PDA

View Full Version : Early signs positive on Dareus

Wally The Barber
05-30-2017, 06:22 PM
- Early signs positive on Dareus (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-Today-Early-signs-positive-on-Dareus/ecc109b2-2c4e-4d8d-8d0b-b42cd11db740)He’s had some bumps in the road in his career with the Bills, but under new head coach Sean McDermott, the structure and accountability seems to benefit Dareus as he works to recapture his Pro Bowl level play. “I’ve been with other teams and I’ve had a chance to watch him at tape and sometimes I’d look at some of the plays he would make and I thought, ‘Wow, this guy is pretty hard to block,’” said Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier. “I could see how offenses were having a tough time with him. We want to get him to be that consistently great player that he’s capable of being. That’s the challenge for us.”
Thus far Dareus has taken part in just about every offseason activity and followed much of the club’s offseason program to the letter.
“The time that Marcell is putting in, you know, I couldn’t be happier at this point in time,” he said. “I really believe that. He’s bought in to what we’re doing and what Coach Waufle is doing on the defensive front. You know, that said, we have to continue to respect the process, and when you’re a pro that’s ongoing. You do it every day on a consistent basis over the course of time. So, that’s true of our entire team, myself included, so consistency is the key at this point.”
“Everything we’ve seen up to this point in the time that we’ve been on the field and what we’ve done in the meetings he’s all in,” said Frazier. “That’s good for our defense and our team. If we can just maintain this and keep pushing and keep growing together he has a chance to be what we think he’s capable of being. That’s one of the most dominant interior defensive linemen in the National Football League.”
2 - Wood close to full strength and stamina
Bills center <nobr>Eric Woodhttp://www.buffalobills.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/eric-wood/28177895-2da7-45bc-bdcf-80ff3f3995f2/)</nobr> has been at OTA practices as expected the past two weeks. He’s still working back to full strength and stamina after he missed the last seven games in 2016 with a broken leg, but he’s participating fully. “Coming back slowly but surely,” he said. “Out here getting comfortable after taking a little time off. I’m healed so there’s not a lot of risk in playing. I just have to get back to my self-expected level of play. But it’s coming along and I’m almost all the way back.”
Wood said he’s not going with a full rep count every single day, but when he is practicing he is taking part in every aspect of the practice session.
3 - Covering all the bases
Each practice for the Bills has a situational period or two where head coach Sean McDermott presents the offense, defense or special teams unit with a game situation that could come up on a Sunday. It could be something commonly seen or very rare. Suffice to say that McDermott wants to spring as many possible scenarios on his players as he can.
“It helps not just the quarterbacks, but the team to be prepared for every situation that comes up,” said <nobr>Cardale Joneshttp://www.buffalobills.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/cardale-jones/4facce17-b43d-491e-ae2c-1857f4a3c3f2/)</nobr> of the situational periods in practice. “We had a situation this week where guys fumble the ball in the back of the end zone by celebrating too early. He puts us in every situation he can think of that occurred just one time in the last 20 years. He says, ‘You never know. This may happen.’ Just making sure we’re prepared.”
“We believe in not beating ourselves,” said McDermott. “I know that the margin of winning in the NFL is so small that you can’t beat yourself, and that speaks to pre-snap penalties, post-snap penalties, discipline, accountability – all those things. We spend a lot of time emphasizing that through different avenues when we teach.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-Today-Early-signs-positive-on-Dareus/ecc109b2-2c4e-4d8d-8d0b-b42cd11db740 (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-Today-Early-signs-positive-on-Dareus/ecc109b2-2c4e-4d8d-8d0b-b42cd11db740)

DraftBoy
05-30-2017, 06:25 PM
This is a coach who gets "it".

“We believe in not beating ourselves,” said McDermott. “I know that the margin of winning in the NFL is so small that you can’t beat yourself, and that speaks to pre-snap penalties, post-snap penalties, discipline, accountability – all those things. We spend a lot of time emphasizing that through different avenues when we teach.”

kgun12
05-30-2017, 06:54 PM
These people are just like kids, give them rules and responsibilities and they will produce, Try to be their friends and give them choices and the smoke fake pot and get fat! Look at all the champions of all the major sports and MOST winners have one thing in common, tough hard nose coaches that don't take any carp from any of their players. The main reason under Levy we never won a SB, no rules, he gave them all the rope they wanted and the huge themselves, 4 times!

Goobylal
05-30-2017, 07:02 PM
Going back to the 4-3 will be huge for the defense. That's why I never wanted Rex.

