PDA

View Full Version : Still no #4 QB to replace Cardale Jones

TigerJ
07-27-2017, 04:34 PM
Everybody knows it's fairly typical for NFL teams to have 4 QBs in training camp. The theory is that to give all the receivers, tight ends and running backs enough reps catching the football, the teams needs 4 QBs to spread the load and avoid putting the starter in a position of having his arm fatigued. However, Buffalo went against the grain a few years back (when Manuel was drafted and they wanted to give him lots of reps). Sean McDermott is believed to be interested in having a short and very efficient training camp. Perhaps he thinks that he can give his receivers, tight ends and backs the reps they need without tiring his QBs out. Thoughts? If they do bring in another camp arm, are there any warm bodies out there you'd like to see have a chance in the red white and blue unis?

Night Train
07-27-2017, 05:06 PM
Just watching McDermotts' presser from this afternoon. He's going with 3. Wants to make sure they all get a lot of reps.

Yasgur's Farm
07-27-2017, 05:54 PM
PS QB will be picked up after final cuts.

Albany,n.y.
07-27-2017, 07:42 PM

They don't need a 4th QB on the practice squad. That's done when a team carries 2 QBs, not 3. They have 2 vets & a developmental rookie on the roster. If they wanted a practice squad QB as a 4th QB, they wouldn't have traded Cardale Jones.

TigerJ
07-27-2017, 09:07 PM
Agreed. Odds are Peterman will be the third QB this season, though he's likely to stay on the active roster. The Bills don't need a second developmental guy. There would have to be a compelling reason to pick up an additional youngster.

The Toe Show
07-28-2017, 10:47 AM
Don't forget !

Logan Thomas TE/QB

https://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/285/files/2016/11/8312703-logan-thomas-nfl-arizona-cardinals-san-francisco-49ers-850x560.jpg

Turf
07-28-2017, 10:52 AM
They have to save face anyways and pretend they really liked Cardale. Obviously they didn't think he was any good to give up on a 4th so quickly. They may still get a 4th QB.

Albany,n.y.
07-28-2017, 02:49 PM
They have to save face anyways and pretend they really liked Cardale. Obviously they didn't think he was any good to give up on a 4th so quickly. They may still get a 4th QB.
The guys who picked Cardale are gone-no need to save face by their replacements. Also, they won't get a 4th QB.

Ed
07-28-2017, 02:57 PM
I don't see the need for a 4th qb. The extra reps can just go to Peterman. We're really not talking about that many extra plays, and I'm sure Peterman would welcome them.

TigerJ
07-28-2017, 03:29 PM
Training camp has evolved over the year (as per CBA) so I don't think QB arm fatigue is the issue it was 20 years ago.

YardRat
07-28-2017, 07:39 PM
Kinda messes with the QB-WR drills when they are running routes. I would think two per side gets more WR's more reps.

Mace
07-28-2017, 08:32 PM
Kinda messes with the QB-WR drills when they are running routes. I would think two per side gets more WR's more reps.

That's why they have David Culley as QB coach. He coached QB's at Middle Tennessee State and Southwestern Louisiana in the 1980's so he can step right into the modern pro game to throw some reps some 30 years later without skipping a beat.

stuckincincy
07-28-2017, 10:03 PM
Training camp has evolved over the year (as per CBA) so I don't think QB arm fatigue is the issue it was 20 years ago.

Yep. Too few reps for everybody.

Not enough time for rookies to show their skills and hope to land a job.
Used to be, a rookie, any player, could ask a coach give some extra time to help him out in areas of deficiency, to teach new skills, etc.

Good for the team, good for the young player's prospects.

I've read several times how OL play has deteriorated...the OL is like an orchestra. It takes time to work it out.

jamze132
07-31-2017, 03:42 AM
At least we'll get to see Peterman extensively during the preseason.

YardRat
07-31-2017, 06:09 AM
Good point.

Night Train
07-31-2017, 06:47 AM

What I saw was 2 QB's throwing to WR's in drills on one side of the field while the 3rd QB was under center working in 11 on 11 drills on the other side. Kept rotating. Very organized and no one is getting shorted.

The Jokeman
07-31-2017, 11:49 AM

Now there's just one cut, not staggered cuts. https://ninernoise.com/2017/05/23/nfl-changes-preseason-cut-rule-teams-can-go-straight-90-53-players/

SpikedLemonade
07-31-2017, 12:47 PM
What I saw was 2 QB's throwing to WR's in drills on one side of the field while the 3rd QB was under center working in 11 on 11 drills on the other side. Kept rotating. Very organized and no one is getting shorted.
That makes sense.