PDA

View Full Version : Panthers fire GM

psubills62
07-17-2017, 11:30 AM
Rotoworld notes that Beane would have been the likely in-house replacement. Almost wonder if we could bring in Gettleman as an assistant role.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9515/dave-gettleman

Skooby
07-17-2017, 11:35 AM
Why did this happen this close ?? Drugs ? Arrest ?? Doesn't make a lot of sense.

swiper
07-17-2017, 11:59 AM
Likely explanation is here:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/17/panthers-boot-g-m-dave-gettleman/

The Panthers are in the midst of a number of contract negotiations with beloved veterans (Thomas Davis and Greg Olsen) and Gettleman drew notorious hard lines with beloved veterans such as Jordan Gross and Steve Smith in the past. That might not have suited Richardson, who takes pride in his relationships with long-time players.

Very unexpected.

You would have thought that the KC and Carolina GMs were on pretty solid footing.

don137
07-17-2017, 01:23 PM
Living in Charlotte I can say lots of Panther fans upset that Beane not around as he was the 'next man up' prior to Beane leaving for Buffalo. Many felt Panthers GM is his dream position. Heard Joe Schoen is a potential candidate for GM but speculation at this point.

Albany,n.y.
07-17-2017, 02:22 PM
Right now Whaley is driving to Charlotte with plans to park himself outside the entrance to the Panthers offices wearing a sandwich board that says "WILL GM FOR FOOD"

Luisito23
07-17-2017, 02:44 PM
LOL.

Night Train
07-17-2017, 03:20 PM
Can we somehow blame Brandon, Whaley or Rex for this ?

feldspar
07-17-2017, 04:10 PM
If I were Brandon, I'd have second thoughts about his decision to come to Buffalo right now.

On the other hand, if the Panthers really wanted him, they should have fired their GM before they let Beanie walk.

I don't get it.

Luisito23
07-17-2017, 04:31 PM
Can we somehow blame Brandon, Whaley or Rex for this ?

Yes, you can never blame those clowns enough

whkfc
07-17-2017, 05:48 PM
This is almost a Bills level of dysfunction.

Skooby
07-17-2017, 09:20 PM
This is almost a Bills level of dysfunction.
Hey let's not kid ourselves, we're incredible slouches.

TigerJ
07-17-2017, 10:27 PM
If I were Brandon, I'd have second thoughts about his decision to come to Buffalo right now.

On the other hand, if the Panthers really wanted him, they should have fired their GM before they let Beanie walk.

I don't get it.It's called the owners prerogative to do stupid things with lousy timing. Specifically the GM was executing a strategy that had already produced some success and resembled the philosophy that has served the Patriots well for years (dump players whose salary demands exceed their productivity). Instead, the owner has become sentimental. So, he dumped the GM with the focused strategy so he could be nice to those players whose skill levels had begun to slip. Maybe he thinks that after he has put the team in salary cap hell, players will rally to the cause and approach him with offers to reduce their contracts so they can all stay together as one big happy family. Does anyone here think it will work?

swiper
07-18-2017, 04:20 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/17/jon-beason-dave-gettleman-accused-me-of-faking-an-injury/

Former Panthers linebacker Jon Beason told WFNZ in Charlotte that Gettleman once made a strong accusation about Beason about Beason’s inability to practice and play with a bad knee.

“For him not to know me and say, ‘Hey, listen, you’re faking this injury.’ Those are harsh words,” Beason said. “Verbatim. ‘C’mon, Jon. You know nothing’s wrong with your knee.'”

Beason was recovering from microfracture surgery, a difficult procedure that in many cases is a coin-flip proposition as to whether the player will ever be the same.

“Obviously, I didn’t like that he was challenging my character, my integrity,” Beason said. “Especially since I love to play football.”

It’s surprising more of these anecdotes didn’t emerge before Gettleman was fired. Yes, there had been rumblings about Gettleman’s bedside manner, but nothing to suggest the open season that has been declared since the moment Gettleman got his pink slip.