PDA

View Full Version : I bought a time machine on Ebay.

jimmifli
07-25-2017, 07:03 PM
I jumped forward to January and was amazed to see the Bills had made the playoffs. Unfortunately the time machine broke before I had much chance to look around, and Ebay's dispute resolution system sucks.

Anyways it got me thinking, now that we know the Bills made the playoffs this year, how did it happen?

YardRat
07-25-2017, 07:10 PM
The owners voted mid-season to let all 32 teams in the playoffs this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Snarkiness aside, I seriously think it's possible. Highly unlikely...but possible.

OpIv37
07-25-2017, 07:34 PM
I jumped forward to January and was amazed to see the Bills had made the playoffs. Unfortunately the time machine broke before I had much chance to look around, and Ebay's dispute resolution system sucks.

Anyways it got me thinking, now that we know the Bills made the playoffs this year, how did it happen?

1. Tyrod takes a big step forward
2. Zay Jones contributes right away
3. NO SIGNIFICANT INJURIES (or suspensions)- this one's big, and also the least likely to happen
4. DL has a monster year due to returning to the 4-3, and leads the league in sacks, making life easy for our DB's
5. Ragland comes in and plays well right away.
6. Clay finally shows up in games that aren't against Miami
7. NE has a rash of injuries starting with Brady and their #2 QB so we actually have a shot at the division.

I'd say at least 5 of those 7 things have to happen in order for us to make the playoffs.

cookie G
07-25-2017, 08:22 PM
After being forced to endure 3 dozen scheme changes in his NFL career, Kyle Williams finally revolted. He told the guys on the field "follow my lead" and lined them in that funky scramble defense Perry Fewell used against the Cowboys.

For the first 5 weeks, McDeadpool led off every press conference with "THAT'S NOT MY DEFENSE!!" But since they haven't given up a TD during all that time, no one really cared when Jerry Hughes held McD's head in a deep fryer for 10 minutes.

They became the first team in NFL history to top 100 sacks for the season and Dack Rambo led the league with 27 ints.

They were also fined a collective $700,000 for looking at Tom Brady the wrong way.

McDeadpool promised changes to the D after the season, saying "it might have been one vision, but it wasn't MY vision".

PS..I just bought a used camera on Ebay to use for the solar eclipse. I wonder if we used the same seller.

stuckincincy
07-25-2017, 09:11 PM
PS..I just bought a used camera on Ebay to use for the solar eclipse. I wonder if we used the same seller.

cookie (heh, I remember "Lookie, lookie, here comes Cookie),

You can also use binoculars to project the image...just block off one of the barrels with anything opaque.

And...

..."If you're watching the eclipse from the path of totality, you should absolutely remove your eclipse glasses during totality. "In fact, if you keep your filters on during totality, you won't see anything" because they block out almost all light, Fienberg said.

However, if you're watching the partial solar eclipse from other parts of the U.S., you'll need to keep them on the entire time. If you take them off, not only do you risk (severely!) burning your eyes, but you also won't be able to see the eclipse.

"A total solar eclipse is truly spectacular and awesome in the true meaning of the word 'awesome,' whereas a partial solar eclipse could pass unnoticed," Fienberg said.

"Even if you do have a solar filter and watch the sun turn into a thin crescent, it's nowhere near as exciting as a total eclipse, because you miss all the really spectacular phenomena that are associated with totality. It doesn't get dark, you don't see the corona, you don't see bright red prominences of gas jetting off from the edge of the sun. It's just not the same at all."

So get to the path of totality if you can. And whatever you do, don't forget to bring the right kind of eye protection!"...

https://www.space.com/36941-solar-eclipse-eye-protection-guide.html

I'm about 270 miles from the totality zone, but alas, I'm too frail to attempt such a journey. But you young folks should do so, if you can.

It's something to add to one's "bucket list." :bigwave:

Mace
07-25-2017, 09:13 PM
McDermott's "lead by example" creates an immediate effect as players show up to run and work out with him in the mornings before practices. "The breakfast club" spearheads a band of brothers bonding that creates a fierce mindset that Rex's street gang ideas could never approach, and the dialogue during the time builds a productive two way communication with a healthy respect for McDermott.

Out from under Wildcat Lee, It so happens Tyrod Taylor does indeed know how to be a pocket passer, having learned from Flacco. It seems they wanted him to look for running lanes, and that was his distraction from passing vision. Dennison is just what the doctor ordered, and frees him to work with a real passing game. Turns out his accuracy is not limited to small ball and occasional long strikes, when he and his receivers get to work the whole range of routes from a clear playbook. The supposedly shaky receiver corps turns out to be a murderers row with anyone capable of seizing a moment, including TE O'Leary supplementing Clay with the position properly used.

