PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Juan Castillo

TigerJ
05-30-2017, 08:20 PM
He's Buffalo's offensive line coach, and was on the John Murphy show. He's a surprisingly quiet and understated guy who is all about technique, teaching and positive reinforcement. He got his coaching start with the Bills as an intern under Marv Levy. McDermott has a full spectrum of coaches on his staff from fiery (Wauffle) to calm. The common denominator is experienced teaching ability. The interview, BTW is posted on the official Bills website.

YardRat
05-30-2017, 08:22 PM
Biggest, most obvious, and stark difference between this regime and Wrecks'....the hires for the staffs.

Luisito23
05-30-2017, 08:29 PM
They sound the part, but how things turn out, is another story.

Night Train
05-30-2017, 08:59 PM
They sound the part, but how things turn out, is another story.

Let's crush them before camp. Saves on pain later.

The internet rules.

Buddo
06-01-2017, 05:42 AM
I think one of the main differences will be, that McDermott will have pretty well defined roles for his coaches. There won't be any of the 'who is actually calling the plays' shenanigans on D, that we had with the Ryans and Dennis Thurman. That alone would be an improvement. It's not only players, who want to know, exactly what they are supposed to be doing.

Something else I like about what McDermott is doing, is bringing a lot of situational stuff into practices at the end of them. Especially the fact that he seems eager to throw in things that may have only happened once before, that he's seen. Not only does it foster the ability to react quickly to the occasional weird play that happens, it also challenges the players mentally, in a way that can keep their focus, through to the next practice. The players actually probably quite like it as well, as it's an opportunity for some entertainment, if it all goes horribly wrong, and a good way to send guys home with a smile on their faces. While that in itself, isn't important, they are professionals after all, I certainly see it as a good way to keep things moving along, while still getting work done at the end of the day.

elroy16
06-01-2017, 10:47 AM
I think one of the main differences will be, that McDermott will have pretty well defined roles for his coaches. There won't be any of the 'who is actually calling the plays' shenanigans on D, that we had with the Ryans and Dennis Thurman. That alone would be an improvement. It's not only players, who want to know, exactly what they are supposed to be doing.

Something else I like about what McDermott is doing, is bringing a lot of situational stuff into practices at the end of them. Especially the fact that he seems eager to throw in things that may have only happened once before, that he's seen. Not only does it foster the ability to react quickly to the occasional weird play that happens, it also challenges the players mentally, in a way that can keep their focus, through to the next practice. The players actually probably quite like it as well, as it's an opportunity for some entertainment, if it all goes horribly wrong, and a good way to send guys home with a smile on their faces. While that in itself, isn't important, they are professionals after all, I certainly see it as a good way to keep things moving along, while still getting work done at the end of the day.

I've noticed this as well and honestly can't recall hearing about this either way in years past, but it does seem like they are practicing situational football very early in the process. Beane has also talked about how they will watch games and discuss what they would do to in certain situations. Hopefully we'll finally see players reach for first downs instead of cutting back to go around defenders and losing the first down.

I like that the coaches they are bringing in all sound like they are dedicated to teaching. Castillo talked about how the offensive line is all about repetition. He said you can't give up on a guy if they try a new technique 100 times and still don't get it. Sometimes it takes a guy 200 or 250 reps.

He talked about Dawkins and how he's coming along well. He thinks he can play LT, RT, LG, and RG. These guys seem to really like versatility in their players.

justasportsfan
06-01-2017, 10:58 AM
What does Castillo call a drill when a DL is up against an OL player?

Juan on Juan :ill: