PDA

View Full Version : Sammy is playing real healthy, this contract year will be his best

Skooby
06-13-2017, 02:51 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/13/bills-bump-sammy-watkins-up-to-team-drills/#comment-5678658

Night Train
06-13-2017, 05:50 PM
I had chicken for dinner.

JoeMama
06-13-2017, 05:55 PM
My cat's breath smells like cat food.

jamze132
06-13-2017, 07:27 PM
My water feature for my pool is supposed to be installed tomorrow...

SpikedLemonade
06-13-2017, 08:46 PM
We should let Sammy return punts and kick-offs.

Skooby
06-13-2017, 10:12 PM
Sammy will play every game for that big contract, the first poster on PFT is a brilliant genius who is beyond reproach.

OpIv37
06-13-2017, 11:23 PM
Sammy will play every game for that big contract, the first poster on PFT is a brilliant genius who is beyond reproach.
Contract year players are a very real thing and it has ****ed Buffalo teams before, and it will **** them again. But saying that Watkins will be healthy cuz it's a contact year is just dumb.

The Toe Show
06-14-2017, 12:27 AM
Watkins is going to tear it up and then sign with Seattle.

stuckincincy
06-14-2017, 02:25 AM
Contract year players are a very real thing and it has ****ed Buffalo teams before, and it will **** them again. But saying that Watkins will be healthy cuz it's a contact year is just dumb.

Carl Yastrzemski was the poster child of pumping it up for more $$$.

It's out in the open these days- The Cinti Reds commentators are referring to this or that player as being in his "walk year."

Skooby
06-14-2017, 05:26 AM
Watkins is going to tear it up and then sign with Seattle.
Toe show is over, time to upgrade.

OpIv37
06-14-2017, 09:04 PM
Carl Yastrzemski was the poster child of pumping it up for more $$$.

It's out in the open these days- The Cinti Reds commentators are referring to this or that player as being in his "walk year."

I don't disagree, but this nonsense that Sammy will miraculously stay healthy because it's his contract year is just absurd. Either he'll be healthy or he won't but his body doesn't know the difference.

Skooby
06-14-2017, 09:07 PM
I don't disagree, but this nonsense that Sammy will miraculously stay healthy because it's his contract year is just absurd. Either he'll be healthy or he won't but his body doesn't know the difference.
Sammy missed what looked like an assured major payday on his rookie deal, the option year was waved. That's a huge slap in the face for him, so it's time to step up and take care of his little girl.

feldspar
06-17-2017, 12:46 PM
Sammy is completely rich next year no matter what...unless he has some sort of career-ending injury in the meantime.

BillsImpossible
06-17-2017, 06:07 PM
If Sammy Watkins is healthy in 2017, Tyrod Taylor will pass for almost 4,000 yards and both players get big contracts in return for the Bills first playoff game since 1999.

Cha ching $

Big money.

Tyrod says to Sammy, "You been eating your raw protein and greens?"

Sammy says, "Yeh, and my wife ain't happy about it if you know what I mean...that organic spinach, kale, broccoli and alfalfa grass is crazy."

Joe Fo Sho
06-19-2017, 08:12 AM

He might be more willing to play through those hangnails this year, though.

Skooby
06-19-2017, 11:38 AM
He might be more willing to play through those hangnails this year, though.
That's my entire point, he will suck it up and pretend like nothing is wrong to do anything to stay on the field. Stat padding for the biggest contract in his life, that's his goal. I can't blame him but he really needs to figure it out health wise, he's been a walking IR Guy with his bad feet.

Joe Fo Sho
06-19-2017, 11:45 AM
That's my entire point, he will suck it up and pretend like nothing is wrong to do anything to stay on the field. Stat padding for the biggest contract in his life, that's his goal. I can't blame him but he really needs to figure it out health wise, he's been a walking IR Guy with his bad feet.

Barring an outstanding year with him and Tyrod, I'm fine with letting him walk after this year. He's worth more to other teams than he is to us right now.

If Sammy Watkins is healthy in 2017, Tyrod Taylor will pass for almost 4,000 yards and both players get big contracts in return for the Bills first playoff game since 1999.

Man, even in your best case scenario with a healthy Watkins, Tyrod STILL can't crack 4,000 yards. I'm super excited to watch him this year.

DraftBoy
06-19-2017, 11:47 AM

He's played 77% of the Bills games in his first three years, calling him a walking IR is a bit hyperbolic.

Joe Fo Sho
06-19-2017, 12:03 PM
He's played 77% of the Bills games in his first three years, calling him a walking IR is a bit hyperbolic.