This takes nothing from McCoy, DiMarco, Tolbert and the rushing game. With a suddenly formidable passing game to supplement, the rushing game is even better, and red zone drives are not predictable with anything possible. They can bash it in, big play it, or surgically strike. Wow, a complete offense !

Dareus takes to Waufle like Tyson to D'Amato, dominating, Kyle is rejuvenated, Shaq and Hughes are on fire. Forget Tampa-2, Frazier and McDermott concocted a safety nickle version, the db's are all over the place but never outmanned as Brown, Ragland and Hodges seem to be everywhere. Lorenzo in a role always seems to be in the backfield nailing a back or riding a QB to the turf along with the DL. The questionable safeties are not so questionable, Hyde and Poyer thriving as the anchors, Milano even surprising in a tweener role. White at CB doesn't get many INT's, but you don't care because he's a blanket on WR's, Darby sows up big. This D can move, and it hits, and it knows how to tackle.

On ST, Hauschka brings back memories of Steve Christie, who he happened to consult, and doesn't miss in the clutch, and there are clutches. Austin Rehkow took the job from Schmidt and reminds of prime Moorman.

The playoff game is close and down to the wire, the Bills don't win it. But you don't see them hanging their heads. They all walk off together with McDermott, Beane is there, they all carry themselves like men on a mission, eyes fierce for next year. This is only the beginning.

This time, it really is.

cookie G
07-25-2017, 10:07 PM
cookie (heh, I remember "Lookie, lookie, here comes Cookie),

You can also use binoculars to project the image...just block off one of the barrels with anything opaque.

And...

..."If you're watching the eclipse from the path of totality, you should absolutely remove your eclipse glasses during totality. "In fact, if you keep your filters on during totality, you won't see anything" because they block out almost all light, Fienberg said.

We're in the 99.3% partial path, I think...(that's what they said on the news). The totality path begins about 40 miles or so north. Its all rural land so I don't know how bad the traffic will be.

I've already gotten 10 pair of eclipse glasses from American Paper Optics. I've got a sheet of eclipse film from another company on order. That will be for the camera(s).

But that's why I got a cheap camera....

-What I don't know about photgraphy can fill volumes;
-this one has a 15x optical zoom and a 6X digital zoom
-I'll make a lens covering with the solar sheet
-If I screw up and take the solar sheet off too fast during totality, I don't have much invested in the camera.

Or ...I might just sit back and enjoy the show. There are people with far superior photgraphic skills than me who will be capturing it.

jimmifli
07-25-2017, 10:23 PM
After being forced to endure 3 dozen scheme changes in his NFL career, Kyle Williams finally revolted. He told the guys on the field "follow my lead" and lined them in that funky scramble defense Perry Fewell used against the Cowboys.

For the first 5 weeks, McDeadpool led off every press conference with "THAT'S NOT MY DEFENSE!!" But since they haven't given up a TD during all that time, no one really cared when Jerry Hughes held McD's head in a deep fryer for 10 minutes.

They became the first team in NFL history to top 100 sacks for the season and Dack Rambo led the league with 27 ints.

They were also fined a collective $700,000 for looking at Tom Brady the wrong way.

McDeadpool promised changes to the D after the season, saying "it might have been one vision, but it wasn't MY vision".

You get extra points for using the proper tense.

stuckincincy
07-25-2017, 11:15 PM
We're in the 99.3% partial path, I think...(that's what they said on the news). The totality path begins about 40 miles or so north. Its all rural land so I don't know how bad the traffic will be.

I've already gotten 10 pair of eclipse glasses from American Paper Optics. I've got a sheet of eclipse film from another company on order. That will be for the camera(s).

But that's why I got a cheap camera....

-What I don't know about photgraphy can fill volumes;
-this one has a 15x optical zoom and a 6X digital zoom
-I'll make a lens covering with the solar sheet
-If I screw up and take the solar sheet off too fast during totality, I don't have much invested in the camera.

Or ...I might just sit back and enjoy the show. There are people with far superior photgraphic skills than me who will be capturing it.

Cookie, since you are 50 miles away from the totality zone, you simply have to drive there. You won't see the glorious features at 99.5%. That 0.5% will wipe out all the features.

There's no show if you're not observing full totality. As you said, there are people who are good photographers who can do a better job. That may well be true, but no recording is ever the same as seeing a total solar eclipse live with your own eyes!

WagonCircler
07-26-2017, 12:09 AM
3. NO SIGNIFICANT INJURIES (or suspensions)- this one's big, and also the least likely to happen
4. DL has a monster year due to returning to the 4-3, and leads the league in sacks, making life easy for our DB's
7. NE has a rash of injuries starting when Brady, day drinking on a Saturday afternoon, trips over a sunbathing Giselle, breaking his leg in 3 places, missing the entire season.

