PDA

View Full Version : Who's left??

mchurchfie
07-19-2002, 10:15 AM
It appears that Sam Adams is headed to The Bungles and Josh Evans is gone, who else is left of any quality at DT/DE to try and sign? I say that if TD can't maybe sign that guy from the RAMS (sorry forgot his name) that we pull back and save our Cap money for next year.

JefftheBillsfan
07-19-2002, 10:18 AM
Ahonotu is the guy you were trying to think of probably

JefftheBillsfan
07-19-2002, 10:20 AM
I'm hoping the Jets cut one of their 3 DTs (Evens, Webster, Fergusen). They probably won't but you never know. Fergusen isn't a good fit in their defense IMO. Not a penetrator.

WG
07-19-2002, 10:21 AM
I hear ya church. I don't understand why we didn't make a move for Evans. Oh well. I guess we'll defer that those guys know what they're doing, eh! ;)

How mighty big of us...

:D

Buffarama
07-19-2002, 10:21 AM
Someone mentioned a couple of DL's that may yet get cut due to cap numbers, but I can't specifically recall who they are or where they're from.

bduff54
07-19-2002, 10:41 AM
d'marco farr is still outhere., he's the only one i cn think of left. hey who picked up michael sinclair? i know he's an end i was just wondering

SoCalBillsFan
07-19-2002, 11:19 AM
I'm GLAD we didn't pick up anyone else! I want to give the younger guys a chance to play. THis season is alll about growth, learning and player devlopment. We have a lot of talent on the DL that is raw and unproven. I think one of the many guys we have at that position is going to prove himself worthy of the spot. If we still need more help next year, THEN we can sign a FA. THis year is growth, next year is Super Bowl :).

WG
07-19-2002, 11:24 AM
Yeah, but we still need some depth on the DL. Even if two of our youth step up to the point where it alleviates our DL woes, which is both unlikely and not given, we still have no depth in the event of injuries which can be expected. Hopefully not bad ones, but it would be extremely fortunate to not have any injuries on our DL this season.

Next year we really won't be in a position to draft a DL-man minus a first-round pick and w/ precious little depth at DL reportedly in the draft. I don't know what our cap situation will be like, but that may very well determine what our DL looks like.

It would be a shame to have that be our weakness again next season too as the rest of the team gels for a SB run!

Dman
07-19-2002, 11:33 AM
Even though he was one of our own...Shawn Price is still out there..listed as an UFA...and depending on his recovery..he could add the needed depth to this team.
Just a thought..

MissBuffalo
07-19-2002, 11:35 AM
We definitely need d-line help. IMO we need an end, but I'll take any decent veteran. Does anyone know why it's hard to find stats for Chidi Ahanatu??? I was interested in his numbers from the past few seasons and I can't find them anywhere.

MissBuffalo
07-19-2002, 11:36 AM
I keep forgetting about him Dman.

SoCalBillsFan
07-19-2002, 11:39 AM
Wys I was thinkng if we need a DL next year to go that FA route, not the draft. Besides I am looking for a QB with our rd 2 pick that bledsoe can mentor, I know you'll love that idea right? :D

Bannan, Robertson, Edwards, Leif Larson, and of COurse Pat Williams at DT.

SHoebel, Flowers, Office, Denney, Fisher at DE. And I know theres a couple more im leaving out.

We havbe plenty of depth. I would love to see RObertson, Edwards, and Bannan all get time at DT next to big pat. So that's three guys for one spot. SHoebel wil have 1 end spot. Then there's flowers, Office and Denney sharing time at the other spot. And in case of dire emergency there is Fisher and leif larson. We have PLENTY of depth.

Is it quality depth? too early to tell, but likely not all those guys will be effective. is it super bowl contending depth? No, ill admit that right up front. But it gives a lot of players time to grow, time to learn, time for us to evaluate. It keeps everyone very fresh with all the rotation, which will help the DL a lot. GUys will be able to go 100 percent every play. We also wont be risking giving up on a guy too early only to see him go to another team and blossom. I think one or two of these kids can devlop into solid players, and this gives us to find out which ones. If we still need help next year, go to free agency. I really think this is the best way, and I like the fact that TD didn't bring anyone else in.

okay how am I wrong wys? :D

gonzo1105
07-19-2002, 12:35 PM
Let the young guys play

mchurchfie
07-19-2002, 07:00 PM
Hmm.. not so sure that I agree with some of you that think that this is the year to let the young guys play and grow, wasn't last year painful enough to watch? If we get run on to any degree of what we did last year then this team will not prosper from it in many ways. Sure, it is good for the defense to cut its teeth on but you will continually put the offense in a bad situation and could stunt their growth greatly. If a team runs on us and controls the clock 30-40 minutes of the game you are no. 1) going to continually have the O playing catchup so that they can never establish a run and develope an offensive identity (like last year) no. 2) squash out the morale and spirit of a still young and fragile team. There is nothing more demoralizing than to have a team run the ball down your throat. If this trend continues and the young studs aren't getting the job done then we need to do something in a hurry. Last year was the year of biting the bullet with the young defense. This year they need to step up or step out..the expectations need to go up another notch.

SoCalBillsFan
07-19-2002, 07:47 PM
churchie, I might agree if I thought our D was going to get run all over but I don't. Remember that Brandon Spoon and John Foreman were our linebackers last year? With Robinson and Flether that is a HUGE upgrade. I have full confidence in Pat Williams and Aaron Schoebel. THe secondary will be a lot better, LB's will be able to focus more on the run. This defense is 100 percent improved. I dont think with our current line we will get the ball rammed down our throats at all. THe young guys are also a year stronger and a year better, and with better LB's behind them too.

I dont think it's having the team "bite the bullet" to stick with unproved guys at 2 positions. I have confidence in the rest of our D. I dont think getting one more FA DL is the difference in our season. I dont think 1 FA pickup is the difference between having the ball rammed down our throats, the offense on its heels all the time, and the morale of the team in the dump as compared to a stellar d and great O. I think that is a stretch.

Dozerdog
07-19-2002, 08:09 PM
I say that we save some serious Cap $$ for the final cut down... we could make a few more shrewd moves

mchurchfie
07-19-2002, 08:11 PM
You make good and valid points SoCal, I wouldn't say that we are 100 % improved but we are in much better shape (on paper at the moment) this year than last. :up: