PDA

View Full Version : I'm Feeling Proper Direction

Night Train
07-01-2017, 07:14 PM
..For the first time in years, instead of applying Band Aids and Brandon PR stunts.

Not feeling playoffs yet..just faith that this crew actually has a long term plan to build this team correctly. That's fine by me. Still need to ID our QB long term but this off-season wasn't going to deliver us anyone there. Next year could be more promising.

Unknown HC on game day. Has a good staff around him and the Front Office looks far better.

Bullish...long term..

Week by week growth this year..

Skooby
07-01-2017, 08:25 PM
I could probably rewrite the whole cycle of crap we've dealt with over the past 18 season, it's nauseating. So I'm going to take a wait and see approach.

HHURRICANE
07-02-2017, 02:17 AM
I'm not buying into anything.

sukie
07-02-2017, 04:33 AM
"next year could be promising..." That says it all. Same as it ever was ( until it isn't )

no, no feeling change here until I live through an off season without a meaningful " strength of schedule" thread.

SpikedLemonade
07-02-2017, 08:07 AM
Too early.

cookie G
07-02-2017, 09:29 AM
10 years ago...we were in the Dick Jauron era and about to welcome in the Trent Edwards Era. That was about as far from the right direction as a team can get.

As far as McDeadpool goes, he's got lots to prove. It takes a little more to win than buzz phrases from a motivational book.

He got the power he craved, time will tell if he can do anything with it

YardRat
07-02-2017, 10:47 AM
Oh fer chrissakes grow some hair on your balls and pick a side...finally some success or just the next man up in a long line of failures?

SpikedLemonade
07-02-2017, 10:55 AM
Oh fer chrissakes grow some hair on your balls and pick a side...finally some success or just the next man up in a long line of failures?

Thank you for your genuine concern about the status of hair follicles on my testicles.

If history holds true, the latter is the likely end result.

feldspar
07-02-2017, 11:11 AM

It's not trendy to have hair on your balls anymore, Yardie. Chicks don't dig it.

SpikedLemonade
07-02-2017, 11:24 AM
It's not trendy to have hair on your balls anymore, Yardie. Chicks don't dig it.

I hear it is making a coming back....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iD0bovrZyE

Skooby
07-02-2017, 11:40 AM

My hair grows hairs, just keeping it real.

justasportsfan
07-02-2017, 04:08 PM
Not buying anything about McD. I don't even think he's a proven defensive mastermind.

Only thing that makes me feel good about McD being the HC is that Rex is gone.

swiper
07-02-2017, 04:34 PM
10 years ago...we were in the Dick Jauron era and about to welcome in the Trent Edwards Era. That was about as far from the right direction as a team can get.

As far as McDeadpool goes, he's got lots to prove. It takes a little more to win than buzz phrases from a motivational book.

He got the power he craved, time will tell if he can do anything with it

McDermott could be like Mike Ditka as he came to the Bears as head coach. Problem is he lacks his Jim McMahon.

Novacane
07-02-2017, 04:48 PM
Who knows about McDermott. I knew Mularkey, Jauron, Gailey and Ryan were terrible choices when they were hired. At least this time I'm not just waiting for 2 years to pass for another kick at the can. I guess that's a step in the right direction.

jamze132
07-02-2017, 08:46 PM
17 seasons and counting...

Mace
07-02-2017, 10:19 PM
I'm not sure it works, but they're doing the process right. You can tell by the steps they actually built a purposeful, cohesive organization on the same page. I'm not saying they're the '90's Bills, but that's really the last time we had that across the board. Even the '90's Bills felt like lucking out. Staunch conservative running game oriented Levy entrusted his offense to Marchibroda. The relatively bendy defense had just the right players to show up big at the right times, and a band of uncontrollables had just the right chemistry to come together on game day. If McDermott proves to be a capable in-game HC, this is at the least, the best way to build a solid, competitive team with potential. At the best....maybe in a couple years we join the big boys club.

But I'm pretty comfortable for once seeing how it develops. For once, they at least did this with a logical process that intangibly feels correct.

Historian
07-03-2017, 08:46 AM
The Jim Beam will be delicious.

Night Train
07-03-2017, 09:49 AM
The Jim Beam will be delicious.

Especially Red Stag. That helps the optimism.

Ralph chugged Old Grand Dad.

Bill Cody
07-03-2017, 11:55 AM
I like the changes. 8-8 can have different feels to it. There's the Jauron 8-8 that felt treadmillish, there's the Marrone 8-8 (basically 8-8 the NE win was a fake win) that felt dickish, there's the Rex 8-8 that felt assclownish. This 8-8 is going to feel "Billlievish if we can get a QB"

Bill Cody
07-03-2017, 12:28 PM
and then there is the best 8-8 of my Buffalo fandom, 2002. So so exciting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9CzvL8aqA0

JoeMama
07-03-2017, 06:00 PM
..For the first time in years, instead of applying Band Aids and Brandon PR stunts.

Not feeling playoffs yet..just faith that this crew actually has a long term plan to build this team correctly. That's fine by me. Still need to ID our QB long term but this off-season wasn't going to deliver us anyone there. Next year could be more promising.

