PDA

View Full Version : The final 53-Offensive Tackle

YardRat
08-01-2017, 05:53 AM
Yeesh. The squads 'yin' to the interior's 'yang'. The flanks of the oline are pretty simply put, at this point, a hot mess.

Glenn is 'good', but apparently may never reach any kind of elite level of play. And he's the best of the bunch, by far.
Henderson shows skills and promise, but a myriad of issues keep holding him back.
Mills is weak, especially in pass pro. He just doesn't have the feet or punch to be even a stable if unimpressive presence on the right side.
Dawkins is a rookie, with the dreaded 'potential'. Still way early for him, I think we're all hoping he catches on in TC and is manning that side come opening day.
Ola and Jefferson? Not counting on either of these to 'come out of nowhere'.

What a cluster****.

I was never a proponent of moving Glenn to the right side, but in all honesty after watching KuJo a little bit last season subbing for him IMO the team's best bet for this season and moving forward might have been overlooking the 'look at me standing in a cornfield with no pants!' incident and giving Koundijo one more shot.

Henderson starts out missing the first five (?) games this season, so really I see the team using three spots initially on OT's (Glenn, Mills, Dawkins) and adding Henderson to the mix when he becomes eligible.

DraftBoy
08-01-2017, 07:05 AM
Yeesh. The squads 'yin' to the interior's 'yang'. The flanks of the oline are pretty simply put, at this point, a hot mess.

Glenn is 'good', but apparently may never reach any kind of elite level of play. And he's the best of the bunch, by far.
Henderson shows skills and promise, but a myriad of issues keep holding him back.
Mills is weak, especially in pass pro. He just doesn't have the feet or punch to be even a stable if unimpressive presence on the right side.
Dawkins is a rookie, with the dreaded 'potential'. Still way early for him, I think we're all hoping he catches on in TC and is manning that side come opening day.
Ola and Jefferson? Not counting on either of these to 'come out of nowhere'.

What a cluster****.

I was never a proponent of moving Glenn to the right side, but in all honesty after watching KuJo a little bit last season subbing for him IMO the team's best bet for this season and moving forward might have been overlooking the 'look at me standing in a cornfield with no pants!' incident and giving Koundijo one more shot.

Henderson starts out missing the first five (?) games this season, so really I see the team using three spots initially on OT's (Glenn, Mills, Dawkins) and adding Henderson to the mix when he becomes eligible.

Depending on how they feel about Ducasse I could see them carrying 3 or 4 OT's out of camp. If they think Ducasse can work some at RT in a punch they may only go with three. If they don't then I could see Ola sticking around.

k-oneputt
08-01-2017, 07:56 AM
I would rather just put Dawkins in there at rt starting today and leave him there. Let him learn as he goes. he was drafted for that reason, why wait. He can't possibly be any worse then Mills

jimmifli
08-01-2017, 08:34 AM
Glenn is a very good run blocker, even better in space. Remember him leading screens for Fred and CJ under Chan's scheme? He also "pulled" from the OT spot under Roman (is it still called pulling when you're not a guard?). Or he can just simply mash the man in front of him when called to do so.

He's good in pass protection, but can do it all run blocking.

TigerJ
08-01-2017, 04:32 PM
I think the thing to remember is the offensive line was not terrible last season. It was pretty good, in fact. The questions the team faces at offensive tackle are mostly questions dealing with the prospect of getting better. I don't think many actually anticipate it being worse. Yeah, if Cordy Glenn goes down early in the season (while Henderson is suspended) the Bills will be in a it of a pickle, but otherwise, I think the odds of a decline in play are pretty small. Dawkins is not ready yet to play like an established veteran, but whether it's Mills or Dawkins on the right, I think the Bills will be OK until Dawkins can work through his rookie jitters.

Night Train
08-01-2017, 05:13 PM
They can still run the ball behind these stiffs.

Try getting some good QB play and all will look shiny and bright.

jimmifli
08-03-2017, 09:04 PM
A little worried about what happens if Cordy is still injured...

YardRat
08-04-2017, 05:37 AM
Apparently so is McDermott

TigerJ
08-04-2017, 08:34 PM
Cordy Glenn's lingering ankle issues are certainly going to have an impact on what the Bills do. Henderson has a suspension to start the season, and Glenn may not be healthy, especially if he needs surgery. I think that means Dion Dawkins is the next man up on the left. That, of course, means any hope of replacing Mills on the right is probably on hold. Any other RT on the team is essentially a scrub until proven otherwise.