PDA

View Full Version : Anquan Boldin visiting Buffalo

psubills62
07-21-2017, 01:50 PM
Surprised I didn't see it on here, maybe I missed it.

ESPN's Dan Graziano reports free agent Anquan Boldin will visit the Bills on Monday.

Boldin had planned to sign with a team just prior to training camp and it looks like he'll have a chance to do just that. The Bills are thin at receiver outside of injury-prone Sammy Watkins and pursued Jeremy Maclin and Eric Decker before those players signed elsewhere last month. Boldin has a history with Tyrod Taylor, who was his teammate in Baltimore for two seasons. Entering his age-37 season, Boldin isn't as explosive as he was early in his career but he's still a savvy possession receiver with a nose for the end zone. He pulled in 67 catches for 594 yards and a team-high eight touchdowns with the Lions last season. Jul 21 - 2:12 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2078/anquan-boldin

OpIv37
07-21-2017, 01:58 PM
He's def past his prime but I'm not sure if there is a better option at this point

Thurmal
07-21-2017, 02:14 PM
Would be a decent signing. Always a tough WR, and speed was never his game, so the age thing isn't as worrisome as it could be. Would be nice if he could come in and have a Bill Brooks-esque, out-of-nowhere big year.

Ed
07-21-2017, 02:21 PM
I didn't realize he was still a FA, but I'd like the signing as long as he's in shape. We don't need him to be a #1 WR. It would just be nice to have a dependable veteran in our WR group.

Night Train
07-21-2017, 02:25 PM
Veteran leadership. Catches everything short. Gets separation and fights for the ball. Like having another coach at a position loaded with question marks.

Downside at this point ? None.

The Toe Show
07-21-2017, 04:08 PM
Sammy Watkins
Zay Jones
Aquan Boldin
Charles Clay
Andre Holmes

Makes it so much more weapony

YardRat
07-21-2017, 04:17 PM
I like Boldin.

EDS
07-21-2017, 04:26 PM
He likely would be a positive addition on the field, but could be more valuable in the locker room, particularly if he can impart some wisdom on Sammy.

That said, this seems to be a transition year for the Bills and given Sammie's contract status I think they may need to get Zay on the field as much as possible so he is ready for a bigger role the following season after Sammie bolts.

swiper
07-21-2017, 05:22 PM
He's def past his prime but I'm not sure if there is a better option at this point

He had 67 catches for 594 yards and 8 TDs in Detroit last year. I'll take that. He's a solid veteran receiver for one year.

YardRat
07-21-2017, 05:50 PM
Would be a better pick-up than Green-Beckham.

Night Train
07-21-2017, 06:00 PM
Would be a better pick-up than Green-Beckham.

or Josh Gordon ! :up:

Forward_Lateral
07-21-2017, 07:23 PM
Not sure why he'd want to play in Buffalo to end his career, but I'd be happy if he did.

Mace
07-21-2017, 07:30 PM
Sammy Watkins
Zay Jones
Aquan Boldin
Charles Clay
Andre Holmes

Makes it so much more weapony

With Taylor at QB in a rushing oriented offense (see McCoy, DiMarco, Tolbert), it's like a blind man with a collection of scoped rifles. Tyrod's not even going to see Clay enough unless he's the dump off near the line of scrimmage. If I'm Boldin, I'd ask about numbers and go elsewhere. Someone with a real passing offense will need him yet. If I'm the Bills, yeah sure if he comes relatively cheap.

I don't really see the point though.

SpikedLemonade
07-21-2017, 07:35 PM
Veteran leadership. Catches everything short. Gets separation and fights for the ball. Like having another coach at a position loaded with question marks.

Downside at this point ? None.

I don't believe he can get separation any more.

Skooby
07-21-2017, 08:37 PM
He's this generation's James Lofton, off to the Super Bowl. We are going to the show again baby !!

jimmifli
07-21-2017, 09:18 PM
I don't believe he can get separation any more.

He doesn't but he wins body position and fights for the ball. He'll be good from the slot across the middle for 6 yards, or a little deeper down the seem. Combine that with Clay and they can dictate some matchups. Makes it harder to double Sammy, especially when our 3rd and 5 draw game is a bigger threat than the pass.

I got no problem signing hardworking dudes with good hands.

SpikedLemonade
07-22-2017, 04:20 AM
He doesn't but he wins body position and fights for the ball. He'll be good from the slot across the middle for 6 yards, or a little deeper down the seem. Combine that with Clay and they can dictate some matchups. Makes it harder to double Sammy, especially when our 3rd and 5 draw game is a bigger threat than the pass.

I got no problem signing hardworking dudes with good hands.

I have NO problem signing him but TT will NEVER see him across the middle.

Forward_Lateral
07-22-2017, 06:47 AM
I have NO problem signing him but TT will NEVER see him across the middle.

It's a good thing Taylor won't be the QB ;)

DraftBoy
07-22-2017, 07:31 AM
The thing with Boldin is that he's a technician when it comes to route running, body positioning, blocking, and setting up defenders. As many have eluded to his athleticism was never elite and he's certainly slowed down some, but he's as good at his craft as any WR in the NFL.

Boldin wins because he does the little things right and that is a trait that has been lost on a lot of the young WR's in the league (minus Julio Jones and maybe Antonio Brown). Boldin would not just help us add a likely 50 catch, 500 yard, 5 TD player but he could be a huge mentor for Watkins and Jones. Not to mention he has the ability to be a key blocker down the field for McCoy in the run game.

This is a no brainer for me.

CoolBreeze
07-22-2017, 07:43 AM
It'd be great to see him here. I'm confident the FO gets this one done.

HHURRICANE
07-22-2017, 08:45 AM
I just reposted my thread from May 2016.

Historian
07-22-2017, 08:52 AM
I always thought he played with a lot of heart.

TigerJ
07-22-2017, 09:12 AM
You've got to think that there is room on the roster for a receiver who is durable and productive even if he is old and slow. You'd think he can teach the youngsters something if nothing else.

Skooby
07-23-2017, 02:17 AM
I just reposted my thread from May 2016.

I love doing that, it makes you look like a visionary!

HHURRICANE
07-24-2017, 09:39 PM
He left without a deal...