PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Offensive Bills players of all time

Forward_Lateral
06-19-2017, 12:28 PM
They are revealing the list tonight on Buffalo Bills website (I think?)

Here are my top 10, in no particular order:

Jim Kelly
Andre Reed
Eric Moulds
Thurm
Juice
Fred Jackson
Cookie
Cribbs
Ferguson
Drew Bledsoe

That's my prediction. Some will say Kemp, but I can't put a guy with a career completion % under 50 on the list.

Bledsoe is debatable. I could see them putting Flutie on the list instead. Or someone else.

What do you hombres think

Dr. Lecter
06-19-2017, 12:30 PM
No Kent Hull? Billy Shaw? Will Wolford?

Forward_Lateral
06-19-2017, 12:34 PM
I guess I didn't consider lineman. Shoot. I was only thinking about skilled players.

My list is poop. Take off Bledsoe and Ferguson. Not sure who else that could be removed though.

Mr. Pink
06-19-2017, 02:14 PM
Kelly
OJ
Thurman
Reed
Joe D
Hull
Kemp
Cookie
Cribbs
Shaw

Top snub - Elbert Dubenion

Forward_Lateral
06-19-2017, 02:54 PM
Kelly
OJ
Thurman
Reed
Joe D
Hull
Kemp
Cookie
Cribbs
Shaw

No Moulds?

Night Train
06-19-2017, 03:47 PM

They don't have Madden slots.

Night Train
06-19-2017, 04:05 PM
Preston Ridlehuber
Warren Rabb
Speedy Neal
Byron Franklin
Bill Earthquake Enyart
Mike Williams
James Hardy
Tony Hunter
Roscoe Parrish
Avion Black

Dr. Lecter
06-19-2017, 04:50 PM
You're selling Eric Richardson, Gene Bradley and Ruben Gant short, imo

YardRat
06-19-2017, 05:13 PM
Kelly
OJ
Thurman
Reed
Joe D
Hull
Kemp
Cookie
Cribbs
Shaw

I would swap out Cribbs in favor of Dubenion, and consider Moulds over Kemp. Agree on the other eight though.

Wally The Barber
06-19-2017, 07:13 PM
Amad Rashad

Homegrown
06-19-2017, 07:55 PM
Top 10 Buffalo Bills white guys, offensive edition :

Jimbo
Billy Shaw
Joe D
Will Wolford
Joe Ferguson
Bobby Chandler
Pete Metzelaars
Drew Bledsoe
Steve Christie
Doug Flutie

ParanoidAndroid
06-19-2017, 08:37 PM
Kelly
OJ
Thurman
Reed
Joe D
Hull
Kemp
Cookie
Cribbs
Shaw
This is the list, right here. Jerry Butler for honorable mention.

Mr. Pink
06-19-2017, 09:45 PM
No Moulds?

I would swap out Cribbs in favor of Dubenion, and consider Moulds over Kemp. Agree on the other eight though.

Since both of you hit on Moulds, no no Moulds. In my opinion, you could put as many as 4 WRs ahead of him. Reed, Dubenion, Butler and Lofton. I can't put a guy who you could legitimately argue to be the 5th best WR in franchise history as a top 10 offensive player in franchise history.

On Kemp, I was torn. His numbers are poor but, he did the lead the team to 2 AFL Titles. The QB always gets the credit and in franchise history, he's the only one who has lead the team to a title. His inclusion is more based on the back to back titles than anything else. But you could make the case to take him off the list and include someone else.

Amad Rashad

You mean Bobby Moore!

Mace
06-19-2017, 10:40 PM
Kelly, Thurman, Reed, OJ are clear.

Critical force for the team in their era...Cookie (mean, unstoppable juggernaut), Bob Chandler (sometimes I thought we only had one receiver), Cribbs (who was phenomenal until dazzled by himself into opportunism).

That's 7. I'm going to add Steve Christie for 8, because honestly, he deserves it, though I think people forget about him.

9 & 10 I'll give to the best linemen I revere. Billy Shaw, redoubtable and a force in a nasty streetfighting era full of prime nasty streetfighting defensive linemen.

No one is going to like my 10, but he's my 10, Jason Peters. He went from being a special teams udfa practice squad guy to special teams, to blocking te, to monster LT. He never said much, liked to putter with cars, never got in trouble, and just wanted to be paid in the end. 9 years later, like it or not...should have paid him.