Night Train
05-30-2017, 07:36 PM
But..but..but Mitch posted we need to cancel his contract !

https://cdn-webimages.wimages.net/050edc81c619d03908640234f1a3df07d7945a-wm.jpg?v=3

Skooby
05-31-2017, 12:02 AM
But..but..but Mitch posted we need to cancel his contract !

https://cdn-webimages.wimages.net/050edc81c619d03908640234f1a3df07d7945a-wm.jpg?v=3
The dude likes drugs and reckless driving, tell me how handing him $100 Million is going to make this better ? He's one conduct slip up from a long-term suspension, he's also already on the NFL radar so we are looking at a huge risk / reward scenario. I tend to be conservative so to me he looks like a train wreck all ready to happen, let's hope for the best (and for rainbows and unicorns as well).

Goobylal
05-31-2017, 10:38 AM
The dude likes drugs and reckless driving, tell me how handing him $100 Million is going to make this better ? He's one conduct slip up from a long-term suspension, he's also already on the NFL radar so we are looking at a huge risk / reward scenario. I tend to be conservative so to me he looks like a train wreck all ready to happen, let's hope for the best (and for rainbows and unicorns as well).

You could say that about the majority of NFL players.

Luisito23
05-31-2017, 10:53 AM

Yeah, but not many get suspended as much as this dumb ass has.

Night Train
05-31-2017, 11:19 AM
My point is the dead money hit on star players. Cheaper to keep him and no one behind him has anywhere near his talent. Play him.

cookie G
05-31-2017, 04:37 PM
“I’ve been with other teams and I’ve had a chance to watch him at tape and sometimes I’d look at some of the plays he would make and I thought, ‘Wow, this guy is pretty hard to block,’” said Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier. “I could see how offenses were having a tough time with him. We want to get him to be that consistently great player that he’s capable of being. That’s the challenge for us. Thus far Dareus has taken part in just about every offseason activity and followed much of the club’s offseason program to the letter.
“The time that Marcell is putting in, you know, I couldn’t be happier at this point in time,” he said. “I really believe that. He’s bought in to what we’re doing and what Coach Waufle is doing on the defensive front. ”

Or maybe Lelsie Frazier "bought in" on what Dareus, as well as the rest of the DL is capable of doing.

The best thing Frazier could have done is say, "I'm taking the chains off, the big dawgs are gonna hunt again."

And the best thing Kyle, Hughes and Dareus could say is, "watch the tape from '13-'14..don't screw with us"

And I really hope Frazier realizes that this is probably his last chance at any coaching above the positional spot. After the end of Minny and in TB..he has a hell of a lot to prove.

Don't be a Rob Ryan and screw up the opportunity.

SpikedLemonade
05-31-2017, 04:45 PM
Dareus better come play this year for each and every game.

cookie G
05-31-2017, 04:58 PM
Dareus better come play this year for each and every game.

If not, he moves to Canada and lives on your couch, Leanne. You and Sean can adopt him and hire Kathy Bates as his tutor/life coach.

It'll all be up to you.

SpikedLemonade
05-31-2017, 05:00 PM
If not, he moves to Canada and lives on your couch, Leanne. You and Sean can adopt him and hire Kathy Bates as his tutor/life coach.

It'll all be up to you.

I am always suspicious of the proper draft value of Alabama players.

Lou Saban inflates that value by his coaching and ability to recruit excellent teammates.

In other words, in that system with all of that talent around you, the player looks better than he actually is.

cookie G
05-31-2017, 08:01 PM

Lou Saban inflates that value by his coaching and ability to recruit excellent teammates.

In other words, in that system with all of that talent around you, the player looks better than he actually is.

IM getting suspicious of them too.

But it seems like many experience burnout before they ever get to the NFL. If its how hard he pushes them or his hovering control over their lives, idk, but they do seem to have more of their share who seem to stop working out, or get in trouble in the NFL.

The best analogy I can give are some guys I remembered in high school..They never drank, never went out, never smoked pot, their parents smothered them..

..and then they got to college. Even after all these years, I can still think of a half dozen who flunked out of college their first year (or were put on double secret probation).

Larry Kroger Syndrome.

swiper
05-31-2017, 08:10 PM
Or maybe Lelsie Frazier "bought in" on what Dareus, as well as the rest of the DL is capable of doing.

The best thing Frazier could have done is say, "I'm taking the chains off, the big dawgs are gonna hunt again."

And the best thing Kyle, Hughes and Dareus could say is, "watch the tape from '13-'14..don't screw with us"

And I really hope Frazier realizes that this is probably his last chance at any coaching above the positional spot. After the end of Minny and in TB..he has a hell of a lot to prove.

Don't be a Rob Ryan and screw up the opportunity.