Sammy gets a bad rap for being injured because he's constantly on the injury report, but I wonder how many of the games that he started did he actually finish?

His injury history isn't as important to me as his 4.1 catches per game started. That's very replaceable.

Skooby
06-19-2017, 01:20 PM
Sammy gets a bad rap for being injured because he's constantly on the injury report, but I wonder how many of the games that he started did he actually finish?

His injury history isn't as important to me as his 4.1 catches per game started. That's very replaceable.

Minimal yardage for maximum money, just what we don't need.

DraftBoy
06-19-2017, 01:36 PM
Minimal yardage for maximum money, just what we don't need.

4.1 is the catches per game, not yards. His YPC is 16.1 for his career.

Watkins is #35 on the WR salary charts, his new deal probably puts him around $9-10 million a year which is still around 15th in the NFL.

Luisito23
06-19-2017, 01:40 PM
He'll stay healthy and have a good season...Get paid, and go back to his ***** ass ways...

Been there...done that...

Let someone else fall for his S***.

Joe Fo Sho
06-19-2017, 02:01 PM
4.1 is the catches per game, not yards. His YPC is 16.1 for his career.

Watkins is #35 on the WR salary charts, his new deal probably puts him around $9-10 million a year which is still around 15th in the NFL.

Get him a quarterback and he'd be worth the risk at $9MM per season. I think he's going to get $11-12MM, though. Even at $9MM, I'd pass on him if we're going to stick with Tyrod.

Skooby
06-19-2017, 02:41 PM
He'll stay healthy and have a good season...Get paid, and go back to his ***** ass ways...

Been there...done that...

Let someone else fall for his S***.
That's exactly what I think, he will play through everything and then bring back his entitled way. I like the guy himself but he's made of glass, every little thing is huge problem. I'd pass but not to him, we need healthy players.

DraftBoy
06-19-2017, 02:58 PM
Get him a quarterback and he'd be worth the risk at $9MM per season. I think he's going to get $11-12MM, though. Even at $9MM, I'd pass on him if we're going to stick with Tyrod.

That seems a bit short sighted.

Joe Fo Sho
06-19-2017, 03:15 PM

Cool.

Skooby
06-19-2017, 03:31 PM
You know what's really short-sighted, throwing 2-first picks at a WR with no franchise QB. Julio Jones looked like a dumb move until you watch Matty Ice throw him the ball, then it makes sense. You can't overpay for a position you can't compliment with a necessary main-ball player. Like having a great RB with a terrible O-line, he can't run because they can't block. Sammy can't catch because he's either hurt or our lack of QB consistency, pick your poison but don't overpay.

sukie
06-20-2017, 01:20 PM
Sammy is completely rich next year no matter what...unless he has some sort of career-ending injury in the meantime.

Not sure about this...A guy that plays 8 games a year and NOT in a row... doesn't ring the cash register to me.

feldspar
06-20-2017, 03:49 PM
Not sure about this...A guy that plays 8 games a year and NOT in a row... doesn't ring the cash register to me.

The guy hurt his foot, and they brought him back too soon, which exacerbated it...extended it into 2 seasons.

Other than that, he's been dinged up a bit, but mostly played through it.

The guy just turned 24 this week, and I guarantee you he will see big money in 2018.

Arm of Harm
06-20-2017, 07:41 PM

A lot of Watkins' issues have not been his fault. He's good at getting open, and good at catching the ball when it's thrown to him. The fact his production has been solid but not outstanding has a lot more to do with this team's issues at QB, than with anything for which Watkins is to blame.

Like any WR, Watkins is worth much more to a team with a real QB than to a team that's struggling at the position. Tyrod's best attribute is his legs, not his ability to read the field or see when targets have come open. There have been plenty of times when Watkins was open, that Tyrod didn't see him.

If we're not planning on upgrading the QB position, it would be foolish to spend big bucks on Watkins or any other WR. Better to use the salary cap space elsewhere, on players whose production won't be impacted by mediocre QB play.

JoeMama
06-22-2017, 06:58 AM

This has always been my take as well.

Had we drafted Beckham or Evans, they'd be the ones considered busts right now. And Bills fans would be up in arms demanding "Why didn't we draft Watkins???"

We don't have a QB. Does anyone seriously believe Beckham (Manning @ QB) or Evans (Winston @ QB) would be the stars they are today had Buffalo drafted them?

**** no.

Guess which QBs have started in Buffalo since Watson arrived?

Manuel (17)
Lewis (5)
Tuel (1)
Orton (12)
Taylor (29)

And ultimately the biggest setback of Sammy's career was Rex rushing him back from an injury last year.

