PDA

View Full Version : 11 traits of a playoff caliber roster

YardRat
07-04-2017, 09:14 AM
How many of the 11 do the Bills have?

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/03/2017-buffalo-bills-roster-depth-nfl-playoffs/

Sirius XM Radio and RealFootballNetwork’s Pat Kirwin is well aware of the need for teams to have quality depth on their roster in order to mitigate the loss of a starting player. He developed a list of questions that teams must answer regarding the depth (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/roster-depth-key-to-championships-so-its-no-surprise-seattle-has-it/) on their roster after finding that the majority of teams that made the playoffs were able to answer them.

With training camp around the corner, let’s determine if the Bills’ roster can answer most, or all, of the traits that Kirwan believes, will make or break a team’s chances at the postseason.
Does your team have a real swing offensive tackle, a guy that can play left or right tackle and has experience?

JoeMama
07-04-2017, 02:30 PM
You can tell this thread is so heartbreaking that Bills fans can even will themselves to respond.

Way to go, Goth Yardrat.

SpikedLemonade
07-04-2017, 04:43 PM
Poop!

Frenchman
07-04-2017, 05:21 PM
Well just keep on dreaming as if the team does not turn the tide, it will be a dream.

Bill Cody
07-05-2017, 09:11 AM
Wonder what Barnett is waiting for to sign. we could use him

Arm of Harm
07-05-2017, 09:51 PM
How many of the 11 do the Bills have?

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/03/2017-buffalo-bills-roster-depth-nfl-playoffs/

Sirius XM Radio and RealFootballNetwork’s Pat Kirwin is well aware of the need for teams to have quality depth on their roster in order to mitigate the loss of a starting player. He developed a list of questions that teams must answer regarding the depth (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/roster-depth-key-to-championships-so-its-no-surprise-seattle-has-it/) on their roster after finding that the majority of teams that made the playoffs were able to answer them.

With training camp around the corner, let’s determine if the Bills’ roster can answer most, or all, of the traits that Kirwan believes, will make or break a team’s chances at the postseason.
Does your team have a real swing offensive tackle, a guy that can play left or right tackle and has experience?

Good article. Makes me see depth differently than I had before.

However, there is another question also that playoff teams are typically able to answer in the affirmative. Do you have a franchise quarterback?

swiper
07-06-2017, 11:46 AM
Real Football Network? WTF is that? Pat Kirwin got kicked out of every valid job he's ever held. So now he makes one up. He should get together with that Ryan Talbot kid. They can write articles in between rounds of Crazy 8s.

DraftBoy
07-06-2017, 01:27 PM
What the....?

Jordan Mills struggled as Buffalo’s starting right tackle last season, which was likely a big reason the team used a second-round pick in the 2016 NFL draft to select Dion Dawkins out of Temple who started for four years at left tackle.

Verdict: Yes

How the hell is the verdict yes to this question?

DraftBoy
07-06-2017, 01:29 PM
Seriously this is just a poor article, the explanations and verdicts rarely match what the question is even asking.

YardRat
07-06-2017, 08:12 PM
It is a poor article, and the author is overly optimistic with some of the assessments IMO. However, it's an interesting premise.

Mace
07-06-2017, 08:54 PM
It is a poor article, and the author is overly optimistic with some of the assessments IMO. However, it's an interesting premise.

It is indeed and interesting premise. I just got stuck on the relationship of new systems, staff and players to the idea of drawing any conclusions, much less good or bad. Probably an article that would have more substance next season.

The 11 attributes seem sensible, there's just no way to apply them with the variable of "change" atm, imho.

TigerJ
07-06-2017, 09:12 PM
I think any fan would have to have some strongly rose colored glasses to think the Bills are ready to go to the playoffs this year. I suppose they could get lucky and sneak in, but it's not a realistic expectation at this point. No, the Bills do not have a reliable experienced swing tackle on the roster. I think that Dion Dawkins has the potential to be a starter or a good swing tackle eventually, but he can't be both at the same time, and right now he's a rookie. Not too many people at this point could be convinced that Mills can/should be a long term starter at RT.