I felt like we needed to dream more specifically.

Skooby
07-26-2017, 03:07 AM
I felt like we needed to dream more specifically.
Just before the first of 2 games against us, then we can take care of business.

swiper
07-26-2017, 04:59 AM
Who wouldn't mind tripping over Giselle?

SpikedLemonade
07-26-2017, 07:14 AM
Who wouldn't mind tripping over Giselle?

A moron would.

I don't want trip over Giselle....I want to trip into Giselle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKtFx2VBG_Y

Mr. Miyagi
07-26-2017, 11:14 AM
7. NE has a rash of injuries starting with Brady and their #2 QB so we actually have a shot at the division.

I'd say at least 5 of those 7 things have to happen in order for us to make the playoffs.

I can see Zay Jones contributing, unless you mean 900 yards 8 TDs than maybe not, but between him and Holmes I think they'll make OK #2 numbers.

I think our defense will be back to top half of the league. Talent has always been there, returning to 4-3 will be big. Plus we have Lawson and Ragland returning, as if they have two 1s and two 2s in this year's draft. That'll help a lot.

If the offense can stay as good as last year and the defense improves significantly, I don't see any reason we don't make the playoffs.

OpIv37
07-26-2017, 12:29 PM
A moron would.

I don't want trip over Giselle....I want to trip into Giselle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKtFx2VBG_Y

No thanks. She's been tainted with Tom Brady's demon seed.

MidnightVoice
07-26-2017, 02:33 PM

January??

This year??

Mathematical failure in the Tardis due to the (Gasp) female doctor?

jimmifli
07-26-2017, 09:10 PM
Tardis? Mine had a faulty flux capacitor and now some Libyans are trying to kill Shady.

Skooby
07-26-2017, 09:37 PM
Tardis?

My Hespic salad has starting growing and is going to eat me now, son of .......

Historian
07-27-2017, 06:39 AM
The NFL players all go out on a fifteen week strike, except for the Bills.

In a seance with Ralph, he encourages his team from the great beyond, to cross the picket line, because, "The teams that had the most guys cross in '82 made the dance!"

Bills win all sixteen...division...conference and SB.

Don Shula asks for an asterisk to be put next to the Bills in the record book.

Simple.

feldspar
07-27-2017, 07:31 AM
Mathematical failure in the Tardis...

YOU'RE a Tardis!

;)

Joe Fo Sho
07-27-2017, 08:11 AM
All of my playoff scenarios heavily involved Cardale, dang.

YardRat
07-29-2017, 05:41 AM
So the Smoking Man finally kicked off? Jesus, it's about time.

sukie
07-29-2017, 07:29 AM

I saw that time machine. It was version 1.0 and was made in 1991. Your forward leap was correct... playoffs and we lost the Super Bowl.

camelcowboy
07-30-2017, 09:21 AM
I like the tom Brady breaking leg failing over his wife. Maybe a elbow hits her in face and he gets suspended for domestic violence.

BillsImpossible
07-30-2017, 04:24 PM
McDermott's "lead by example" creates an immediate effect as players show up to run and work out with him in the mornings before practices. "The breakfast club" spearheads a band of brothers bonding that creates a fierce mindset that Rex's street gang ideas could never approach, and the dialogue during the time builds a productive two way communication with a healthy respect for McDermott.

Out from under Wildcat Lee, It so happens Tyrod Taylor does indeed know how to be a pocket passer, having learned from Flacco. It seems they wanted him to look for running lanes, and that was his distraction from passing vision. Dennison is just what the doctor ordered, and frees him to work with a real passing game. Turns out his accuracy is not limited to small ball and occasional long strikes, when he and his receivers get to work the whole range of routes from a clear playbook. The supposedly shaky receiver corps turns out to be a murderers row with anyone capable of seizing a moment, including TE O'Leary supplementing Clay with the position properly used.

This takes nothing from McCoy, DiMarco, Tolbert and the rushing game. With a suddenly formidable passing game to supplement, the rushing game is even better, and red zone drives are not predictable with anything possible. They can bash it in, big play it, or surgically strike. Wow, a complete offense !

Dareus takes to Waufle like Tyson to D'Amato, dominating, Kyle is rejuvenated, Shaq and Hughes are on fire. Forget Tampa-2, Frazier and McDermott concocted a safety nickle version, the db's are all over the place but never outmanned as Brown, Ragland and Hodges seem to be everywhere. Lorenzo in a role always seems to be in the backfield nailing a back or riding a QB to the turf along with the DL. The questionable safeties are not so questionable, Hyde and Poyer thriving as the anchors, Milano even surprising in a tweener role. White at CB doesn't get many INT's, but you don't care because he's a blanket on WR's, Darby sows up big. This D can move, and it hits, and it knows how to tackle.

