PDA

View Full Version : Local Boy John Urschel Retires From Ravens

Night Train
07-27-2017, 05:42 PM
Canisius High Grad getting his Math Doctorate from MIT. Picked that over playing Center for the Ravens.

Wise man.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ravens-player-battling-for-starting-job-retires-from-nfl-to-finish-ph-d-at-mit/

OpIv37
07-27-2017, 06:05 PM
This was big news around Bmore today. He's not a star player- I don't even think he's a starter- but he's a big contributor and a locker room leader.

If he's as smart as they claim he is, he'll be able to make plenty of money without destroying his brain.

Night Train
07-27-2017, 06:11 PM
This was big news around Bmore today. He's not a star player- I don't even think he's a starter- but he's a big contributor and a locker room leader. If he's as smart as they claim he is, he'll be able to make plenty of money without destroying his brain.

He was recently featured in a story on CBS Sunday Morning. After watching it with my wife, (math teacher, MENSA member) looks at me and says " why is he even wasting his time playing football ? " LOL

Guess he finally came to that conclusion. I just told my wife, who remembers the story.

OpIv37
07-27-2017, 06:28 PM
He was recently featured in a story on CBS Sunday Morning. After watching it with my wife, (math teacher, MENSA member) looks at me and says " why is he even wasting his time playing football ? " LOL

Guess he finally came to that conclusion. I just told my wife, who remembers the story.

I work for the Baltimore County School District. He was recently in one of our schools promoting STEM.

Seriously, though, going forward, I see this as a big problem for the NFL. Chris Borland, Urschel in the NFL. Corey Robinson (son of NBA legend David) was a promising young WR for Notre Dame who retired after his junior year due to concussion concerns. And it goes back even farther than that. Jeff Samardzija was a great WR for ND who could have gone to the NFL. The guy is extremely tall and could basically catch any ball that came within an 8 foot radius of him (it was on Sport Science), but he opted for a career in baseball that will be longer, more lucrative, and may destroy his body but won't destroy his brain.

I feel like the floodgates are about to open. There are a lot of parents who won't let their kids play football, including people who played themselves and current NFL players. The lawsuits may start mounting. For decades, our best athletes have played football, but I don't know how much longer that will continue.

Night Train
07-27-2017, 06:53 PM
I work for the Baltimore County School District. He was recently in one of our schools promoting STEM.

Seriously, though, going forward, I see this as a big problem for the NFL. Chris Borland, Urschel in the NFL. Corey Robinson (son of NBA legend David) was a promising young WR for Notre Dame who retired after his junior year due to concussion concerns. And it goes back even farther than that. Jeff Samardzija was a great WR for ND who could have gone to the NFL. The guy is extremely tall and could basically catch any ball that came within an 8 foot radius of him (it was on Sport Science), but he opted for a career in baseball that will be longer, more lucrative, and may destroy his body but won't destroy his brain.

I feel like the floodgates are about to open. There are a lot of parents who won't let their kids play football, including people who played themselves and current NFL players. The lawsuits may start mounting. For decades, our best athletes have played football, but I don't know how much longer that will continue.

I wouldn't be surprised in the NFL is shut down by the courts down the road. Too much info coming out.

$ will NOT win out.

Thurmal
07-27-2017, 06:58 PM
My guess is the ton of money and trim can be pretty enticing.

Night Train
07-27-2017, 07:03 PM
My guess is the ton of money and trim can be pretty enticing.

I'm guessing " Liquor and Whores " by the Trailer Park Boys isn't on his ipod.

Albany,n.y.
07-27-2017, 07:40 PM

Edit: My bad, it wasn't 60 Minutes, it was HBO's Real Sports: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5FNHE_EcRA

OpIv37
07-27-2017, 07:48 PM
I wouldn't be surprised in the NFL is shut down by the courts down the road. Too much info coming out.

$ will NOT win out.

I don't see the courts shutting them down. I see them paying out big money but trying to get by with modified rules and equipment. The game will become so boring that no one will watch and they'll eventually fold. It's not gonna happen tomorrow, but maybe in the next 20-30 years, unless science invents a concussion-proof helmet and/or the ability to regenerate brain cells.

psubills62
07-27-2017, 11:06 PM
Former Penn State player. Read that he was influenced by the CTE study that just came out a few days ago. Conveniently also has played exactly 3 seasons, which is what you need to earn the lifetime pension from the NFL. Along with the Math Ph.D he will get from MIT, he's pretty well set. Said he's expecting a baby with his fiance.

I do remember that he was asked previously why he plays football when he has such an aptitude for math. He said he simply enjoyed playing, enjoyed hitting. Guess he didn't enjoy it quite that much.