PDA

View Full Version : Bills show strength on both lines,weakness at WR & CB

Wally The Barber
06-03-2017, 05:29 PM
Barring any last-second bottom of the roster maneuvering over the next couple weeks, the team the Buffalo Bills will bring to St. John Fisher College for training camp at the end of July is basically set.
From what I can tell, the Bills aren’t too highly thought of around NFL nation. The prognostications are starting to heat up, and most are not favorable regarding Sean McDermott’s first team.
Most of the absolutely meaningless, clickbait power rankings have the Bills in the mid- to bottom 20s, and until they prove otherwise, it’s tough to argue that. As it stands right now, with the team they have and the difficult (at least on paper) regular-season schedule they face, I don’t think Buffalo is more than a seven-win team, so if I wasted my time and yours and did my own power rankings, I guess I’d have the Bills in that 18-22 range.
The Bills have their final session of OTAs (voluntary, wink, wink) next week, a mandatory three-day mini-camp June 13-15, and then it’s bye, bye for a month and a half, a period on the calendar during which all NFL teams hold their breath hoping their players stay out of trouble, and don’t pull a Madison Bumgarner and break a shoulder falling off a motor bike.
<aside itemprop="associatedMedia" itemscope="" itemtype="http://schema.org/ImageObject" class="wide single-photo">https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/96218d01f21e608199efe5a0376319d8ecaf02ee/c=39-0-2678-1984&r=x408&c=540x405/local/-/media/2017/06/01/Rochester/Rochester/636319239706434582-JG-112716-Bills-35.JPGBuy PhotoBills defensive lineman Kyle Williams makes the tackle on Jaguars running back T.J. Yeldon (24). (Photo: Jamie Germano/@jgermano1/Staff Photographer)
</aside>
So, as the off-season winds down, here are a few thoughts on the roster:
If I had to pick what I believe is the strongest position unit, I’d go with the defensive line. McDermott’s switch to a 4-3 base fits Buffalo’s personnel much better than a 3-4. It allows Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus to play their preferred inside tackle spots, and gets Jerry Hughes and Shaq Lawson out on the ends with their hand on the ground rushing the passer.
I like how they look on the offensive line. All five starters – Cordy Glenn, Richie Incognito, Eric Wood, John Miller and Jordan Mills – are back, and if rookie second-round pick Dion Dawkins can beat out Mills at right tackle, they should be improved. Also, there’s viable depth with Mills/Dawkins and Ryan Groy.
Another area where I think they’ll be fine is running back/fullback. LeSean McCoy is still a stud if he stays healthy, and while losing Mike Gillislee is a bummer, backup running back isn’t something to be worried about. Someone will emerge, possibly Jonathan Williams or Cedric O’Neal. And at fullback, the Bills invested in Patrick DiMarco and Mike Tolbert, so if there’s such a thing in today’s NFL as solid 1-2 fullback duo, the Bills may have the best.
<aside itemprop="associatedMedia" itemscope="" itemtype="http://schema.org/ImageObject" class="wide single-photo">https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/09d89194869f763701196efe5b9cf3e0302ada5b/c=0-71-3033-2351&r=x408&c=540x405/local/-/media/2017/06/01/Rochester/Rochester/636319241176432005-JG-122416-Bills-7.jpgBuy PhotoIf he stays healthy, LeSean McCoy will again be the most important player on the Bills' offense. (Photo: Jamie Germano/@jgermano1/Staff Photographer)
</aside>
Now, the group I’m most concerned about is linebacker. Lorenzo Alexander is nothing more than a third-down pass rusher, Preston Brown is mediocre, and Reggie Ragland is essentially an unproven rookie coming off a serious knee injury. They just signed Gerald Hodges. OK, whatever. Ramon Humber? Plus, neither of the rookie draft picks figures to play much. Let’s hope Doug Whaley was right about Ragland when he drafted him in the second round in 2016.
Wide receiver is a problem area, too. Who knows how available Sammy Watkins will be, and for how long? Zay Jones is currently hurt, and rookies often struggle early on at this position. After those two, it’s a bunch of question marks with Andre Holmes, Philly Brown, Jeremy Butler, Dez Lewis, Kolby Listenbee (I’m still not sure this guy exists), and other lesser lights. It looks like more ground and pound for this offense.
<aside itemprop="associatedMedia" itemscope="" itemtype="http://schema.org/ImageObject" class="wide single-photo">https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/2362ead2ba8ddc2bd1f20d22611d2ba51b84ff38/c=88-0-2599-1888&r=x408&c=540x405/local/-/media/2017/06/01/Rochester/Rochester/636319242619129253-AP-17132598934662.jpgBuffalo Bills rookie cornerback Tre'Davious White will vie for a starting spot. (Photo: Jeffrey T. Barnes, AP)
</aside>
Lastly, cornerback is a little scary. Tre’Davious White is a rookie, and whether he’s a first-rounder or not, rookie corners have it tough. We thought Ronald Darby was good as a rookie, but he wasn’t very good last year. And if Kevon Seymour, Leonard Johnson, and Shareece Wright are battling to be the third guy on the field, that’s also a bit disconcerting. Stephon Gilmore often frustrated fans, but he’s a huge, huge loss for the Bills.
Taking my shots► LeSean McCoy is bringing his charity softball game back to Frontier Field on Sunday afternoon. Gates open at 1 p.m., the home run derby starts at 2, and the game will start around 3. New coach Sean McDermott is among the confirmed guests. Tickets for the event start as low as $10 and are available at www.redwingsbaseball.com or by calling 585-423-WING. Proceeds go to the LeSean McCoy Foundation to provide educational and resource programs to disadvantaged youth and to raise awareness and funds directly benefiting individuals and families battling Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/2017/06/02/buffalo-bills-roster-sean-mcdermott-lesean-mccoy/362659001/ (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/2017/06/02/buffalo-bills-roster-sean-mcdermott-lesean-mccoy/362659001/)

psubills62
06-03-2017, 11:13 PM
I'm concerned about LB, too. However, if our DL can perform up to expectations and can keep the LB's clean, we should be alright.

SpikedLemonade
06-04-2017, 05:11 AM
Strength on the Offensive Line?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

kscdogbillsfan1221
06-04-2017, 02:53 PM
Strength on the Offensive Line?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

look. i know they aren't the dallas o line and they are far from perfect and could definitely use some upgrades, but a 'horrible' o line would have the top ranked rushing attack in the nfl.
just saying.

Goobylal
06-04-2017, 03:07 PM
If they sign Maclin, and they're pushing hard to do so (with the help of his buddy Shady), WR will become a strength. Let's hope it happens.

SpikedLemonade
06-04-2017, 03:16 PM
look. i know they aren't the dallas o line and they are far from perfect and could definitely use some upgrades, but a 'horrible' o line would have the top ranked rushing attack in the nfl.
just saying.

It was all play calling and a lack of a QB who can see over his OL and their DL.

Cali512
06-04-2017, 05:33 PM
It was all play calling and a lack of a QB who can see over his OL and their DL.

So we have one of the best swing backups in the NFL, an elite left side, a center who is meh honestly, a progressing RG would has looked very good and a RT who from everything I've seen and read can be a top 50 OL in the NFL potentially

swiper
06-04-2017, 06:13 PM
So we have one of the best swing backups in the NFL, an elite left side, a center who is meh honestly, a progressing RG would has looked very good and a RT who from everything I've seen and read can be a top 50 OL in the NFL potentially

Top 50? For 32 teams? Elite left side?

SpikedLemonade
06-04-2017, 06:20 PM
(1) Our swing back up was available for a reason. We did NOT exactly steal him.

(2) I do NOT see our Left Tackle and Left Guard as being ELITE. Sorry. I will admit that I was wrong on Ritchie when we got him but how many years does he have left?

(3) Eric Woods is regressing. That we agree on.

(4) Our RG had a better rookie season than he had in his 2nd season. I suspect he may be in jeopardy of losing his position soon.

(5) So we are starting our 2nd round 2017 draft pick at RT? I am good with that. I wish we would draft our OL higher but I liked this pick with our 2nd second round draft pick.

In conclusion, I see question marks on our OL.

More importantly, I don't know what the offensive scheme will be nor who is going to be the starting QB.

Too early to determine what the Offensive Line will be asked to do once the season starts.

Cali512
06-04-2017, 06:41 PM
Top 50? For 32 teams? Elite left side?

I've been watching a lot of tape and the dudes a beast, also as a RT I do think he can be top 5-10 eventually

Spikey, I agree with everything you said. But I do think Richie, Glenn, and miller will be perfect for a west coast zone run offense. It will put them in more of a rhythm which is needed for an OL. Also this will be our 4th year with our left side the same, which can only pay off

YardRat
06-04-2017, 07:15 PM
Continuity = "strength".
New faces = "weakness".