PDA

View Full Version : Better Most Recent Coaching Hire -- Sabres or Bills?

SpikedLemonade
06-15-2017, 07:13 PM
With the Sabres hire of Phil Housley today, who do you think made the better coaching hire?

POTLAND PSILBYLO
06-15-2017, 07:56 PM
Went with sabres cuz it's recenter

SpikedLemonade
06-15-2017, 08:00 PM
Went with sabres cuz it's recenter

Perhaps but the Bills just hired their head coach earlier this year.

Novacane
06-15-2017, 08:49 PM
I like both hires so I'll have to tell you in a year.

Mace
06-15-2017, 09:51 PM
Well, I feel good about both sets of hires, like they actually went with solid progressive hires instead of reaching for reputation built on dubious past successes.

No disrespect to the Sabres, love it, but I voted Bills. It's the nature of hockey to take longer with cycles, I feel like I'll see faster results on the field with the Bills even if it's just less drama, less stupid penalties and adequate amounts of players on the field. Less aggravation right at the start = a more instant gratification. To me at least, the Bills have a way lower bar for what I'd consider achievement, and the Sabres seem closer to success. If McDermott & Housley both end up just being simply competent, you'll notice it way more with McDermott & the Bills, imho.

swiper
06-16-2017, 04:20 AM
On the surface, I think the Bills hire is better. But we've had a few weeks to see McDermott carry on his business. So this is really an unfair question at this point. At least for Housley.

Skooby
06-16-2017, 05:16 AM
Sabres because Phil is home.

YardRat
06-16-2017, 06:10 AM
Whoever gets to the playoffs first.

I like 'em both, it's a nice feeling to be a little bit excited about Buffalo sports again after the last several seasons.

kishoph
06-16-2017, 06:45 AM
Whoever gets to the playoffs first.

I like 'em both, it's a nice feeling to be a little bit excited about Buffalo sports again after the last several seasons.

I agree, last season was the least interested or emotional I've been in over 40 years for both franchises. The reason for both was the coaches, both teams have had coaches I didn't really care for in the past, but I despised the hiring of Bylsma and especially Ryan from the start. In a way it was a blessing not being so emotionally tied to the 2 teams, it relieved a lot of stress. But I am ready to start yelling, *****ing and throwing things when they mess up, instead of just shaking my head in disgust.
GO BILLS
GO SABRES

TigerJ
06-16-2017, 08:02 AM
Housley is obviously the sentimental favorite, but at this point we know less about his approach to coaching. All we really know about Housley is he's been a part of a team that appears to have been building a winner the right way, and he has an innovative mind for offense from the perspective of an NHL defensemen. We've already seen McDermott's careful, methodical approach to staff building and his apparent ability to instill more dedication and passion in the team. All I'm willing to say at this point is I like what McDermott has done and Housley has some qualifications to suggest he could be a good and innovative head coach.

Skooby
06-16-2017, 08:23 AM
TBD.

Jan Reimers
06-16-2017, 10:16 AM
Even/Steven; Tie; Draw; Dead Heat; Too Close to Call; Toss Up.

feldspar
06-16-2017, 12:50 PM
Impossible to say, since neither one has ever been a head coach in the pros before.

We'll see, but right now I like them both.

Both great guys to root for.