PDA

View Full Version : Empire's Gone in Ra Cha Cha!!??

superbills
07-31-2003, 07:16 PM
:confused2 Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, but I went to cancel Digital Cable today because we never watch any of those useless channels anyway, and the "kind" folks at Time Warner were asking me how they could get me to stay; free movie channels, free months of digital, and "oh, sir, do you watch the Empire Sports Network?" "Why yes" I said hesitantly. "Well, you'll need digital cable for THAT!" I was stunned. They notified nobody about this! I mean, we had heard rumors, but this blows. And, sure enough, we now have the jovial Hallmark Channel on channel 52. How quaint. Anyway, I told her to bugger off anyway. I'm moving back to Buffalo at the end of next month. THANK GOD! I'll finally be in a place where I can get a dish, too. Screw cable. Sorry Rochester sports fans. I know Empire is not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it's nice to get the extra coverage of the local teams and, of course the Sabres games. Actually, I was thinking of opening a DirectTV distributorship in Rochester...:)

The_Philster
07-31-2003, 07:19 PM
Time Warner is doing that everywhere, it seems :down: Happened in Jamestown as well

superbills
07-31-2003, 07:23 PM
Rochester :rocket: Time Warner

don137
07-31-2003, 08:20 PM
If they offered you free months of digital cable why didn't you take it and then at least you would have it until you moved and wouldn't have to pay anything? :scratch:

Ebenezer
07-31-2003, 08:40 PM
won't matter, Empire's days could very well be numbered. It will be interesting. All that Adelphia has to offer subscribers that they cannot get elsewhere, cheaper, is Empire and weather on the 8's. If they lose Empire they are screwed...and the simple truth is that they don't know what to do with Empire.

superbills
07-31-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by don137
If they offered you free months of digital cable why didn't you take it and then at least you would have it until you moved and wouldn't have to pay anything? :scratch:

I just want to get rid of it now. We don't watch any of the digital channels and it's less to worry about when we move. We get free basic service from our apartment complex so we'll have no cable bill at all for the last month we're here.

superbills
07-31-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
won't matter, Empire's days could very well be numbered. It will be interesting. All that Adelphia has to offer subscribers that they cannot get elsewhere, cheaper, is Empire and weather on the 8's. If they lose Empire they are screwed...and the simple truth is that they don't know what to do with Empire.

I don't care about Empire as an entity as much as I care about seeing Sabres games on TV and I think Howard Simon does a pretty good job with the postgame show after Bills games. Other than that, FanTV and the Simoncast and all that is just fluff to me. The Sabres games are what concern me the most.

bills_phan
08-01-2003, 12:36 AM
That's it, I'm sick of Time Warner's crap. I'm going to DirectTV.

The_Philster
08-01-2003, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by bills_phan

I may be doing the same thing in time. Even my roadrunner doesn't seem to be running as well as it used to.

Aero II
08-01-2003, 06:03 AM
won't matter, Empire's days could very well be numbered.
I hope that if Empire does go, that someone is able to work a deal with Fox Sports Net to keep some coverage in WNY. In one of the flyers on DirecTV, they listed EMPIRE first for the sports pack as the "Most Popular" of the channels on the sports package. At least fans of WNY sports are vocal.

RIGHT?

Aero II
08-01-2003, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster

I may be doing the same thing in time. Even my roadrunner doesn't seem to be running as well as it used to.

That's probobly due to a large number of people in your area using RR. The more users in a radius of a switching station, the slower that area will be, or something like that.

I think I am one of a very few people in my area using RR and my connection speed is faster than what I have a work.

Ebenezer
08-01-2003, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Aero II
At least fans of WNY sports are vocal.

RIGHT?

no, we never say a thing.

Earthquake Enyart
08-01-2003, 06:50 AM
I love Empire. If Hockey Hotline goes away, I'll :wail:

Voltron
08-01-2003, 07:44 AM
For those of you going to Dish. Have fun putting up that ugly antenna on your roof so you can see the local channels. Say good-bye to NBC, ABC, CBS, UPN, WB, and FOX. Remember Cable keeps good paying Union Jobs in your area, it takes all the risk with the hardware, and last time I had a thunderstorm I could still watch TV.

Ebenezer
08-01-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Voltron
For those of you going to Dish. Have fun putting up that ugly antenna on your roof so you can see the local channels. Say good-bye to NBC, ABC, CBS, UPN, WB, and FOX. Remember Cable keeps good paying Union Jobs in your area, it takes all the risk with the hardware, and last time I had a thunderstorm I could still watch TV.

Direct TV has the locals available. BTW, I don't think the Adelphia employees in this area are unionized...and my direct has gone out fewer times than my Dad's cable.

Voltron
08-01-2003, 08:00 AM
Eb I worked for Adelphia and believe me they are Unionized and even if they weren't so what. It is still money being put into the local economy instead of it all going to Colorado Springs. And the Lord knows with the unemployment rate that Rochester has right now that is the last thing it needs.
Direct TV offers locals? Last time I checked you had to be outside of antenna range for direct TV to give you the locals. and they check via a map by your street address.

