X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregclubSTH
    • Jun 2017

dream-team coaching staff

Who would you have for your dream-team coaching staff? The coach , defensive coach, offensive coach etc. etc.
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

Re: dream-team coaching staff

Harder than it might seem. The first issue to figure out is the fact that some of the greatest of all time used offensive and defensive schemes that are now outmoded either because of rules changes or the ongoing tendency toward greater sophistication. For example, Bill Walsh was one of the greatest offensive minds ever, but everybody understands the West Coast offense now. Defensive coordinators understand how to defend it, and offensive coordinators who use a variation do so because the original pure version invented by Walsh has been figured out. So, do I pick Bill Walsh for my offensive coordinator because he was one of the greatest ever, or do I pick someone like Andy Reid or Mike McCarthy because they understand that as good as the West Coast was in its time you have to add something different to it to make it work today?
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Gibby
      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by GregclubSTH View Post
      Who would you have for your dream-team coaching staff? The coach , defensive coach, offensive coach etc. etc.
      Lets have some fun with this

HC, Vince Lombardi
      OC, Don Coryell
      DC, Buddy Ryan (its not his fault that his coaching genius did not descend to his sons)
      ST, Marv Levy
      QB, Ted Marchibroda

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Most of the names somebody would put on their 'great head coach' list won with defense. Gee, what a coincidence.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

Jim Lee Howell coached the NY Giants from 1954-1960.

His OC was Vince Lombardi

His DC was Tom Landry

Jim Lee Howell...was a very smart man.
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Swiper
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2010

Talk about a coaching tree.

Comment

• GregclubSTH
              • Jun 2017

how about limiting it to who is currently working in the nfl right now? Cherry picking from any team you want, even down to the owner? I should've made this a 'pick your dream franchise' thread....

Comment

• Mace
                Haha...yeah you think so ?
                • Mar 2013

Ok, I'll take a shot.

HC- Bill Belichick. Hail to the King baby, whether or not you like it.
                OC- Charlie Weis. The guy was a terrible HC on any level, and proved himself annoying when he went beyond what he did very well, coordinate offenses.
                DC - Wade Phillips - the guy just makes defenses that work, let's face it.
                QB - Tom House - mechanics, motion, footwork, OC integrates it. Tom Brady after he retires at 68.
                ST = Bill Belichick. He's Bill Belichick though I don't know how he gets along with himself the HC. Probably they hate each other and crank out ridiculous success.
                OL - Dave "Mouse" McNally. We fed him crap personnel and he elevated them to just mediocre. With better than crap personnel ? You can figure it out. Honorable mention to Joe D'Alessandris who actually got results from Demetress Bell to fool someone else into signing him.
                DL - Tim Krumrie. For one he's under Wade Phillips. For two he's Tim Krumrie who was aggravatingly proficient as a player. For three, he used to test college players on visits, grappling them on the practice field in jeans and cowboy boots after losing 40 lbs from his playing days. Go Tim go !
                DB - Donnie Henderson. McKelvin !
                LB - Vince Lombardi. He never coached defense that I know of, but he was so about discipline, execution, and results that I can't see this not working.
                RB - Anthony Lynn - if you do one thing very well, keep doing that one thing very well, see Charlie Weis.
                WR - Chad O' Shea (Pats WR coach since 2009). Admit it, their receivers run disciplined routes and know what to do, while never being the most skilled guys. Fits perfectly with the Belichicks.
                TE - Bill Belichick. Can't think of anyone else, so go with the obvious.

It's hard to include many older coaches because their theories evolved and adapted, modified by successors and the game. Hank Bullough/Chuck Fairbanks made a system Wade Phillips operates better with changes to the game, Don Coryell with San Diego pioneered the modern pass happy which works better than his did, Bobby April became ineffective in ST when the wedge passed. Lou Saban's bare knuckled style didn't grow well, as the Ryan hybrid and Tampa-2 didn't.
                Last edited by Mace; 07-08-2017, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

I'm a little disappointed you don't have anybody for quality control on either side of the ball.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mace
                    Haha...yeah you think so ?
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                    I'm a little disappointed you don't have anybody for quality control on either side of the ball.
                    Ask and you shall receive.

Defensive QA - Bill Belichick
                    Offensive QA - Bill Belichick
                    Special Teams assistant - Bill Belichick

The layers of Belichicks working for Belichick would provide maximum Belichickness. Staff meetings would be awesome, the sidelines would look fearsome with them all standing there stoic, and post game press conferences would reveal nothing whatever about anything, it would make Jerry Sullivan spontaneously combust.

Comment

Working...
                    X