PDA

View Full Version : YRC - Predicting the Bills Veteran Cuts

DraftBoy
07-26-2017, 12:22 PM
https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/7/26/16021190/predicting-buffalo-bills-veteran-cuts-seantrel-henderson-kyle-williams-jerry-hughes

With each new NFL season, established veterans find themselves among the “notable cuts” that come as a surprise to pundits and fans alike. For those veteran players looking to remain with the Buffalo Bills, there’s a new regime in town, adding another layer to the difficulties of making an NFL roster. Buffalo’s roster has already experienced a tremendous amount of change, but the possibility of more still remains.

With that in mind, there are a few veterans on the current 90-man roster who could become former Bills sooner than many of us may have thought. Patrick Lewis, who was released on Tuesday, was initially someone considered for this article; however “he gone” (to quote Chicago White Sox announcer Ken “Hawk” Harrelson). Which veterans will suffer the same fate as Lewis? All contract information comes from Over the Cap unless otherwise noted.

Some...ummm...interesting names in this article...

elroy16
07-26-2017, 12:59 PM
Cutting Kyle to save money seems like a popular "surprise cut" this offseason. My question is, what do they need to save the money for? Is there anyone they need to extend right now? I guess to roll it over to next year, but I don't see it unless his skill/production has dropped off a cliff somehow.

I think Kyle is a mentor and motivator for Dareus. Dareus was definitely happy when Kyle said he was returning. I believe it was Beane (maybe McDermott) who mentioned that they would like Dareus to become more of a leader over time. Thrusting him into that roll by cutting Kyle just seems like a poor decision. Even if Kyle's play dips and he's more of a rotational guy, I keep him on the roster for his leadership.

And yes, I know Kyle and Dareus have been playing together for Marcell's entire career. So yes, by now he shouldn't need Kyle around to help motivate him. That said, I still think it would be better to have Kyle around. Let's try and not turn this into a Dareus bashing thread.

No way Hughes gets cut either, he's the only proven 43 DE on the roster.

Homegrown
07-26-2017, 01:14 PM

Not really ... outside of K Williams there are no interesting names

Besides, Bills aren't going to cut the one high motor White guy on the roster who brings his lunch pail to work every day

DraftBoy
07-26-2017, 02:41 PM
Not really ... outside of K Williams there are no interesting names

Besides, Bills aren't going to cut the one high motor White guy on the roster who brings his lunch pail to work every day

Jerry Hughes wasn't a surprise name to you?

YardRat
07-26-2017, 04:25 PM
Yeah it seems like that list has a few names included perhaps to just get a 'what?!' response. I don't see KW or Hughes going anywhere...or P.Brown for that matter. My 'surprise' cuts would possibly include Colton Schmitt, John Miller and Leonard Johnson.

DraftBoy
07-26-2017, 04:53 PM
Yeah it seems like that list has a few names included perhaps to just get a 'what?!' response. I don't see KW or Hughes going anywhere...or P.Brown for that matter. My 'surprise' cuts would possibly include Colton Schmitt, John Miller and Leonard Johnson.

Of the three you named, I think only Miller would surprise me.

YardRat
07-26-2017, 04:59 PM
Of the three you named, I think only Miller would surprise me.

Schmitt has kind of been building up momentum all off-season as having a target on his back. IMO at this point Johnson is the nickel corner, and I really think the team might be looking for a place in the front 5 for Groy. Miller's spot would be the most logical (or center and move Wood over if he's healthy...still affects Miller) and Ducasse's presence (and versatility) doesn't help JM stick on as a primary back up.

Admittedly I've never had too much success predicting surprise cuts in the past so don't expect the trend to change this season :D

swiper
07-26-2017, 05:42 PM
https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/7/26/16021190/predicting-buffalo-bills-veteran-cuts-seantrel-henderson-kyle-williams-jerry-hughes

So reading that article means what we already knew. Pretty much no one is safe, except McCoy.

Homegrown
07-26-2017, 06:41 PM
Jerry Hughes wasn't a surprise name to you?
Not really. .. he's paid for sacks - got 11 over the past two seasons ....

Mr. Miyagi
07-26-2017, 08:37 PM
There is no chance that Kyle Williams gets cut. None.

TigerJ
07-26-2017, 08:43 PM
I don't see the cap as being a huge factor or the Bills in making cuts at this point. If the Bills cut Schmidt and keep Rehkow it will be because they think Rehkow will be more effective long term if not immediately.

jimmifli
07-26-2017, 09:45 PM
Holmes will be our starting WR, no way he gets cut.

DraftBoy
07-27-2017, 05:43 AM
Holmes will be our starting WR, no way he gets cut.

Agreed.