment. And before I go any further, I'll acknowledge that there's a chance I'm being overly optimistic, due to my own homerism/desire to believe the best about McDermott.

That being said, I don't necessarily blame McDermott for feeling optimistic about Peterman. If he didn't feel optimistic about him, he wouldn't have drafted him in the first place.

As for Yates: his career average (http://www.nfl.com/player/t.j.yates/2508123/profile) is 6.8 yards per attempt, compared with 6.7 for Ryan Fitzpatrick (http://www.nfl.com/player/ryanfitzpatrick/2506581/profile). I'm not saying Yates is better than Fitzpatrick. On the other hand, he's probably good enough that a reasonable coach could classify him as a decent depth player. Better, at any rate, than the Patriots' third string QB; who did a horrible job against the Bills.

WagonCircler
05-26-2017, 09:31 AM
I'm not sure if you're right or wrong to be concerned about this comment. And before I go any further, I'll acknowledge that there's a chance I'm being overly optimistic, due to my own homerism/desire to believe the best about McDermott.

That being said, I don't necessarily blame McDermott for feeling optimistic about Peterman. If he didn't feel optimistic about him, he wouldn't have drafted him in the first place.

As for Yates: his career average (http://www.nfl.com/player/t.j.yates/2508123/profile) is 6.8 yards per attempt, compared with 6.7 for Ryan Fitzpatrick (http://www.nfl.com/player/ryanfitzpatrick/2506581/profile). I'm not saying Yates is better than Fitzpatrick. On the other hand, he's probably good enough that a reasonable coach could classify him as a decent depth player. Better, at any rate, than the Patriots' third string QB; who did a horrible job against the Bills.

I'm basically with you 100% on this.

I have no problem with the Yates signing, because of his experience with this specific Offense.

I am also very hopeful about Peterman. He's just a question mark to me until we see him under live NFL fire.

I think Cardale Jones was the most asinine reach during Whaley's time here, and that's a really, REALLY high bar. I also do not think he is long for this roster.

Tyrod has shown us exactly what he is. A stopgap with some very good qualities (doesn't turn the ball over, runs well, good kid.)

My problem is with McDermott (whom I'm also very hopeful about) characterizing the situation described above as being desirable. He even implies that it's exceptional.

I understand the benefits of coach-speak. But when it swerves into the ridiculous lane, like this does, it just makes me cringe.

WagonCircler
05-26-2017, 09:33 AM
Sure we do. We have 4 backup quality quarterbacks. We do not have 4 quality backup quarterbacks.

I understand what you're saying. I just don't even count Cardale as backup quality. Maybe CFL backup quality. They literally had to teach this kid how to take a snap from center--in an NFL training camp.

TigerJ
05-26-2017, 01:31 PM
Alex Smith is a carbon copy of Steve Deberg from the 70's-80's. Always held the fort until the next big thing showed up. (Montana,Elway,Vinnie Testaverde etc.) . The game manager moniker is poison but he's still a guy that will have 10 teams courting him, once Andy Reid rushes Mahomes into the lineup.Perhaps a similar role, but different QBs. Smith is more athletic, but has less of an arm. Neither is an exciting QB known for big plays. Both are stuck with the dreaded moniker - "game manager."

BillsImpossible
05-26-2017, 08:25 PM

It's definitely coach speak, but I don't think McDermott is implying what everyone is thinking.

I think it's his subtle way of saying there's going to be a competition for the starting QB position without directly saying there's going to be a quarterback competition.

May the best QB win.

What interests me the most about the QB competition is the style of offense Dennison likes to run.

Taylor, Jones and Peterman will all be competing for the starting position.

Taylor should thrive in Dennison's offense, but his penchant for missing guys wide open in the middle of the field waving their arms in desperation is a big concern.

Cardale Jones is a wild card. He may not know much about Shakespeare, but he knows how to play the game of football.

Nathan Peterman is the Great White Hope of Buffalo. Even if Peterman were black, I'd still call him the Great White Hope.

5th round draft pick out of Pitt...."cerebral," and supposedly the best potential immediate starter out of any QB in the 2016 draft class.

I'm with the coach. I think this is going to be one hell of a quarterback competition.

WagonCircler
05-26-2017, 11:53 PM
Cardale Jones is a wild card. He may not know much about Shakespeare, but he knows how to play the game of football..

No, he doesn't. Not at the NFL level.

In fact, not even at the NCAA level. He was benched, permanently, for being a dumbass. At Ohio State! That's like being the ugliest woman at an Indigo Girls concert. You have to be remarkably stupid to be demoted for stupidity at Ohio State.

But Cardale accomplished it.

There's no way in hell the Bills draft Peterman if they have an iota of confidence in Cardale Jones.

He's another in a long line of Whaley FAIL.

swiper
05-27-2017, 04:54 AM
No, he doesn't. Not at the NFL level.

In fact, not even at the NCAA level. He was benched, permanently, for being a dumbass. At Ohio State! That's like being the ugliest woman at an Indigo Girls concert. You have to be remarkably stupid to be demoted for stupidity at Ohio State.

But Cardale accomplished it.

There's no way in hell the Bills draft Peterman if they have an iota of confidence in Cardale Jones.

He's another in a long line of Whaley FAIL.

In fact the Bills will take a long look at Jones vs Peterman in camp and likely let the lesser of the two (in terms of potential) go. I wouldn't be surprised if Jones was gone by opening day.

Arm of Harm
05-27-2017, 06:14 AM
In fact the Bills will take a long look at Jones vs Peterman in camp and likely let the lesser of the two (in terms of potential) go. I wouldn't be surprised if Jones was gone by opening day.

I very much doubt Cardale Jones is still on the team by opening day. The front office incompetence which led the team to draft Cardale in the first place is no longer with us. Moreover, all the positions appear to be filled. Tyrod Taylor is the projected starter, at least for 2017. Yates is the veteran backup. Peterman is the third string rookie developmental QB. Not much room for Cardale, unless the Bills elect to keep four quarterbacks on their roster. I'm guessing that if they were going to keep four quarterbacks, they'd need a bigger incentive to do so than to hold onto one of the previous front office's misfires.

Night Train
05-27-2017, 07:45 PM
Jones was the 10th comp. pick (42nd pick) of round 4, which means he's basically a 5th round pick.

Like Peterman or anyone selected on Saturday, not much of a gamble. If anyone from Saturday can actually contribute, it's a bonus.

A QB taken on Saturday is going to do nothing in the NFL 95% of the time.

poplarbluffman
05-28-2017, 06:04 PM
lot of hate towards Jones...ok Buffallo has a kkk chapter...never knew that

Arm of Harm
05-28-2017, 06:32 PM

Troll much?

BillsImpossible
05-28-2017, 07:05 PM

In a city that is dominated by the party that founded the kkk, what do you expect?

swiper
05-29-2017, 05:08 AM

Are you kidding? How about watching him some of us can see that he's not a good QB?

YardRat
05-29-2017, 06:07 AM
If Jones is the odd man out, and can't play at the NFL level, and never does anything here or anywhere as a professional QB...big freakin' deal, he was a fourth round pick for chrissakes. Small risk with the potential for a big reward that didn't hit.

WagonCircler
05-29-2017, 08:57 AM

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/11952955/buffalo-bills-fans-raise-100000-darryl-talley-former-linebacker

Arm of Harm
05-29-2017, 09:34 AM
Are you kidding? How about watching him some of us can see that he's not a good QB?

On these boards, it's perfectly acceptable to point out a white QB's flaws. Rob Johnson taking too many sacks, Trent Edwards checking down too often, Kelly Holcomb having too weak an arm. Cardale Jones is a 4th round pick, chosen by a failed GM whose biggest weakness was his inability to evaluate QB talent. A guy who proved little in college, and (thus far) even less in the NFL. And yet there are those who think he should be exempt from criticism; and that anyone who thinks otherwise must be a kkk member.