YardRat
06-20-2017, 05:35 AM
I would put Moulds behind Reed and Dubie also (they are on my list) but just above Butler and Lofton.

The titles are a fair argument for Kemp's inclusion, certainly can't say 'well that's just wrong'.

Bobby Chandler would be on my personal list for all-time favorite offensive players, loved him...hated when he left.

Unfortunately for us Peters best days came after he left. Again, one of my favs though. If anybody actually earned a big money contract in this league, he's on that list.

Forward_Lateral
06-20-2017, 07:51 AM
Moulds is #2 in every major WR category, and is almost double in yards and receptions over 3rd (Lee Evans). I don't see how anyone can say he's #4 or #5 WR in franchise history. But that's my opinion, of course. I didn't see Dubenion play, and obviously when he played the game was a lot different.

Forward_Lateral
06-20-2017, 07:55 AM
Kemp had nearly twice as many Interceptions as he did TDs. His career completion % was in the mid 40s. His rating was 55.8. I didn't watch him play, but I can't justify putting him over some of the other guys mentioned based on wins alone

POTLAND PSILBYLO
06-20-2017, 08:45 AM
Reggie McKenzie
Jerry Butler
Todd Marijuanovich
Art Schlichter
Darrell Lamonica

justasportsfan
06-20-2017, 09:44 AM
Watching Robosack play qb was very offensive.

sukie
06-20-2017, 10:27 AM
No love for red haired TEs.

Generalissimus Gibby
06-20-2017, 10:31 AM
Kelly
Thomas
Reed
OJ
Moulds
Cookie
Hull
Ritcher
Shaw
DeLamillure

Arm of Harm
06-20-2017, 11:34 AM
Since both of you hit on Moulds, no no Moulds. In my opinion, you could put as many as 4 WRs ahead of him. Reed, Dubenion, Butler and Lofton. I can't put a guy who you could legitimately argue to be the 5th best WR in franchise history as a top 10 offensive player in franchise history.

On Kemp, I was torn. His numbers are poor but, he did the lead the team to 2 AFL Titles. The QB always gets the credit and in franchise history, he's the only one who has lead the team to a title. His inclusion is more based on the back to back titles than anything else. But you could make the case to take him off the list and include someone else.

You mean Bobby Moore!

I'll start with James Lofton, because his case is the most complex of the four. Lofton had about 14,000 receiving yards for his career, compared to about 10,000 for Eric Moulds. Lofton had six 1000+ yard seasons for his career, compared to four for Moulds. If you were to rank the NFL's receivers from best to worst, Lofton would receive a higher ranking than Moulds.

However, by the time Lofton signed with the Bills, he'd already played nine seasons for the Green Bay Packers, and two for the Los Angeles Raiders. In Lofton's best season for the Bills he had 1072 receiving yards. Moulds had three seasons better than that. In Lofton's second-best season for the Bills, he had 786 receiving yards. Moulds had seven seasons better than that--all of which were for the Bills. While Lofton had a better career than Moulds, our James Lofton was not as good as our Eric Moulds.

Jerry Butler had about 4300 receiving yards, and Dubenion had about 5300 receiving yards. Those two players combined did not have as many career receiving yards as Moulds. Butler played in 16 game seasons; Dubenion in 14 game seasons.

Eric Moulds eclipsed 1000 yards four times in his career. Butler failed to achieve 1000 yards even once. Dubenion achieved 875 yards twice. (875 yards over 14 games = 1000 yards over 16.) In Dubenion's best season he had 1139 receiving yards--equivalent to 1301 receiving yards in a 16 game season. Moulds' best season was 1368 receiving yards. Not a huge difference there. But Dubenion's second-best season was 959 yards--equal to 1096 yards over 16 games. Moulds had three seasons of about 1300 yards each. Of the three, you have to rank Moulds first, Dubenion second, Butler third.

Andre Reed had around 13,000 receiving yards, compared to about 10,000 for Moulds. Both players had four seasons of 1000 yards or more. Andre Reed had two seasons of ~1300 yards, compared to three such seasons for Moulds. Overall Reed was the better of the two, but Moulds may not be as far behind him as you might think.