Unknown HC on game day. Has a good staff around him and the Front Office looks far better.

Bullish...long term..

Week by week growth this year..

Sounds like somebody just had a successful rectal exam!

Forward_Lateral
07-05-2017, 08:21 AM
I'm not getting excited or optimistic anymore. I've learned my lesson many times.

I will get excited when there's a Y next to the Bills name in the standings.

Night Train
07-06-2017, 04:12 PM
Like I stated, I'm hopeful long term...which means 2-3 years. First year coach and front office will not produce instant results. I realize long term for some of you is the 3 minutes it takes to microwave a hot pocket.

The new guys were not here for the 17 year drought. So they get a shot and we'll see. Observing.

swiper
07-06-2017, 06:52 PM
Like I stated, I'm hopeful long term...which means 2-3 years. First year coach and front office will not produce instant results. I realize long term for some of you is the 3 minutes it takes to microwave a hot pocket.

The new guys were not here for the 17 year drought. So they get a shot and we'll see. Observing.

Only the young fans and the bandwagon fans, generally, demand instant gratification. You've gotta give it a couple of years. The problem is the sheer number of failed 2 to 4 year regimes over the past 17 years have made some of the die-hard fans more than a little bit impatient. They have given new coaches those 2 or 3 years you describe and have been kicked in the nuts over and over by it.

Mace
07-06-2017, 09:06 PM
Only the young fans and the bandwagon fans, generally, demand instant gratification. You've gotta give it a couple of years. The problem is the sheer number of failed 2 to 4 year regimes over the past 17 years have made some of the die-hard fans more than a little bit impatient. They have given new coaches those 2 or 3 years you describe and have been kicked in the nuts over and over by it.

I fall into that impatient category, but the methodology this time at least feeds some patience into me, as opposed to the gnashing of teeth from the last few changes which sucked more patience out of me. Of a wonder, I think this offseason process may have reset my optimism/pessimism counters to 0.

BillsImpossible
07-09-2017, 12:30 PM
Over the past 3 seasons, the Bills are 24-24.

9-7
8-8
7-9

They had the talent to win, but never had 'Proper Direction.'

Now they have it.

Good discussion. Great post! Night Train.

Now I know the reason why this off season has felt so different.

The Buffalo Bills finally have the kind of leadership it takes to win.

No wonders why this off season feels so strange.

Win?

:nod:

Goobylal
07-09-2017, 07:48 PM
Getting rid of WreckS and especially his idiot brother is the proper direction. Word is that he was last in/first out when it came to coaching. I can assure you McD will not be like that.

Beyond that, going back to the 4-3 will be a huge boost for the defense and team. Give the Bills of the past 2 seasons the 2014 defense and they make the playoffs.

As for the offense, I think Ric Dennison will install a more effective passing offense than what Roman and Anthony Lynn were capable of and you know Shady will get his yards.

Then finally there are the ST's. Signing Hauschka was a great move because he not only is a great kicker, but can also kickoff. Which means not having to keep and extra kicker just for them. And I also think that the UDFA punter they brought in, Rehkow, can win the punting job and upgrade there.

swiper
07-10-2017, 12:40 PM
Getting rid of WreckS and especially his idiot brother is the proper direction. Word is that he was last in/first out when it came to coaching. I can assure you McD will not be like that.

Beyond that, going back to the 4-3 will be a huge boost for the defense and team. Give the Bills of the past 2 seasons the 2014 defense and they make the playoffs.

As for the offense, I think Ric Dennison will install a more effective passing offense than what Roman and Anthony Lynn were capable of and you know Shady will get his yards.

Then finally there are the ST's. Signing Hauschka was a great move because he not only is a great kicker, but can also kickoff. Which means not having to keep and extra kicker just for them. And I also think that the UDFA punter they brought in, Rehkow, can win the punting job and upgrade there.

I'm all for the optimism. But some others don't agree.

Buffalo Bills coach Sean McDermott ranks as 29th-best NFL head coach (https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/7/6/15931288/sean-mcdermott-buffalo-bills-29th-best-nfl-elliot-harrison-rankings)

Buffalo Bills have 3rd most roster turnover this offseason (https://buffalowdown.com/2017/07/07/buffalo-bills-roster-turnover/)

Pro Football Focus ranks Buffalo Bills roster as 27th-best in NFL (https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/6/27/15882900/pro-football-focus-rankings-buffalo-bills-27th-best-roster-tyrod-taylor-lesean-mccoy)

SpikedLemonade
07-10-2017, 12:55 PM
Until the Bills actually win more games, I am Feeling I Need a Proper Erection.

Goobylal
07-10-2017, 01:39 PM

Buffalo Bills coach Sean McDermott ranks as 29th-best NFL head coach (https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/7/6/15931288/sean-mcdermott-buffalo-bills-29th-best-nfl-elliot-harrison-rankings)

Buffalo Bills have 3rd most roster turnover this offseason (https://buffalowdown.com/2017/07/07/buffalo-bills-roster-turnover/)

Pro Football Focus ranks Buffalo Bills roster as 27th-best in NFL (https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/6/27/15882900/pro-football-focus-rankings-buffalo-bills-27th-best-roster-tyrod-taylor-lesean-mccoy)

I'd need to see the track record of predictions by these sites. Anyone can have an opinion.