On ST, Hauschka brings back memories of Steve Christie, who he happened to consult, and doesn't miss in the clutch, and there are clutches. Austin Rehkow took the job from Schmidt and reminds of prime Moorman.

The playoff game is close and down to the wire, the Bills don't win it. But you don't see them hanging their heads. They all walk off together with McDermott, Beane is there, they all carry themselves like men on a mission, eyes fierce for next year. This is only the beginning.

This time, it really is.

That was a great post, Mace!

Freaking beautiful.

Skooby
07-30-2017, 05:36 PM

This time, it really is.
Wow, we're living in a dream world if this all comes together.

OpIv37
08-06-2017, 12:53 AM

Let me add one thing to this given recent developments: Bills go 5-1 in the div. Sweep the Jets and Fins, Pats kill us on 12/3 but have the div wrapped up by 12/24 so they don't really try and we win by default.

Generalissimus Gibby
08-06-2017, 03:12 AM

Oh man its awful half the league was found to be in cahoots with Putin to undermine pro football, and the Pats and Fish' planes collided over Pittsburgh and there were no survivors.

coastal
08-06-2017, 11:12 AM
absolutely pathetic.

SpikedLemonade
08-06-2017, 12:09 PM
absolutely pathetic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Ive-dRXVo

jimmifli
09-15-2017, 07:13 PM
It seems like a few of these explanations were off base. So what happened for the rest of the season, how'd we make the playoffs?

Mace
09-15-2017, 07:40 PM
It seems like a few of these explanations were off base. So what happened for the rest of the season, how'd we make the playoffs?

My explanation included Ragland, Hodges and Darby. Without Ragland, Hodges and Darby they don't gel in week 1, they gel in week 4 and then it's off to the races, just without Ragland, Hodges and Darby walking off with the team at the end of the playoff game.

Now get off me, man. You're riding me like a last chance jockey in dutch to Gotti a half length behind down the homestretch at Preakness.

jimmifli
10-01-2017, 04:16 PM
I can see Zay Jones contributing, unless you mean 900 yards 8 TDs than maybe not, but between him and Holmes I think they'll make OK #2 numbers.

I think our defense will be back to top half of the league. Talent has always been there, returning to 4-3 will be big. Plus we have Lawson and Ragland returning, as if they have two 1s and two 2s in this year's draft. That'll help a lot.

If the offense can stay as good as last year and the defense improves significantly, I don't see any reason we don't make the playoffs.

The offense did look OK, but not quite as good as 2016. But the D was better than just top half.

Mace
10-01-2017, 06:31 PM
Told you so, jimmifli. Nyah.

jimmifli
10-01-2017, 07:43 PM
Told you so, jimmifli. Nyah.

Tampa2 looked like RockyII today.

jimmifli
10-22-2017, 07:06 PM
All right, so we're six games in and 4-2. Most didn't see that coming, but remember, the time machine said we'd make the playoffs... so what's it going to take from here?

How are we going to get it done?

YardRat
10-23-2017, 08:01 AM
10 win target.

1-0 in the division (Plus 1)...need 3 wins out of 5 games remaining (Miami 2 NE 2 NYJ 1)...should be doable, and even 2-3 isn't necessarily a killer.
1-1 in the conference (even)...3 and one, or even 2-2, against Raiders, Chiefs, Chargers and Colts...2 home, 2 tough roadies.
2-1 inter-conference (Plus 1)...New Orleans at home. Going Plus-2 here won't help tie-breakers but will help a lot getting to 10 and being in the conversation, at least.

Just above 50-50 ball...6 and 4...for the rest of the year.

Playoffs.

yordad
10-24-2017, 09:47 AM
No thanks. She's been tainted with Tom Brady's demon seed.
That has to be the gayest post I have ever read.

jimmifli
10-24-2017, 01:43 PM
10 win target.

1-0 in the division (Plus 1)...need 3 wins out of 5 games remaining (Miami 2 NE 2 NYJ 1)...should be doable, and even 2-3 isn't necessarily a killer.
1-1 in the conference (even)...3 and one, or even 2-2, against Raiders, Chiefs, Chargers and Colts...2 home, 2 tough roadies.
2-1 inter-conference (Plus 1)...New Orleans at home. Going Plus-2 here won't help tie-breakers but will help a lot getting to 10 and being in the conversation, at least.

Just above 50-50 ball...6 and 4...for the rest of the year.

Playoffs.

I think Brady is going to carve up this defense, not sure we're going 1-1 there. But like you said they have a path without it. Next few weeks is what matters.

Staying healthy on defense is really important, and we'll need to start generating more pressure schematically.