I think that's only what you hope. I don't think it's Frazier's style to let the big dogs go hunting.

elroy16
06-01-2017, 11:53 AM
As with all things Bills related, I am cautiously optimistic. He's made a lot of money, but there's an out in his contract after 2018. I highly doubt he's going anywhere before then, his dead cap hit is too large. They can cut him after 2018 with a $7.8 million cap hit in 2019 and $1.4 in 2020.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/marcell-dareus-7718/

I guess they could pull a Texans/Osweiler move and trade Dareus and a draft pick for someone to take his cap hit off the books.

Sometimes it takes people a long time to figure out life, some never do it. He's made a ton of money ($50+ million) but could easily lose another $40+ million if he gets in any more trouble. Not only did he make a solid donation to Hope for Haiti, he went down there for three days to see a few schools and hospitals. Maybe seeing how rough some people have it opened his eyes a little bit and he's learned that it's not all about him, racing cars or getting high.

I know he's had a pretty damn rough life, but hopefully he's turned the page. If he can keep his head on straight, he has a great opportunity to do a lot of good for the community in Buffalo and Alabama, and selfishly for us, dominate the NFL.

justasportsfan
06-01-2017, 12:45 PM
I was worried about the thread title having the word "positive" and Dareus together :whew:

SpikedLemonade
06-01-2017, 02:21 PM
Any truth to the rumour that Dareus gained a lot of excess weight during the off-season?

Goobylal
06-01-2017, 02:46 PM
Any truth to the rumour that Dareus gained a lot of excess weight during the off-season?

No.

Skooby
06-01-2017, 08:47 PM

Is this really a valid argument ?

cookie G
06-02-2017, 09:48 AM
I think that's only what you hope. I don't think it's Frazier's style to let the big dogs go hunting.

idk...even if he does run a T-2, I've never heard him holding back the DL. His D's might not blitz much, and his rep. is being kind of conservative in coverage, but I've never heard of him holding his DL back.

Goobylal
06-03-2017, 06:36 AM
Is this really a valid argument ?

Many players have found ways to get around being caught doing stuff. Dareus can as well.

Besides, didn't you say that he wasn't going to do anything that would cause him to lose money anymore, like getting suspended?

kishoph
06-04-2017, 06:50 AM
When it comes to Dareus, I'll wait for his actions, words and promises from or about Dareus mean nothing to me. Such a shame, he has/had the skill to be a great one.
Of course playing under Rex and Rob certainly didn't help Dareus at all.

kscdogbillsfan1221
06-04-2017, 03:00 PM

correct team. wrong decade. i'm assuming you mean Nick :)

SpikedLemonade
06-04-2017, 03:14 PM
correct team. wrong decade. i'm assuming you mean Nick :)

Yes, of course.

Too many glasses of Pinot Gris.

swiper
06-11-2017, 09:27 AM
Bills’ new coaching staff a challenge for Marcell Dareus (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/11/bills-new-coaching-staff-a-challenge-for-marcell-dareus/)

New Bills coach Sean McDermott’s defense won’t necessarily be as good a fit for Dareus. And as for position coach Mike Waufle?

“It’s been challenging,” Dareus said, via the Buffalo News. “Dealing with an ex-Marine, he don’t play no games, he ain’t cutting no corners with us. But it’s well-deserved; we need it. We’re trying to be the best we can possibly be and he’s a hell of a coach and we’re excited to have him.”

Dareus said McDermott and his staff aren’t taking things easy on the players.

“I mean, the structure, alone, is pretty detailed,” Dareus said. “I don’t want to say he micro-manages, but he makes sure we’re very sharp on what we’re doing. [Coaches] are really on us and they’re paying a lot of attention to a lot of small details, making sure we’re doing the right things."

YardRat
06-11-2017, 10:27 AM
Dareus could use a little structure in his life.

feldspar
06-11-2017, 10:40 AM
Positive signs are what got him into trouble last year. ;)

Couldn't resist.

Goobylal
06-11-2017, 01:48 PM
He'll be back to his 2013-2014 form.

SpikedLemonade
06-11-2017, 04:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-eVxtuMR0o

Mace
06-11-2017, 08:29 PM
idk...even if he does run a T-2, I've never heard him holding back the DL. His D's might not blitz much, and his rep. is being kind of conservative in coverage, but I've never heard of him holding his DL back.

Yeah. 2007-2010 as Minnesota DC, Pat and Kevin Williams.

I just don't have much confidence in Dareus anymore. Will believe it when I see it.

Turf
06-11-2017, 09:33 PM
Sounds like they got Dareus's attention.

Goobylal
06-11-2017, 09:55 PM
Sounds like they got Dareus's attention.

Camp Rex was the worst thing for him. So too was playing NT.