• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

YRC - Sammy Watkins - "I've got to earn it"

Bills head coach Sean McDermott said before the team’s first practice Thursday that they would manage wide receiver Sammy Watkins’ reps as he continues to come back from offseason foot surgery.

If his reps were limited in any way, it was tough to tell. Watkins got a healthy dose of work in both individual and team sessions in front of a sold out St. John Fisher crowd.

The fourth-year wideout comes into 2017 looking to finally put his lengthy injury history behind him. And he has plenty of incentive to do it after the team declined to pick up his fifth-year option for 2018, making him a free agent at the end of this season.

It’s easy to think Watkins would be upset about the situation and feel the team is doubting him. But, the former fourth-overall pick says he understands and has to earn what he gets.

“I haven’t even put in thought about it,” he said. “My job is to go out there and try to catch as many touchdowns and balls and help this team win. Everything else will play out and I have got to earn it.
    Good to see that he has the right mentality moving forward after the Bills declined his 5th year option.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Re: YRC - Sammy Watkins - "I've got to earn it"

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
    http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/...ve-got-earn-it

As it stands I have less than a 10% chance he resigns here.

Good to see that he has the right mentality moving forward after the Bills declined his 5th year option.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Bill Cody
      • Sep 2004

When he says "I have nothing to prove" he won't have many agreeing with that statement whether it be based on production or his ability to stay healthy. He has a lot to prove in my opinion.

Comment

• Ed
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
        When he says "I have nothing to prove" he won't have many agreeing with that statement whether it be based on production or his ability to stay healthy. He has a lot to prove in my opinion.
        I think he means he doesn't have anything to prove to himself as far as ability. He knows he can play at a high level. His quote was, "I have nothing to prove. I know what I'm capable of doing." He also said, "I just got to stay healthy and go in there and play."

As long as Sammy doesn't get hurt I think he has a big year.

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Good. I hope he has a little bit of a chip on his shoulder too.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
          X