PDA

View Full Version : Mike Gillislee: New England Patriots work harder than Buffalo Bills

daryls61
06-13-2017, 12:33 PM
Well, how about that??

Running back Mike Gillislee is new to the New England Patriots, but has already noticed a big difference between his new team and old team.

Mike Gillislee is the latest former Buffalo Bills player to join the New England Patriots (http://chowderandchampions.com/new-england-patriots/). The running back joined the team after he was signed to an offer sheet (http://chowderandchampions.com/2017/04/18/new-england-patriots-extend-offer-sheet-bills-running-back-mike-gillislee/) by the defending Super Bowl champions, which was not matched by the Bills.
Like wide receiver Chris Hogan (http://chowderandchampions.com/2017/01/18/new-england-patriots-wr-chris-hogan-found-bradys-circle-trust/), who was signed in a similar way in 2016, Gillislee hopes to produce in a major way. So far, he is already seeing why the Patriots have been so successful over the last two decades. The level of hard work the team puts in is something he noted as a huge difference between the two AFC East rivals.

https://chowderandchampions.com/2017/06/13/mike-gillislee-new-england-patriots-work-harder-than-buffalo-bills/

streetkings01
06-13-2017, 12:43 PM
Camp Ryan was never known for it's hard disciplined practices.

feldspar
06-13-2017, 12:47 PM

Exactly.

Ryan.

justasportsfan
06-13-2017, 01:20 PM
Ryan is not known for discipline, period. No one is held accountable.

Zero
06-13-2017, 01:36 PM
Well, how about that??

https://chowderandchampions.com/2017/06/13/mike-gillislee-new-england-patriots-work-harder-than-buffalo-bills/

Oh wow, that was unexpected. And here I was chalking up their constant success to league favoritism, Belichick/Brady magic or just cheating. Who knew??

kscdogbillsfan1221
06-13-2017, 01:39 PM

Camp Ryan? I figure it was more like club ryan

Thurmal
06-13-2017, 03:11 PM
Look, he loves his new surroundings b/c he's on a much better team and is making much more money. I don't blame him. But he hasn't even been to a real practice yet, so I'll disregard the whole "the Bills are lazy" nonsense. How hard a team works in training camp is overrated anyway. Summers were a breeze for the Bills during the Levy years and taskmasters live Greg Schiano and Nick Saban washed out of the league after like two years.

streetkings01
06-13-2017, 03:16 PM
Look, he loves his new surroundings b/c he's on a much better team and is making much more money. I don't blame him. But he hasn't even been to a real practice yet, so I'll disregard the whole "the Bills are lazy" nonsense. How hard a team works in training camp is overrated anyway. Summers were a breeze for the Bills during the Levy years and taskmasters live Greg Schiano and Nick Saban washed out of the league after like two years.I remember when this team won the offseason last year.

JoeMama
06-13-2017, 03:32 PM
Seven hells. He's going to be good in New England. Hogan 2.0.

Night Train
06-13-2017, 03:58 PM
A role player gives a quote. React !

McCoy, he is not. Best of luck to him but he will not be a front line player in Pats land.

chris66
06-13-2017, 04:50 PM
Pats dont have a no 1 in any skill position other than qb. Thats what makes them so effective. You never really know who to game plan for.

Surprised more teams havent figured that out.
All a number 1 does is tell the other team who to gameplan for.

JoeMama
06-13-2017, 04:53 PM
A role player gives a quote. React !

McCoy, he is not. Best of luck to him but he will not be a front line player in Pats land.

Gillislee can be their grinder. Lewis & White are primarily receiving RBs out of the flat. I also think he'll be featured in red zone situations.

He'll be a contributor, you can be sure of that.

SpikedLemonade
06-13-2017, 05:21 PM
"Surprise Surprise Surprise...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TnkJ8_BmSI

jamze132
06-13-2017, 07:30 PM
I think there were 30 other teams that worked hard than Ryan's teams have the past two years.

BillsFanCupp38
06-13-2017, 07:40 PM
I don't doubt this at all. There's a reason New England has won 5 Superbowls in 17 years and Buffalo can't even make the playoffs in 17 years. Fixing to be 18 years. The proof is in the pudding.

stuckincincy
06-13-2017, 08:11 PM
Gillislee can be their grinder. Lewis & White are primarily receiving RBs out of the flat. I also think he'll be featured in red zone situations.

He'll be a contributor, you can be sure of that.

CIN let Rex Burkhead walk to NE. He will be a contributor, also.