Joe Fo Sho
06-22-2017, 07:15 AM
This has always been my take as well.

Had we drafted Beckham or Evans, they'd be the ones considered busts right now. And Bills fans would be up in arms demanding "Why didn't we draft Watkins???"

We don't have a QB. Does anyone seriously believe Beckham (Manning @ QB) or Evans (Winston @ QB) would be the stars they are today had Buffalo drafted them?

**** no.

Yup. I'm not trying to take a dig at Sammy, I really like him. I just don't like that it doesn't make sense for us to keep him, and I hate the trade that we made to get him.

My oversimplified strategy to build a team would be to invest in QB, Defense, and O-Line until you find the right QB. Then get him the toys around him and pay to keep the core together. With the right QB and offensive gameplan, cheap investments at the skill positions can go a long way. It's the NFL for corn's sake, there's a ton of guys that can run fast and catch a football for a reasonable price. Right now, we need a guy that can catch 60 passes per season, as that's where Tyrod's been maxing out. Do we really need to pay $10MM a season for someone to do that?

JoeMama
06-22-2017, 07:28 AM
Yup. I'm not trying to take a dig at Sammy, I really like him. I just don't like that it doesn't make sense for us to keep him, and I hate the trade that we made to get him.

My oversimplified strategy to build a team would be to invest in QB, Defense, and O-Line until you find the right QB. Then get him the toys around him and pay to keep the core together. With the right QB and offensive gameplan, cheap investments at the skill positions can go a long way. It's the NFL for corn's sake, there's a ton of guys that can run fast and catch a football for a reasonable price. Right now, we need a guy that can catch 60 passes per season, as that's where Tyrod's been maxing out. Do we really need to pay $10MM a season for someone to do that?

True, I get that line of thinking.

My only objection is, if - and this is a big if - Sammy can stay healthy, I'd eat the 9-10M a season so that the next QB already has his receiving options in place.

Depending where we finish this season and where KC finishes, we might have a realistic stab at Darnold, Allen, or Rosen.

Why not have the pieces already in place for 2018?

That's how I'd roll.

Joe Fo Sho
06-22-2017, 10:12 AM
True, I get that line of thinking.

My only objection is, if - and this is a big if - Sammy can stay healthy, I'd eat the 9-10M a season so that the next QB already has his receiving options in place.

Depending where we finish this season and where KC finishes, we might have a realistic stab at Darnold, Allen, or Rosen.

Why not have the pieces already in place for 2018?

That's how I'd roll.

You could do that, there's clearly no magical formula. It's going to be a case by case basis anyway. With your way if the QB doesn't pan out in 2018, you're stuck with a WR on your roster for 4 years making $10MM per season and being underutilized severely. Either direction is going to be screwed anyway without a QB. I just think there's more value in spending on positions that don't rely so much on other positions for success, at least until after the relied upon positions are proven.

Don't invest in RB if your O-line is dog s***....and don't invest in WR if your QB is dog s*** wrapped in cat s***. I think Shady is overpaid, and I don't want to pay Sammy, but I really enjoy watching them play (when they do).

I say 'don't invest,' but what I mean is minimal investment. Don't just go down to Walmart and sign the greeter because he can catch a roll of toilet paper.

Bill Cody
06-22-2017, 11:39 AM
Don't just go down to Walmart and sign the greeter because he can catch a roll of toilet paper.

Maybe if Vince McMahon comes back with the SNL (Senior Football League) you might have an idea there.

How would you know anyway? Are you chucking rolls in the front of Walmart or are you just taking the old guy's word for it? "Back in the day Sonny I could catch a roll in each hand from 40 yards while sprinting to the outhouse in the back yard"

Joe Fo Sho
06-22-2017, 12:29 PM
Maybe if Vince McMahon comes back with the SNL (Senior Football League) you might have an idea there.

How would you know anyway? Are you chucking rolls in the front of Walmart or are you just taking the old guy's word for it? "Back in the day Sonny I could catch a roll in each hand from 40 yards while sprinting to the outhouse in the back yard"

I throw a roll of toilet paper at every Walmart greeter that I see. Someone's gotta do the scouting for this team.

Bill Cody
06-22-2017, 02:36 PM
I throw a roll of toilet paper at every Walmart greeter that I see. Someone's gotta do the scouting for this team.

better than the Jet retreads Rex was bringing in

yordad
06-23-2017, 09:39 AM
Right. Let's just field no wrs.

Joe Fo Sho
06-23-2017, 09:52 AM
Right. Let's just field no wrs.

Yes, that's the only other option we have.