PDA

View Full Version : My Assessment of Our Special Teams...

BillsMan80
09-15-2002, 11:33 PM
Everyone blames Danny Smith for the Special Teams, however, I am one who doesn't. I am one who thinks that Smith is doing a good job and doing his job, yet the SHODDY tackling on Special Teams is making him look bad. If the Coverage teams would just wrap up guys, Smith would look a whole lot better. All it comes down to is tackling, and that's what we are not doing. Smith has these guys in good position to make plays, and the schemes seem good...it's just the concentration and tackling which is holding us back. Danny Smith cannot make tackles.

NoCtUrNaL
09-15-2002, 11:40 PM
Ultimately the coach is responsible. No he's not the one missing tackles, but his job is to get the players to do their job. Which is pretty simple...tackle the guy with the ball, as soon as possible. Otherwise, what is he getting paid for?

BillsMan80
09-15-2002, 11:42 PM
I do agree with that, but I think that Smith has put the players in a position to make plays, and they have failed to do so...While I am not taking the blame away from Smith, the players deserve most of it for not making the plays.

Kelly The Dog
09-15-2002, 11:45 PM
special teams was a wash today, actually the bills did better than the vikes. They each scored a TD. Vikes had one long punt return. They missed two extra points. We made two 50 yarders and missed a 44.

NoCtUrNaL
09-15-2002, 11:47 PM
Sure, I get as pissed off at the players as anyone when I see them missing tackles on returns, but the coach should be getting even more pissed off then you or I because it's his job and reputation that hangs in the balance.

He needs to motivate his players to do better, put the fear of God in them. Paste their game check on the ball before they punt or kickoff...whatever it takes...get it done.

venis2k1
09-15-2002, 11:54 PM
Spec. Teams showed major improvement this week, what more could you ask for.

NoCtUrNaL
09-15-2002, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by venis2k1
Spec. Teams showed major improvement this week, what more could you ask for.

No kickoff return by the opposing team for more then 30 yards.

No punt return by the opposing team for more then 20 yards.

Hey,....you asked.

SABURZFAN
09-16-2002, 07:08 AM
regardless to who we blame,we still have a long way to go.

Herdwatcher
09-16-2002, 09:54 AM
There is a major problem all must share the blame on. Not only are they not rapping up on their tackles, they are over running the returner every time. you can see a third of the unit go by and take themseleves right out of the play.

Gunzlingr
09-16-2002, 10:01 AM
Tackling was piss poor all around. One play they had Moe Williams stopped for a loss, and he gets away from all our defenders. as Herdwatcher stated, they need to wrap up, not just hit and hope they go down.

WG
09-16-2002, 10:02 AM
Overpursuit is a key word here. That's entirely on the coach. The unit needs training and guidance in that area. Yet none appears to be forthcoming...

Earthquake Enyart
09-16-2002, 10:04 AM
He has too much gum in his mouth. Maybe the players can't understand him.