PDA

View Full Version : Bills' cap situation looking healthier for 2017 and beyond

daryls61
06-26-2017, 01:21 PM
I just hope this does not mean we won't sign big name FA's if they can help the team....

According to the NFLPA’s public salary cap report, the Bills currently have $13,982,198 in available cap space for 2017.The figure includes only the top 51 salaries for players currently under contract. Once final cuts are made following the last preseason game, all 53 players on the roster will count towards the cap.
Each team is allowed to bring 90 players to training camp. The Bills currently have 89 players on their active roster with one empty space.
The $13.9 million figure is just under the median for the league. The Bills have more cap space than 13 other teams and less space than 18 of them, according to the NFLPA report. But with a full roster now accounted for it’s certainly a better position than they found themselves headed into this offseason.

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/bills-cap-situation-looking-healthier-2017-and-beyond

Joe Fo Sho
06-26-2017, 01:26 PM
I was under the impression that we were much closer to the cap this year. Being $13MM under the cap this year really makes me wish we kept Gillislee, and I was fine with letting him go at the time we made the decision. For some reason I thought that we would have barely been able to sign our rookies had we kept him. Does anyone else remember that?

Night Train
06-26-2017, 02:16 PM
The nice part is that Taylor or the QB we will pick high next spring (rookie deal) will not gut the cap and allow the Bills to shore up multiple other positions.

Ed
06-26-2017, 07:34 PM
I was under the impression that we were much closer to the cap this year. Being $13MM under the cap this year really makes me wish we kept Gillislee, and I was fine with letting him go at the time we made the decision. For some reason I thought that we would have barely been able to sign our rookies had we kept him. Does anyone else remember that?
That's because most people don't know what they're talking about when it comes to the cap.

jamze132
06-26-2017, 08:26 PM
I'm hopeful that the new regime will be a bit more efficient with the money they shuttle out. We need to draft better and keep our own players. Go figure...

Mace
06-26-2017, 08:34 PM

Making Aaron Williams a post June 1st cut changed the outlook a tad when they gained 4.2 million. I think most of the early cap worries also included Graham (saved 4 million), and worry over the previous Tyrod contract.

I wasn't so much upset about Gillislee (This season won't be any great shakes besides as foundation & J. Williams can put up or get a boot) as Zach Brown because we need a pursuit LB like that for what I figure this D will be, but he evidently wanted to play in a diff scheme.

I've sort of accepted both losses, figuring we can find a back and an LB when the scheme solidifies down the road, and if we roll over the cap we can use it after McDermott finds out what he really needs next year to add to the equation.

HHURRICANE
06-27-2017, 07:19 AM
Losing Gillese was a calculated error that the Bills burned themselves on. Period.

Jones, Watkins and Clay better be on the field the entire year or the extra cap space looks ridiculous.

Joe Fo Sho
06-27-2017, 07:31 AM
Losing Gillese was a calculated error that the Bills burned themselves on. Period.

I wouldn't say they burned themselves on the Gillislee situation, he's still just a backup running back. I'd say that we stubbed our toe with that situation, or maybe got a hang nail or something.

Bill Cody
06-27-2017, 10:43 AM
I wouldn't say they burned themselves on the Gillislee situation, he's still just a backup running back. I'd say that we stubbed our toe with that situation, or maybe got a hang nail or something.

Maybe. But if Shady misses any significant time it'll be more like a broken foot

Joe Fo Sho
06-27-2017, 10:51 AM
Maybe. But if Shady misses any significant time it'll be more like a broken foot

Or if Williams play well it could just be a wet fart.

It's not like Gillislee is immune to the injury bug, either. Although it's difficult to get injured if you avoid the football like he did on that kickoff against the Jets.

Bill Cody
06-27-2017, 11:20 AM
Or if Williams play well it could just be a wet fart.

It's not like Gillislee is immune to the injury bug, either. Although it's difficult to get injured if you avoid the football like he did on that kickoff against the Jets.

My point is Shady is an older back and more likely to be injured. It was a dumb decision and I hope it doesn't come back to bite them.

justasportsfan
06-27-2017, 11:45 AM
Pegulas are cheap

Joe Fo Sho
06-27-2017, 12:02 PM
My point is Shady is an older back and more likely to be injured. It was a dumb decision and I hope it doesn't come back to bite them.

I would have liked to keep Gillislee knowing how much we have in cap space, like I said, but backup running back is like 12th on the list of things I'm worried about biting this team this year.

jamze132
06-27-2017, 10:01 PM
When was the last season Shady didn't miss a game?

I understand the business side of not bringing back Gillislee for the amount NE offered since we aren't winning this year anyways. But I would have liked to have Gillislee here long term. We could have offered him a 3-4 years deal earlier and he probably would have accepted.

Joe Fo Sho
06-27-2017, 10:06 PM
When was the last season Shady didn't miss a game?

2013 and 2014.

He started 15 games last year.