JoeMama
06-13-2017, 08:29 PM
CIN let Rex Burkhead walk to NE. He will be a contributor, also.

Yeah I know, and IIRC he also led all their RBs in ypc.

No doubt Belichick gets the most out of him.

TigerJ
06-13-2017, 08:36 PM
Methinks the McDermott led Bills are working a lot harder than the Ryan led Bills.

SpikedLemonade
06-13-2017, 08:44 PM
Methinks the McDermott led Bills are working a lot harder than the Ryan led Bills.

Could a team try any less than last year's team?

The Ryans needed to end each practice (that was not a scheduled night practice) by 3:00 PM to ensure they got their favourite restaurant tables.

Goobylal
06-13-2017, 08:57 PM
They're sure paying a lot of money for backup RB's.

swiper
06-14-2017, 04:06 AM

And they have like 9 RBs on their roster. So he'll likely fight for playing time.

chris66
06-14-2017, 05:53 AM
Pats dont look at it that way. Pats realized during the 09 season that if you dont have a strong middle class your not going very far.
NE would rather have 3good rbs at 3 million than 1 great at 9. Injuries happen in this league

YardRat
06-14-2017, 05:59 AM
My wife's grandmother's shuffleboard squad at the south county assisted living facility worked harder than Wrecks' teams.

SpikedLemonade
06-14-2017, 06:25 AM
My wife's grandmother's shuffleboard squad at the south county assisted living facility worked harder than Wrecks' teams.

Sure but they won the annual over 75 shuffleboard tournament when Margaret made that double hit in the 9th end.

kishoph
06-14-2017, 06:34 AM

That's what I thought also, between Gillislee and Burkhead, it's around a $8 million cap hit. Any other team you'd think they were crazy, but it's hard to say that about the Pats, they've been pretty successful with what they do.

Goobylal
06-14-2017, 10:50 AM
Pats dont look at it that way. Pats realized during the 09 season that if you dont have a strong middle class your not going very far.
NE would rather have 3good rbs at 3 million than 1 great at 9. Injuries happen in this league

Yeah but none of them have been full-time starters.

Goobylal
06-14-2017, 10:51 AM
That's what I thought also, between Gillislee and Burkhead, it's around a $8 million cap hit. Any other team you'd think they were crazy, but it's hard to say that about the Pats, they've been pretty successful with what they do.

It was more a statement about how people were complaining about the Bills paying Shady so much money, when the Cheaters are paying 4 RB's more than the Bills are paying all their RB's.

Bill Cody
06-14-2017, 12:03 PM
Look, he loves his new surroundings b/c he's on a much better team and is making much more money. I don't blame him. But he hasn't even been to a real practice yet, so I'll disregard the whole "the Bills are lazy" nonsense. How hard a team works in training camp is overrated anyway. Summers were a breeze for the Bills during the Levy years and taskmasters live Greg Schiano and Nick Saban washed out of the league after like two years.

Except it's not nonsense at least not under Ryan. Rex's approach doesn't work. Sure there's grades of hard ass and I'm sure too much is bad but SO IS TOO LITTLE. Rex's teams were always jumping offside, called for motion, not getting off the field, all symptoms of a soft undisciplined team. I expect the team to work harder this year, they almost have to. And it's more fun to watch a team that doesn't constantly beat itself even if the team in the end isn't that good, no? Maybe Gillslee is jumping to some conclusions but if you come from the circus and you notice in the next town the Big Top is down maybe you don't need a lot more than that to think things are different. And of course he may have spoken to Hogan.

Joe Fo Sho
06-14-2017, 12:44 PM
How come we all of the sudden have like $11 million in cap space right now? What happened?

I was completely against matching Gillislee's offer because I didn't think we could afford it. Didn't we have like $9MM available plus all of our rookies still to sign?

Are my numbers wrong?

The King
06-14-2017, 12:55 PM
If McDermott works 50% as hard on film as he does in the gym, I wont be the least bit worried.

If Rex worked as hard at anything as he did with the media then he would have a coaching job, a chin and he'd be able to see his penis.

chris66
06-14-2017, 02:15 PM
Yeah but none of them have been full-time starters.

None of them will be fulltime starters in ne either. Rb by committee, its neen that way for years.

Goobylal
06-14-2017, 02:51 PM
None of them will be fulltime starters in ne either. Rb by committee, its neen that way for years.

It will have to be. And Blount was the starter last year.

chris66
06-14-2017, 03:19 PM
It will have to be. And Blount was the starter last year.

