PDA

View Full Version : Go get Barnidge

JoeMama
06-12-2017, 04:08 PM
With the Maclin fiasco over with, let's get a 2 TE set going. Clay & Barnidge would be a nice combo even though they sound like a law firm.

Or would you rather have Decker?

YardRat
06-12-2017, 04:15 PM
Barnidge. I know what the stats say, but I don't want much to do with Decker.

SpikedLemonade
06-12-2017, 04:20 PM
Neither.

Novacane
06-12-2017, 06:27 PM
I don't see the point in another TE until Tyrod proves he's not afraid to use the middle of the field.

Night Train
06-12-2017, 06:38 PM
I doubt Decker at this point is a big upgrade over what we already have at WR.
( Holmes, Zay Jones, Philly Brown etc. )

Overpaid Clay has been basically ignored for long stretches the last 2 years. Getting another TE with a decent contract to be ignored makes little sense. TT can't find the middle of the field. Maybe our new OC can help but we'll see.

I just don't see any " we must have " player at this juncture. The roster will be tweaked at points due to injuries but it's a scheme watch from this point on.

Buddo
06-12-2017, 07:05 PM
Tbh, if Decker is cut, as expected, I would think he's well worth a look.

He's a good sized guy who knows how to use that size, and his production has been consistent when healthy.

He's also got a lot more experience than anyone else we have on the roster, at WR, and it's something that isn't to be sneezed at.

He's also not going to be inordinately expensive necessarily, either.

I'd say he would be a sizeable upgrade, over what we currently have, as what we currently have, is largely in the realms of 'potential', as opposed to 'proven'. (Watkins excepted, assuming he gets and stays healthy).

Decker has also proven himself with different teams, QBs and systems.

For sure, he isn't a 'must have' type, but I do think he could make the team better, and by enough to make a 4-5 million investment in, worthwhile.

Mace
06-12-2017, 09:32 PM
Tbh, if Decker is cut, as expected, I would think he's well worth a look.

He's a good sized guy who knows how to use that size, and his production has been consistent when healthy.

He's also got a lot more experience than anyone else we have on the roster, at WR, and it's something that isn't to be sneezed at.

He's also not going to be inordinately expensive necessarily, either.

I'd say he would be a sizeable upgrade, over what we currently have, as what we currently have, is largely in the realms of 'potential', as opposed to 'proven'. (Watkins excepted, assuming he gets and stays healthy).

Decker has also proven himself with different teams, QBs and systems.

For sure, he isn't a 'must have' type, but I do think he could make the team better, and by enough to make a 4-5 million investment in, worthwhile.

You can't figure we're gearing up to make a charge this year though, or have a passer to justify the expense, over rolling the money over toward when we can. Decker at this point is a vet situational piece for a contender imho, not a bandaid for a team a couple years away if it works right.

JoeMama
06-12-2017, 10:59 PM
Man I don't like this quitter attitude bull**** that just because TT sucks, we shouldn't try to improve our roster.

TT ain't gonna be the starter forever. Maybe our next QB can use the weapons TT can't.

Skooby
06-13-2017, 02:31 AM
Nathan will pass to him, bring him in.

Mr. Miyagi
06-13-2017, 12:28 PM
Nathan will pass to him, bring him in.
Is this the drum you're going to be beating all year? Because it's already getting tiresome. :ill:

Skooby
06-13-2017, 02:31 PM
Is this the drum you're going to be beating all year? Because it's already getting tiresome. :ill:

We are humdrum with Tyrod starting so it's time to move on, here's a list of all QB's total passing yards:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/passing.htm

HHURRICANE
06-14-2017, 07:46 AM

Overpaid Clay has been basically ignored for long stretches the last 2 years. Getting another TE with a decent contract to be ignored makes little sense. TT can't find the middle of the field. Maybe our new OC can help but we'll see.

I just don't see any " we must have " player at this juncture. The roster will be tweaked at points due to injuries but it's a scheme watch from this point on.

We have cap room and we are weak at WR...not sure how this isn't an upgrade?

JoeMama
06-14-2017, 08:32 AM

**** that. Clay is a talented TE. When TT actually throws to him, he's a monster.

Just because our QB sucks isn't a good reason to stop acquiring talent at WR/TE.

If anything, it you acquire more talent there, so the next guy who steps in when TT is inevitably benched can take advantage of the weapons TT habitually ignores.

Some part of you must know that the best way to make a bad team good again, is NOT to quit trying to improve the roster, right???

justasportsfan
06-14-2017, 09:30 AM
**** that. Clay is a talented TE. When TT actually throws to him, he's a monster.

Just because our QB sucks isn't a good reason to stop acquiring talent at WR/TE.

If anything, it you acquire more talent there, so the next guy who steps in when TT is inevitably benched can take advantage of the weapons TT habitually ignores.

Some part of you must know that the best way to make a bad team good again, is NOT to quit trying to improve the roster, right???

It should be interesting to see if TT can improve under a different OC and HC. Rex's stupidity has given TT the benefit of the doubt that coaching set him up to fail.

JoeMama
06-14-2017, 09:34 AM
It should be interesting to see if TT can improve under a different OC and HC. Rex's stupidity has given TT the benefit of the doubt that coaching set him up to fail.

I'm willing to leave the door cracked for that possibility.

The odds don't favor it but hey, weirder things have happened.

And If/when TT sucks, we can cut him loose and use our 2 first round draft picks next year to secure our QB of the future. 2018 will be a good year for it.

Which is why I say stockpile talent at WR/TE now so he steps into a good situation.

justasportsfan
06-14-2017, 09:52 AM
I'm willing to leave the door cracked for that possibility.

The odds don't favor it but hey, weirder things have happened.

And If/when TT sucks, we can cut him loose and use our 2 first round draft picks next year to secure our QB of the future. 2018 will be a good year for it.

Which is why I say stockpile talent at WR/TE now so he steps into a good situation.

I agree. I don't know if it's a coaches problem that the QB can't see open players or if a QB can be taught to see the field better. Greg Roman wasn't exactly known to be a proven Qb passing coach and neither was Lynch. Both were run game coaches.

Another thing that frustrated me about TT is that he wasn't willing to throw to tight spots . It seems to me that Rex's qb were never known to take chances in tight spots which makes me wonder if TT was told not to throw unless a player is completely open. He was a one trick pony in the passing game like Losman was. Throw deep and let the receiver get it.

kgun12
06-14-2017, 04:06 PM
Here's one fan that hopes TT has great year and leads us to the playoff so we don't have to wait until next years draft our "next" QB wait three years for him to learn how to play the position, which will cause this coaching staff to get fired, bring in the new staff draft players that fit the new scheme, which ******s the new QB's progress and on and on.

How about this instead, we make the playoffs, draft a QB to learn under TT and our coaching staff that is been here for more than two years and we create a winning and successful franchise?!!!

Oh wait probably WAY TOO positive for you guys, no! :bighug:

swiper
07-19-2017, 02:29 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/19/report-gary-barnidge-to-visit-jaguars/