X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wally The Barber
    • Jul 2007

Bills get more cap space today

The Buffalo Bills are receiving some salary cap space today as part of a move they made months ago.

Safety Aaron Williams was designated as a post-June 1st cut when he was released back in March, and now that it is after June 1st, his $4.2 million cap savings is officially added on the team’s salary cap. Buffalo had $11.558 million in cap space prior to today, so they now have $15.758 million in cap space to work with or eventually carry over to next year. This figure includes the top 51 players of the 87 currently on the roster, including the recently drafted rookies.
    Following his release, Williams didn’t meet with a team until May 3rd when his former coach, Doug Marrone, brought him in for a visit with the Jacksonville Jaguars. He says he is healthy and would like to continue his career but no team has signed him yet.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/6/2/15723980/buffalo-bills-salary-cap-aaron-williams-savings-post-june-1-cut
    Last edited by Wally The Barber; 06-02-2017, 07:45 AM.
    Beware of Sarcasm
  • sukie
    Seriously?
    • Sep 2012

Re: Bills get more cap space today

Perhaps we are not done with this receiving corps yet.

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

They will keep it in reserve or consider raising their offer to TE Gary Barnidge. He states he is waiting for a better offer and a chance to start... but making nothing may be weighing on him now at this late date. We'll see.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

I think they'll use it on Barnidge.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Cali512
          • Jan 2012

I'd cut clay for Barnidge
          Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• feldspar
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Cali512 View Post
            Cutting Clay would result in $13.5 million in dead cap money.

He's set to count $9 million against the cap this year.

So, you do the math.

Comment

• Swiper
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Cali512 View Post
              LOL. That sounds about right.

Comment

• feldspar
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                LOL. That sounds about right.
                Not really...unless you want to pay $13.5 million to have Charles Clay off the team

That's less money that was added to the cap because of the Aaron Williams situation, which added $4.2 million to the cap, apparently. We'd lose money by cutting Clay (not save it), and STILL have to pay Barnidge...wouldn't make a lick of sense to do that.

May as well have Barnidge AND Clay, because that would probably be cheaper than having just Barnidge, really....obviously more economically sound, at least.

If Tyrod has a problem throwing intermediate passes to the middle of the field again, what's the difference who our tight ends are anyway.
                Last edited by feldspar; 06-02-2017, 06:50 PM.

Comment

• Mace
                  Haha...yeah you think so ?
                  • Mar 2013

My thought is that this isn't a team that's a step away from anything much. So use this as a training and evaluation year, decide your core building block players, and roll the money over into next year where it can be better used to accomplish something as a more solid step in a real plan.

No more band aids.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                    • Jun 2024

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                    Not really...unless you want to pay $13.5 million to have Charles Clay off the team

That's less money that was added to the cap because of the Aaron Williams situation, which added $4.2 million to the cap, apparently. We'd lose money by cutting Clay (not save it), and STILL have to pay Barnidge...wouldn't make a lick of sense to do that.

May as well have Barnidge AND Clay, because that would probably be cheaper than having just Barnidge, really....obviously more economically sound, at least.

If Tyrod has a problem throwing intermediate passes to the middle of the field again, what's the difference who our tight ends are anyway.
                    I hated the Clay signing then and I hate it even more now.

Just Whaley trying to screw the Dolphins.

NOT a logical football personnel improvement move.

Comment

• Arm of Harm
                      • Dec 2015

I'm not disagreeing with you. However, if Clay isn't part of the Bills' long-term plans, they might still be better-served by cutting him now rather than later. Sure, it makes the cap situation a little worse for this season, while also eliminating a good player. (A good player who hasn't reached his potential here due to his quarterback's limitations.) But the nice thing about cutting him this year is that then you get his dead cap money off the books this year, so that you start with a clean slate down the road. It's not as though the Bills are contending for anything in particular this season anyway. Better to get all the bad-tasting medicine out of the way at once, now, so that this type of stuff isn't dragging us down in the future.

Comment

• Swiper
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2010

Not really
                        I was referring to that statement made by that particular poster. It was a dumb suggestion, I agree.

Comment

Working...
                        X