PDA

View Full Version : more on Tyrod's restructured deal

DetDannyWilliams
05-28-2017, 12:24 PM
The team can get out of the restructured contract the quarterback signed for a manageable charge against the salary cap in 2018 if Taylor does not show significant progress as the starter. In that sense, the deal he signed is “50-50” in terms of building for the upcoming year and future seasons.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/27/roster-turnover-well-underway-bills-change-looms-horizon/

SpikedLemonade
05-28-2017, 12:31 PM
I hope our other QBs have excellent training camps.

I think we all know TTs limitations by now.

Arm of Harm
05-28-2017, 03:31 PM
I'd be curious to know when the Bills need to make a decision on Taylor's contract. Ideally, they'd be able to wait until after the 2018 draft before cutting him loose. That way they'd have the QB of the future on the roster--assuming they take a QB in the first round--before parting ways.

Night Train
05-28-2017, 03:46 PM
They are not reducing cap hits and spreading the $ further out. That way big contracts vanish in a year or 2 and McDermott/Beane get to shape the roster their way.

Smart...Finally..

GingerP
05-28-2017, 10:07 PM
I'd be curious to know when the Bills need to make a decision on Taylor's contract. Ideally, they'd be able to wait until after the 2018 draft before cutting him loose. That way they'd have the QB of the future on the roster--assuming they take a QB in the first round--before parting ways.

They have to make a decision by the 3rd day of the league year on a $6M roster bonus, so they can't wait until the draft. Taylor has a $18M cap number for 2018, but the contract voids if they don't pick up the roster bonus. He would count $8,640,000 in dead money on the 2018 cap.

SpikedLemonade
05-29-2017, 07:02 AM
They have to make a decision by the 3rd day of the league year on a $6M roster bonus, so they can't wait until the draft. Taylor has a $18M cap number for 2018, but the contract voids if they don't pick up the roster bonus. He would count $8,640,000 in dead money on the 2018 cap.

Oh poop!

GingerP
05-29-2017, 07:21 AM
Oh poop!

That is actually quite manageable. This year's unajusted cap is $167M. We don't know what the 2018 cap will be yet, but it will likely be in the mid-170M-ish range. If they decide to move on from Taylor, it will be less than 5% of their cap.

Look at Colin Kaepernick in SF. He is counting almost $5M in dead money against their cap, and they still have $70M+ in cap room left this year after FA and the draft. The Bill will be fine cap-wise moving forward, they are paying for the sins of the past now.

GreedoII
05-29-2017, 07:47 AM
I'm high on Peterman so hopefully he develops

Arm of Harm
05-29-2017, 07:57 AM

What I don't like about this situation is that they won't know which QB (if any) they will have drafted before they have to make a decision about Tyrod. If they release him, then that's a clear signal they plan to draft a QB, if necessary by trading up in the draft. I don't like them having to reveal information about their draft plans to other teams.

HHURRICANE
05-29-2017, 09:53 AM
I don't like them having to reveal information about their draft plans to other teams.

Well if Tyrod has a bad year wouldn't it be obvious?

feldspar
05-29-2017, 10:21 AM
What I don't like about this situation is that they won't know which QB (if any) they will have drafted before they have to make a decision about Tyrod. If they release him, then that's a clear signal they plan to draft a QB, if necessary by trading up in the draft. I don't like them having to reveal information about their draft plans to other teams.

Why would they have to do anything about Tyrod before the draft next year?

They don't, and they probably shouldn't.

He's under contract through 2018.

If they cut him loose, there is no reason to do that until they've gotten their man. If they replace him, then the Bills are better off trying to trade Taylor, which is very possible.

Arm of Harm
05-29-2017, 10:59 AM
Why would they have to do anything about Tyrod before the draft next year?

They don't, and they probably shouldn't.

He's under contract through 2018.

If they cut him loose, there is no reason to do that until they've gotten their man. If they replace him, then the Bills are better off trying to trade Taylor, which is very possible.

Now that you mention it, I like the idea of trading Tyrod. Better to get even a small amount of compensation in a trade, than nothing at all by cutting him loose.

WagonCircler
05-29-2017, 11:08 AM

I think it will be pretty obvious at that point. If he plays poorly enough or stagnant enough to make it clear that they need to move on, it will have been a foregone conclusion.