PDA

View Full Version : A measuring stick for Eichel's contract, perhaps?

ckg927
07-05-2017, 02:03 PM
Bob McKenzie at TSN (among others)is reporting that Edmonton Oilers C Connor McDavid is remaining in Oil Country.

The terms: 8 years. $100 MILLION.

And, IMO, worth EVERY penny of that contract.

It won't begin until the 2018-19 season, however.

The Jokeman
07-05-2017, 04:56 PM
Bob McKenzie at TSN (among others)is reporting that Edmonton Oilers C Connor McDavid is remaining in Oil Country.

The terms: 8 years. $100 MILLION.

And, IMO, worth EVERY penny of that contract.

It won't begin until the 2018-19 season, however.

McDavid is the next Crosby, as he a once in a lifetime game changing player. I mean he's brought one of the worst hockey teams to the playoffs and already won a Hart Trophy. Eichel on the other hand is another John Tavares, not elite but certainly above average and/or great. I think Tavares contract might be a better comparison since neither's one a Hart Trophy nor been get their teams to the playoffs consistently. Which could be 8 years $85-90 MILLION.

coastal
07-05-2017, 05:07 PM
McDavid is the next Gretzky.

JATMtheJATM
07-05-2017, 05:43 PM
McDavid is the next Crosby, as he a once in a lifetime game changing player. I mean he's brought one of the worst hockey teams to the playoffs and already won a Hart Trophy. Eichel on the other hand is another John Tavares, not elite but certainly above average and/or great. I think Tavares contract might be a better comparison since neither's one a Hart Trophy nor been get their teams to the playoffs consistently. Which could be 8 years $85-90 MILLION.

Tavares is elite. He's just not legendary like Crosby or gretzky

Yasgur's Farm
07-05-2017, 06:24 PM
I believe Eichel was tops in the league the last 40 games in points per game. That says that he outplayed McDavid for half the season after missing 21 games.

camelcowboy
07-05-2017, 07:11 PM
I believe Eichel was tops in the league the last 40 games in points per game. That says that he outplayed McDavid for half the season after missing 21 games.
Stop Eichel can't hold mcdavid,or matthews jock.

Mr. Pink
07-05-2017, 09:18 PM
The problem with Eichel, fantastic individual player won't deny him that, he does nothing to make his team better, at this time.

They had 19 points in the first 21 games last year when Eichel was out with the ankle injury, after Eichel returned to the lineup the Sabres amassed 59 points in 61 games. They were basically the same team, in the standings with or without him.

So no, McDavid's contract shouldn't be a measuring stick. McDavid, at this time, far surpasses Eichel in terms of individual performance and what he actually means to his team.

JATMtheJATM
07-05-2017, 10:13 PM
The problem with Eichel, fantastic individual player won't deny him that, he does nothing to make his team better, at this time.

They had 19 points in the first 21 games last year when Eichel was out with the ankle injury, after Eichel returned to the lineup the Sabres amassed 59 points in 61 games. They were basically the same team, in the standings with or without him.

So no, McDavid's contract shouldn't be a measuring stick. McDavid, at this time, far surpasses Eichel in terms of individual performance and what he actually means to his team.

They did better when he returned up till the time the team just crashed hard. He DID make a positive difference. But then the tire fire happened.

Eichel isn't Crosby or mcdavid. He's a tavares kinda guy. Franchise pillar. Like Matthews. We should be so lucky. Get the right guys around him and watch him, and us, fly

By the way, why the eff didn't the sabres go after johansen from Washington

Yasgur's Farm
07-06-2017, 07:54 AM
Stop Eichel can't hold mcdavid,or matthews jock.There's where you're wrong...

Eichel scored 57 points over 61 games last season... = 77 points over 82 games... 8 more than Matthews and 23 less than McDavid.
But... After fully recovering from his injury...
Eichel scored 36 points over his last 33 games... = 90 points over 82 games... 21 more than Matthews and just 10 less than McDavid.

As for goals...
Eichel projected to 32 goals over 82 games... = 2 more than McDavid and 8 less than Matthews.

Bottom line is that Eichel scores more points than Matthews and more goals than McDavid.