Buddo
07-10-2017, 02:54 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic. Ryan(s) going would always be a big plus. Returning to a 4-3 is good too. Ryan, if he had had any sense at all, once he got Roman, should have kept Schwartz, and his coaches, and he could have concentrated on being a HC, rather than a clown, and we might have made the playoffs, in either, or maybe even both, years.

The Pegulas actually did have a rationale for hiring their first HC, once Marrone jumped, but unfortunately, they didn't think it through enough, and got turned over by Ryan's spiel. The 'rationale', was for an experienced HC, so they shouldn't have to worry about too much of the detail on the playing side, while becoming accustomed to being Owners. Hindsight says that at that point, Schwartz was probably the right guy to go with, both due to previous experience, and success with one side of the football from the roster at the time.

There might have been a big turnover in the roster this year, but there's still a lot of carryover of starting players, especially where it matters most, on the lines. If we have few injuries, and none to 'major' players, this team will likely have an outside shot at the playoffs this year. Depth and Safety, are pretty much the biggest areas of concern for me. We simply don't have enough depth to account for a lot of injuries, and I'm not convinced we have two starting calibre safeties.

Tyrod may not win you many games, especially with any sort of comeback needed, but he's generally not the guy who loses you games either.

Realistically, I think we are still in the 7-9 wins range, but I believe we will be a difficult game for anyone, and actually look a lot more consistent, and consequently, professional.

justasportsfan
07-10-2017, 03:33 PM

i can't argue with any of that. I just hope the Pegulas didn't screw up like they did with Rex. So far, I like whats coming out of McD's mouth but it's all talk .

swiper
07-10-2017, 05:15 PM
I'd need to see the track record of predictions by these sites. Anyone can have an opinion.

I generally agree that the new coaching staff has the right approach. And I agree that the current personnel is weak. That last link really underscores that point.

But there's nowhere to go but up.

Goobylal
07-10-2017, 08:37 PM
I generally agree that the new coaching staff has the right approach. And I agree that the current personnel is weak. That last link really underscores that point.

But there's nowhere to go but up.

I disagree that the personnel is weak, much less weaker. The offense was 10th in the NFL in scoring last year and lost no one who wasn't wholly replaceable. In fact, I'll go so far as to say they upgraded at WR, and I'm not even counting Zay Jones in that (and if he lives up to his pre-draft hype...). Sammy should be healthy after having more than enough time to heal his foot. Shady is still a stud. Clay should probably produce about where he did last year. And the OL returns intact (although I'd like to see Mills replaced by Dawkins). I'll wait and see on Dennison as an OC, but I wasn't a fan of Roman or Lynn.

On defense, again, the personnel wasn't suited for the 3-4, a fact most of these "pundits" are overlooking. The DL should be back to dominating, which will help out the rest of the defense. They have talent at LB and in the secondary, but admittedly Gilmore was a loss. Can White replace him? Will he need to? We'll see.

And I already went over how the ST's were upgraded.

Skooby
07-10-2017, 11:20 PM
I disagree that the personnel is weak, much less weaker. The offense was 10th in the NFL in scoring last year and lost no one who wasn't wholly replaceable. In fact, I'll go so far as to say they upgraded at WR, and I'm not even counting Zay Jones in that (and if he lives up to his pre-draft hype...). Sammy should be healthy after having more than enough time to heal his foot. Shady is still a stud. Clay should probably produce about where he did last year. And the OL returns intact (although I'd like to see Mills replaced by Dawkins). I'll wait and see on Dennison as an OC, but I wasn't a fan of Roman or Lynn.

On defense, again, the personnel wasn't suited for the 3-4, a fact most of these "pundits" are overlooking. The DL should be back to dominating, which will help out the rest of the defense. They have talent at LB and in the secondary, but admittedly Gilmore was a loss. Can White replace him? Will he need to? We'll see.

And I already went over how the ST's were upgraded.

Gilmore was hit or miss but let's be clear here, the expectations are low for this team and the schedule is horrendous on paper. Not every team we play will be as good as last year but some maybe better (less the Jets). Plan for us to show hope game 1 at home against a talentless team, then our season really starts.

Historian
07-11-2017, 07:07 AM
It's always nice to win an opener.

gr8slayer
07-11-2017, 11:34 AM
Still gotta find a franchise QB.

Goobylal
07-11-2017, 01:55 PM
Gilmore was hit or miss but let's be clear here, the expectations are low for this team and the schedule is horrendous on paper. Not every team we play will be as good as last year but some maybe better (less the Jets). Plan for us to show hope game 1 at home against a talentless team, then our season really starts.

Fair enough. But expectations are only low because it's a new regime and the schedule looks bad. If they can keep the offense as productive but get the defense back to 2014, they could be very good. Time will tell.