PDA

View Full Version : The final 53-Interior O-line

YardRat
07-31-2017, 05:49 AM
I'm breaking the o-line into two threads. Today = centers and guards.

Very different from years past, and the outside positions on the unit, the team actually has almost an embarrassment of riches on the interior of the oline. Nothing to talk of after the primary back-ups, really, but that's unnecessary except under a situation of devastating and all-encompassing injuries to all of the positions. IMO they keep five interior linemen...Wood, Groy, Miller, Incognito and Ducasse.

Under a different staff, in all honesty, I might actually expect Wood to get cut. But, barring him suffering an early season-ending injury I think McD values leadership and character and despite less than ideal abilities for a top-notch center Wood is a team guy and a decent enough player that he brings value to the team. Incognito has been the team's best olineman the last couple of seasons. John Miller = good run, poor pass pro, but early signs are that he is improving. Ducasse is depth only.

Ryan Groy may end up being the best player in this group...maybe the entire oline...and the three starters are going to have to bust their ass to keep him from taking one of their spots. I could easily see the starting interior be Incognito-Groy-Miller or (more likely) Incognito-Wood-Groy on opening day.

TigerJ
07-31-2017, 08:24 AM
I can't disagree with that assessment. Wood might be kind of expensive for what he is, but he's still a decent player, and Miller is still young enough that it's safe to assume some improvement from him still. The interior of the line is decent to quite good and plenty deep IMO.

DraftBoy
07-31-2017, 11:05 AM
My primary concern with the OL is the move to a more ZBS scheme. That would seem to favor a lighter and quicker guard like Miller and be a detriment to a heavier and power guard like Incognito. Now Incognito has proven me wrong and been a great addition since signing here, but I am curious to see how the interior OL plays in a new scheme.

Early camp reports have had the whole OL leaking like a sieve.

jimmifli
07-31-2017, 01:50 PM
My primary concern with the OL is the move to a more ZBS scheme. That would seem to favor a lighter and quicker guard like Miller and be a detriment to a heavier and power guard like Incognito. Now Incognito has proven me wrong and been a great addition since signing here, but I am curious to see how the interior OL plays in a new scheme.

I've read that about half of Roman's plays were zone blocking, no idea if that stayed the same under Lynn but I don't think he changed scheme or plays just the playcalling.

Also no idea if the Roman zone blocking had different considerations, but how much different can it be?

Also Incognito can pull well so we know he's pretty mobile, he should be fine in any scheme. I'd be more worried about Father Time, eventually that dude catches up with everyone.

Mace
07-31-2017, 03:58 PM
Regarding the scheme,for what it's worth :

With a new coaching staff, schemes are expected to be altered. Bills offensive coordinator Rick Dennison fortunately runs a similar scheme to what was in Buffalo last season. Wood acknowledged that it was more of a zone-blocking scheme which is usually friendly for the offensive line without many surprises. Zone blocking also makes it harder for defenses to read the offensive line as many of the run and pass plays will look the same up front. Bills defensive linemen Kyle Williams (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/24761/kyle-williams) told Wood that this offense is, “the hardest offense to go against in the league.”

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/7/30/16061432/eric-wood-contract-extension-buffalo-bills

Night Train
07-31-2017, 05:04 PM

???

I did not see these jailbreaks this weekend.. They had their moments but the swinging door reports are over the top. Taylor hit many nice passes and the running game saw McCoy making several big runs.

Yates held the ball too long several times... Whatever.

https://media.giphy.com/media/xrft8W37ZR1Je/200.gif

SpikedLemonade
07-31-2017, 05:10 PM

Yup.

If we had a decent alternative, Eric Wood would get cut.

DraftBoy
07-31-2017, 05:55 PM
I've read that about half of Roman's plays were zone blocking, no idea if that stayed the same under Lynn but I don't think he changed scheme or plays just the playcalling.

Also no idea if the Roman zone blocking had different considerations, but how much different can it be?

Also Incognito can pull well so we know he's pretty mobile, he should be fine in any scheme. I'd be more worried about Father Time, eventually that dude catches up with everyone.

If I recall correctly, and I'm not sure I am, when Lynn took over he basically took the scheme and paired it way down including the run blocking concepts. How much did he simplify it? We'll likely never know.

I don't believe there is a ton of variation within zone blocking schemes, but I could be way off.

Good point about Incognito's pulling ability.

YardRat
07-31-2017, 06:01 PM
"pared"

Mace
07-31-2017, 06:53 PM
"pared"

I wish you people would stop this senseless brawling.

YardRat
07-31-2017, 08:20 PM
Hey, you forked him once...that doesn't mean you own him.

DraftBoy
07-31-2017, 09:26 PM
I have feelings you know...

SpikedLemonade
08-01-2017, 09:13 AM
I have feelings you know...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxhwM06lLUs