Proof that Eichel should be considered to be in the same elite class as these other 2... A far cry from "holding their jocks".

DetDannyWilliams
07-06-2017, 11:26 AM
BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — The mere hair of a fraction — 0.005 to be exact — is what separated Sabres forward Jack Eichel from cashing in on a $2 million contract performance bonus clause.
The second-year player would have been due the bonus had he finished among the NHL's top 10 in points per game production this season, a person with direct knowledge of Eichel's entry-level contract confirmed to The Associated Press on Monday.
The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the contract clause has not been made public.
Eichel had 57 points in 61 games to finish 11th by averaging 0.934 points per game. Edmonton's Leon Draisaitl edged him out in finishing 10th by averaging 0.939 points per game with 77 points in 82 games. Draisaitl passed Eichel with a goal and assist in the Oilers' 5-2 season-ending win against Vancouver on Sunday.
Though still bothered by the ankle injury upon his return in late November, Eichel closed the season with 16 goals and 26 assists for 42 points in his final 40 games

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2017/04/10/ap-source-sabres-eichel-misses-out-on-2-million-bonus/100311638/

swiper
07-06-2017, 12:25 PM
Will be interesting to see McDavid vs Eichel vs Matthews this coming season.

Still happy to have Eichel. He's only going to get better.

camelcowboy
07-06-2017, 04:14 PM
There's where you're wrong...

Eichel scored 57 points over 61 games last season... = 77 points over 82 games... 8 more than Matthews and 23 less than McDavid.
Eichel scored 36 points over his last 33 games... = 90 points over 82 games... 21 more than Matthews and just 10 less than McDavid.

As for goals...
Eichel projected to 32 goals over 82 games... = 2 more than McDavid and 8 less than Matthews.

Bottom line is that Eichel scores more points than Matthews and more goals than McDavid.

Proof that Eichel should be considered to be in the same elite class as these other 2... A far cry from "holding their jocks". You lose me with "projections"let me know when the results are in. Lol or he takes them to the playoffs

camelcowboy
07-06-2017, 04:21 PM
For record I like Eichel. I'm glad we have him but he's not in their realm. Even matthews girlfriend is a 10 and Eichel's is 8. You should Google them. I couldn't attach the images of them but boy some beautiful girls.

JATMtheJATM
07-06-2017, 04:27 PM
Will be interesting to see McDavid vs Eichel vs Matthews this coming season.

Still happy to have Eichel. He's only going to get better.

This.

OpIv37
07-06-2017, 08:29 PM
There's where you're wrong...

As for goals...

Proof that Eichel should be considered to be in the same elite class as these other 2... A far cry from "holding their jocks".

Great analysis but it's based on projections. He's absolutely a talented player but it remains to be seen if he can actually live up to them when healthy for a full season.

That being said, the Sabres really can't wait. They need to pay him now based on a combination of actual results and projections to ensure they don't lose him.

JATMtheJATM
07-06-2017, 08:57 PM
Great analysis but it's based on projections. He's absolutely a talented player but it remains to be seen if he can actually live up to them when healthy for a full season.

That being said, the Sabres really can't wait. They need to pay him now based on a combination of actual results and projections to ensure they don't lose him.

I was hoping botterill would get some key names this offseason

ckg927
07-10-2017, 11:29 AM
I was hoping botterill would get some key names this offseason
Sometimes, the best move you can make is the one you DON'T make. Botterill may be following that path now.

DetDannyWilliams
08-02-2017, 02:52 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">AP Source: The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Sabres?src=hash">#Sabres</a> and Jack Eichel are working on a potential eight-year deal. <a href="https://t.co/0s8OrQmjp2">https://t.co/0s8OrQmjp2</a> <a href="https://t.co/fbVo1Cevql">pic.twitter.com/fbVo1Cevql</a></p>&mdash; Sportsnet (@Sportsnet) <a href="https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/892833009610764289">August 2, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Night Train
08-02-2017, 05:42 PM
Buffalo AP reporter John Wawrow working hard on the story. Potential being the key term in the 8 year deal hope. Talks have been ongoing for a month. They are getting close.