They didnt have much choice. Lewis didnt come back till week 10. Lewis started 5 games.

Joe Fo Sho
06-14-2017, 03:44 PM
They didnt have much choice. Lewis didnt come back till week 10. Lewis started 5 games.

Blount was #2 in the NFL in rushing attempts, he was the starter.

Novacane
06-14-2017, 04:05 PM
Wrong Mike. They win because of Brady and BB. Ryan was a joke though. No disagreement there!

Goobylal
06-14-2017, 04:07 PM

Lewis is not a starting RB. He can't take the pounding. And in those 5 starts, Blount had more carries in every game but one, where he had 1 less.

- - - Updated - - -

Wrong Mike. They win because of Brady and BB. Ryan was a joke though. No disagreement there!

Yup. The RB isn't critical there. Again my post was more about how they spend more on RB's than do the Bills, when people try to say that you shouldn't spend on RB's because the running game is passe.

Historian
06-15-2017, 06:36 AM
Ryan years aside, I think that anyone saying the Bills "don't work hard" is silly.

This is the NFL. It is the business of very large men colliding. You have to work hard.

The question is what they were working hard at.

If it's Gregg Williams and his blow horn, making Sam Coward "play where I tell him to play" I think that's the wrong approach.

If it's Mularkey practicing gadget plays, I think that's the wrong approach.

If it's Jauron....well you get the picture.

I think you build your team from the lines out, and make sure your O line is as consistent as possible.

The Bills haven't done this since Phillips....maybe Levy.

So I don't buy that they haven't worked hard. I think they have worked hard at the wrong things.

Let's hope this Coach is different. He seems to be his own man, ignoring what the media, the marketing forces, et al have to say. (so far)

Bill Cody
06-15-2017, 11:50 AM
Ryan years aside, I think that anyone saying the Bills "don't work hard" is silly.

This thread title is about Mike Gillislee's comment. He only played for Ryan. So why would we leave the Ryan years aside? Pretty sure Gillislee wasn't talking about a long term comparison, just what he saw.

swiper
06-15-2017, 12:21 PM
This thread title is about Mike Gillislee's comment. He only played for Ryan. So why would we leave the Ryan years aside? Pretty sure Gillislee wasn't talking about a long term comparison, just what he saw.

Then the larger question should be why the think-tank AKA OBD didn't see that too? Ryan carried on this way openly for 6 years as the Jet head coach. Woody Johnson openly loved Rex and still had to fire him because of his oafish style.

SpikedLemonade
06-15-2017, 12:27 PM
Then the larger question should be why the think-tank AKA OBD didn't see that too? Ryan carried on this way openly for 6 years as the Jet head coach. Woody Johnson openly loved Rex and still had to fire him because of his oafish style.

Didn't the DP hire Ryan himself?

Joe Fo Sho
06-15-2017, 12:32 PM
Didn't the DP hire Ryan himself?

I was told that was Brandon's decision.

Arm of Harm
06-15-2017, 03:17 PM
I was told that was Brandon's decision.

Terry Pegula said the following (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Complete-transcript-Rex-Ryans-introduction/56e897fd-f22f-4376-9489-7e84a5b4f0c1)

We just felt that [Rex] was our guy and trust me, we had some pretty impressive people that we felt could the Bills coach, but we said, “Hey, let’s go after Rex.” Russ told me, “Don’t let him out of the building.”

Joe Fo Sho
06-15-2017, 03:26 PM
Terry Pegula said the following (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Complete-transcript-Rex-Ryans-introduction/56e897fd-f22f-4376-9489-7e84a5b4f0c1)

We just felt that [Rex] was our guy and trust me, we had some pretty impressive people that we felt could the Bills coach, but we said, “Hey, let’s go after Rex.” Russ told me, “Don’t let him out of the building.”

Sounds like a group decision, where responsibility is put on the shoulders of the person in charge.

Arm of Harm
06-15-2017, 04:43 PM
Sounds like a group decision, where responsibility is put on the shoulders of the person in charge.
My sense is that Terry Pegula was the one who made the final call, but that he did so only after weighing and considering the advice he'd been given. Hopefully Pegula has learned his lesson, and now knows not to ask Brandon for advice on any football-related matter.

SpikedLemonade
06-15-2017, 04:53 PM
My sense is that Terry Pegula was the one who made the final call, but that he did so only after weighing and considering the advice he'd been given. Hopefully Pegula has learned his lesson, and now knows not to ask Brandon for advice on any football-related matter.

Let's hope so.