PDA

View Full Version : Darryl Talley: McDermott reminds me of Marv Levy

Wally The Barber
06-03-2017, 06:02 PM
(http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/03/former-bills-lb-darryl-talley-says-sean-mcdermott-reminds-him-of-young-marv-levy/) By: Robert Quinn (http://billswire.usatoday.com/author/rob-quinn/) | 2 hours ago

When the Buffalo Bills hired new head coach Sean McDermott, one of the first things he did was sit down for a meal with some of the team’s all-time greats from the early 90’s including Jim Kelly, Andre Reed, Darryl Talley and Steve Tasker.
This move excited fans and former players, as the previous coaches hadn’t given much consideration to the thoughts of these legendary players that really made the team a powerhouse during their epic Super Bowl runs.
<aside class="related shortcode shortcode--related"> </aside>Talley appeared on The Buffalo News’ ‘The Tim Graham Show’ (http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/31/darryl-talley-explains-winners-wired-compares-sean-mcdermott-young-marv-levy/?utm_campaign=puma&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1496431117) to discuss the meeting with McDermott, offering his thoughts on the new coach and his opinion on the future of the team.
“It meant a lot to us to know that he wanted to know what we thought, you know, just the idea of sitting down and talking to him and getting a feel for the way he’s trying to go and progress, the process that he’s got,” Talley said.
He continued with an eye-opening comment, stating that McDermott being hired was the best thing to happen to the franchise since Marv Levy, the head coach of those storied teams that will be remembered forever in NFL history.

<aside class="related shortcode shortcode--related">

(http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/01/juan-castillo-loves-dion-dawkins-versatility-for-buffalo-bills/)</aside>“Honestly, I think he’s the best thing the Bills have gotten since Marv (Levy),” said Talley. “He reminds me of a young version of what Marv Levy would have been like. He’s very astute to what’s going on in and around him and I don’t think that he’s afraid to let somebody go out and play. Once the system is put in place and he wants to hold people accountable. So, with that being said, I think it bodes well for him because that’s what everybody needs – accountability.”
Talley was asked about former Bills coach Rex Ryan, who was well-known for being a ‘players coach’ that ‘let his guys run loose’ and what his opinion was on how a coach can find a way to hold players accountable while also letting the players be themselves.
“Winning starts with structure,” Talley said. “There’s got to be some structure there and that’s what I see him (McDermott) bringing is structure to it and structure and accountability are the two biggest things that I see him bringing. His idea to motivate people, you know motivate guys to play, I think he has to resort to what Marv did. He said ‘I don’t want to motivate players, I want motivated players.”
“You have to take responsibility for what you’re doing. Knowing your assignments, give everything you have, giving yourself an opportunity to play, doing everything in your power to put yourself in the best possible position and sometimes guys just don’t do that. Sometimes it takes someone to say, ‘look, this is what you have to do’ and I think that’s what you guys (the Bills) have gotten.”

These are some strong sentiments from Talley – one of the primary leaders of Buffalo’s storied teams and a player that many believe should be enshrined in the Hall of Fame.
He’s always been vocal and unfiltered when it comes to giving his thoughts on the team – whether tweeting during games or speaking with The Buffalo News. For him to be this optimistic about coach McDermott and the future of the team speaks volumes and it only echoes the views of just about every national pundit that’s covered the team’s front office makeover during the offseason.
McDermott is a first-time head coach and training camp still hasn’t even begun, but for the first time in years, there’s a glowing optimism that hasn’t been seen around One Bills Drive in quite some time.

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/03/former-bills-lb-darryl-talley-says-sean-mcdermott-reminds-him-of-young-marv-levy/ (http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/03/former-bills-lb-darryl-talley-says-sean-mcdermott-reminds-him-of-young-marv-levy/)

YardRat
06-03-2017, 07:35 PM
I hope Darryl is right. I'm looking forward to seeing how this works out, and am more optimistic than usual.

Historian
06-04-2017, 08:00 AM
I like Talley, I really do, but sometimes I wish the alumni would just STFU and stay in the background until alumni weekend.

These guys were all jacked over Ryan too, and look how that turned out.

They praised the hiring of Gregg Williams, touting him as the next boy genius.

They praised Chan Gailey, saying he got a raw deal in Dallas.

All busts.

I understand that many of these guys are now citizens here, but most of their rah-rah bull**** makes me feel that they're simply part of the team's marketing machine.

I like what I've heard from McD so far too, but it's WAY too early to compare him to anybody, much less Marv Levy.

Night Train
06-04-2017, 08:14 AM
I take it at face value and names making statements are hollow. No disrespect but the new coach is nothing like Levy, who depended heavily on his GM and asst. coaches, while making rousing speeches.

McDermott is the polar opposite and still a complete unknown on game day.

swiper
06-04-2017, 08:16 AM
McDermott is nothing like Levy.

mdcas22
06-04-2017, 09:40 AM
Levy was the polar opposite than McD is, Rex Ryan was closer to Levy than McD is.

Arm of Harm
06-04-2017, 08:53 PM
I take it at face value and names making statements are hollow. No disrespect but the new coach is nothing like Levy, who depended heavily on his GM and asst. coaches, while making rousing speeches.

McDermott is the polar opposite and still a complete unknown on game day.

I agree with your post, and would like to add to what you've written.

Prior to becoming a head coach, the vast majority of Marv's coaching experience was on special teams, not offense or defense. He wasn't in a position to micromanage the offense or the defense, because neither was his area of specialty. He relied on the people around him. He was greatly aided by the fact he got an outstanding offensive coordinator in the form of Ted Marchibroda, and a solid defensive coordinator in the form of Walt Corey.

He tried a similar approach as general manager. Instead of making all the decisions himself, he relied heavily on the people around him. The consensus approach and all that. Unfortunately for him and for the Bills, the people around him were not very good. Not Dick Jauron, not the Bills' scouting staff. Not anyone in the front office. His was very much a "sink or swim based on the people around you" approach. Much easier to swim when you're surrounded by guys like Marchibroda and Corey and Bill Polian, than when you're relying on the types of people we had in the Bills' front office during Marv's time as GM.

Whereas, a guy like McDermott seems to have his finger on the pulse of every part of the organization. He seems very compulsive. He's one to take personal responsibility to fix problems, should problems occur. And that specifically includes relieving incompetent employees of their duties. I'm not sure who the right coach is to compare McDermott to, or even if we need such a comparison.

Forward_Lateral
06-05-2017, 05:59 AM
What else is he supposed to say?

Bill Cody
06-05-2017, 03:13 PM
I like Talley, I really do, but sometimes I wish the alumni would just STFU and stay in the background until alumni weekend.

These guys were all jacked over Ryan too, and look how that turned out.

They praised the hiring of Gregg Williams, touting him as the next boy genius.

They praised Chan Gailey, saying he got a raw deal in Dallas.

All busts.

I understand that many of these guys are now citizens here, but most of their rah-rah bull**** makes me feel that they're simply part of the team's marketing machine.

I like what I've heard from McD so far too, but it's WAY too early to compare him to anybody, much less Marv Levy.

Nonsense it's not early at all. BTW, do you know how they make the busts for Canton? Are they hand carved using photos or would McDermott need to sit down as a model?