PDA

View Full Version : Shaq Lawson

YardRat
07-29-2017, 04:36 AM
I really think this kid is going to have a break-out year and be every bit the player, maybe even better, that Mario was under Jim Schwartz. Hughes and Lawson are going to be a nasty tandem...as long as KW stays healthy and Dareus stays out of trouble, by the end of the season the Buffalo D-line will once again be in the discussion for best in the league.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/07/buffalo_bills_training_camp_observations_day_2_shaq_lawson_gets_going.html

The Bills' defensive line was getting quite the push on Friday afternoon. Jerry Hughes got into the backfield for a sack and Shaq Lawson picked up multiple sacks during practice. Of course, pads haven't come on yet, so it's tough to get a true evaluation of the linemen. That said, the defensive line has an early edge on the offensive line, and as was feared, right tackle looks like a bit of a weakness.

Goobylal
07-29-2017, 06:17 AM
And that right there is why I never wanted Rex because I knew he would go to the 3-4 and basically emasculate the strength of the bills defense. Now if they can just get the right combination of linebackers and secondary players

DraftBoy
07-29-2017, 06:41 AM
Being back in a 43 should be a good thing for the whole DL. There were never suited for a 34 move.

ParanoidAndroid
07-29-2017, 09:27 AM
The linebackers are going to be the Achilles Heel of this defense. Frazier needed an All-Pro D-line (Jared Allen, Kevin Williams, Pat Williams, Ray Edwards) along with E.J. Henderson and Chad Greenway to crack the top 10. We don't have one LB on that level. We are soft in the middle unless Micah Hyde can play out of his mind.

Mace
07-29-2017, 06:19 PM
I still don't think it's accurate to say the Bills were a 3-4, often they lined up 5-2 then were expected to read and react into roles at the snap. To me, it's simple enough saying "Ryan hybrid", which was solved and irrelevant in any case, and crippled by Ryan's lack of flexibility in running it.

I liked the Shaq Lawson pick at that spot, would make it every time. I wasn't expecting him to be a monstrous DE beast ala Mario when he felt like it, or dominating like Bruce Smith, but rather a constantly very good one who can come up big in timely moments and rarely makes mistakes to get victimized on plays. Reliably very good.

Then again, Waufle the DL coach. I love that hire. If a player buys in, I think Waufle elevates his game and brings out the best potential.

Looking forward to defense again.

Mouldsie
07-29-2017, 10:13 PM
He will be much better in this scheme and if it's true that he's got an actual NFL body now... that's great news for us!

YardRat
07-30-2017, 06:29 AM
Dropped fat...added muscle...might be playing at 265-269 instead of 280. Between he and Hughes...QB's beware.

Historian
07-30-2017, 06:52 AM
Dropped fat...added muscle...might be playing at 265-269 instead of 280. Between he and Hughes...QB's beware.

Is that a good thing?

he looked very thin on the news.

Kinda resembled a Tight End.

YardRat
07-30-2017, 12:38 PM
Is that a good thing?

he looked very thin on the news.

Kinda resembled a Tight End.

As long as he didn't sacrifice any upper-body strength I don't see it being an issue. 43 DE's don't need to be heavy-assed to set an edge or stand up an olinemen and hold ground at the point of attack.

Mouldsie
07-30-2017, 01:22 PM
He used to be pudgy and soft looking so this can only be a good thing.

WagonCircler
07-30-2017, 07:33 PM

I remember another guy like that. Same position. First rounder. Mid Eighties. Was pudgy, then discovered the Stairmaster.

It'll come to me....

Goobylal
07-30-2017, 07:35 PM
The DL is going to go back to being a force.

OpIv37
07-30-2017, 08:36 PM
Kyle, Dareus and Hughes have proven they can dominate in the 4-3. This is the perfect scenario for Shaq. He's got 3 proven vets to take the attention and pressure off. I see no reason why he won't excel (and if he does and teams start doubling him, well, it's gonna let Hughes run free).

jamze132
07-31-2017, 03:33 AM
I love the Waufel hire and I think he could really get to the younger guys trying to make the team but I think his aggressive demeanor is going to turn some vets off. I can see Dareus' work ethic be challenged.

sukie
07-31-2017, 08:54 AM
I remember another guy like that. Same position. First rounder. Mid Eighties. Was pudgy, then discovered the Stairmaster.

It'll come to me....

Until you said mid eighties and stair master, I thought you were going "Full Maybin" on us.

JoeMama
07-31-2017, 09:02 AM
Until you said mid eighties and stair master, I thought you were going "Full Maybin" on us.

I thought he was going Richard Simmons!

WagonCircler
07-31-2017, 11:06 AM

Definitely different position.

swiper
07-31-2017, 12:25 PM

He works only with the Browns.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_tNOND6_o1Sg/TFAeotqFqfI/AAAAAAAAAi0/A11phkNZLd4/s1600/RichardSimmons_football.jpg

elroy16
07-31-2017, 02:16 PM

Maybin was 249 at the combine and needed to add weight.

sukie
07-31-2017, 02:17 PM
Maybin was 249 at the combine and needed to add weight.

I know he was way too thin so why isn't Lawson?

elroy16
07-31-2017, 02:35 PM
I know he was way too thin so why isn't Lawson?

Why isn't Lawson too thin? Because he weighs 20 more lbs that Maybin?

I don't think we're on the same page.

Yasgur's Farm
07-31-2017, 02:40 PM
Maybin went from college playing weight of ~225 to combine weight of 250. That formula doesn't work.

However, going from 280 to 265 is awesome.

jamze132
07-31-2017, 08:30 PM
Shaq's weight isn't an issue at all for a 4-3 DE asked to get after the QB. A heavier DE in a 3-4 who has to set the edge he is not.

stuckincincy
08-01-2017, 10:23 PM
The linebackers are going to be the Achilles Heel of this defense. Frazier needed an All-Pro D-line (Jared Allen, Kevin Williams, Pat Williams, Ray Edwards) along with E.J. Henderson and Chad Greenway to crack the top 10. We don't have one LB on that level. We are soft in the middle unless Micah Hyde can play out of his mind.

I believe Hyde is a safety.

I like the DL, but the DB corps concerns me more than the LB corps.

Goobylal
08-02-2017, 09:25 AM
I believe Hyde is a safety.

I like the DL, but the DB corps concerns me more than the LB corps.

If White can reasonably replace Gilmore, the secondary should be fine.

Buddo
08-02-2017, 01:14 PM
If White can reasonably replace Gilmore, the secondary should be fine.

Assuming they can find good safety play.

I like the general talent of the CBs, and think they will be okay, but Hyde aside, I'm not at all convinced we have enough quality at safety.

Arm of Harm
08-02-2017, 03:28 PM
If your players don't yet fully know what they're doing, there will often be a tendency for your defense to dominate your offense. That's especially true if you have a simple defense which unleashes your DL to go after the quarterback. My impression is also that the OL has a new blocking scheme?

At this point, it's no surprise to see our DL dominate our OL in practice. That doesn't mean that our DL are great or our OL are chopped liver. A month from now, the competition between DL and OL will probably be a lot less one-sided than what we're currently seeing.

Goobylal
08-02-2017, 04:19 PM
Assuming they can find good safety play.

I like the general talent of the CBs, and think they will be okay, but Hyde aside, I'm not at all convinced we have enough quality at safety.

I think Poyer will be a decent player, and I like that they re-signed Rambo.