Earthquake Enyart
08-01-2003, 08:11 AM
You can get local channels, but you have to pay extra.

Dozerdog
08-01-2003, 08:23 AM
EE is correct. For the past 2 years they have added and are expanding the local channels- I think the top 40-50 cities now have locals- including Buffalo.

It's a shame they will only give you the locals for your area- I'd pay to get local Buffalo news here in Mass.

Ebenezer
08-01-2003, 08:44 AM
Eb I worked for Adelphia and believe me they are Unionized and even if they weren't so what. It is still money being put into the local economy instead of it all going to Colorado Springs. And the Lord knows with the unemployment rate that Rochester has right now that is the last thing it needs.
Direct TV offers locals? Last time I checked you had to be outside of antenna range for direct TV to give you the locals. and they check via a map by your street address.

I stand corrected on the union issue...but you can get the locals in Buffalo on Direct.

bills_phan
08-01-2003, 09:16 AM
Maybe they should have thought about all of this before yanking Empire. I'm thinking back, and the only reason I ever got cable in the first place was so that I could watch Sabres games. Now they want me to pay even more every month, but hey, at least I get the friggin Hallmark channel! Thanks a lot Time Warner! Could you please stick it up our a$$es a little further, I think there's still room!

Time Warner sucks my left nut!

doug45
08-01-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

How much extra for the locals? I told my local Time -Warner people I was dumpimg them for a dish now that Empire is gone.

Aero II
08-01-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by doug45

How much extra for the locals? I told my local Time -Warner people I was dumpimg them for a dish now that Empire is gone.
$5/month.

In my area, I now have ALL the local channels. ABC,CBS, NBC, FOX + UPN, WB, PBS, 2 all religion channels and 2 Spanish ones.

Earthquake Enyart
08-01-2003, 09:56 AM
It's more like $7 or $8 / month here for the locals.

Voltron
08-01-2003, 10:00 AM

You can only get local channels if you live in a Metro area they service. Other than those 50 places you are SOL. wow thats a good job of customer service.

Here is the link (http://www.directtv.com/DTVAPP/LocalChannelsAction.do) to see if you can get local channel service. If your zipcode is not included then you are stuck with a big ugly antenna and crappy reception depending on where you live.

Voltron
08-01-2003, 10:04 AM
I don't care, don't support the local worker. Keep giving money to a company who get preferential treatment from the FCC. I am just worried about the middle income Installer or Technician in your area who has kids and a home in your neighborhood.

doug45
08-01-2003, 10:09 AM
I wouldn't care if it was $10.00 a month extra for the locals. With the dish package I was looking at it was still less then cable by far.

Voltron
08-01-2003, 10:12 AM
Yeah doug for the first year. What you don't see unless you read the fine print is the fact that next year your bill goes up over $20 amonth for the same package.

Earthquake Enyart
08-01-2003, 10:37 AM
I paid someone to put the dish up. I don't think he was from Canada.

Hey, whoever has NFL Sunday Ticket.....that's where I'll be.

Aero II
08-01-2003, 10:42 AM
It's more like $7 or $8 / month here for the locals.
Then you're getting screwed.
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packages/base.jsp
It's $5 more for Total Choice, $2 more for Plus and Premier.

Michael82
08-01-2003, 11:10 AM
Or you could always get those "special" cards.... :snicker:

I.....errr...I mean one of my friends has then. :evil:

:ontome:

Ebenezer
08-01-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Mike32282
Or you could always get those "special" cards.... :snicker:

I.....errr...I mean one of my friends has then. :evil:

:ontome:

Rumor is that DirectTV is "burning them out" as of last night...

btw, locals here are $2.

Michael82
08-01-2003, 11:29 AM
Rumor is that DirectTV is "burning them out" as of last night...

btw, locals here are $2.

They burn them out all the time. That's why you have to keep refreshing them. :snicker:

Halbert
08-01-2003, 11:33 AM
The yanking of Empire is the last straw for me. I'm going to seriously look into DirectTV.

I've always been a cable customer so I know nothing about it. The last time I tried to look into it (2-3 years ago) it was too confusing so I dropped it. Can somebody outline what the tradeoffs are? What will I lose, if anything, by going to satellite? Are the channel lineups basically the same?

I just get the basic package - here in Rochester it's channels 2-67. No movie channels, no radio stations, etc.

superbills
08-01-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Halbert
The yanking of Empire is the last straw for me. I'm going to seriously look into DirectTV.

I've always been a cable customer so I know nothing about it. The last time I tried to look into it (2-3 years ago) it was too confusing so I dropped it. Can somebody outline what the tradeoffs are? What will I lose, if anything, by going to satellite? Are the channel lineups basically the same?

I just get the basic package - here in Rochester it's channels 2-67. No movie channels, no radio stations, etc.

Well, you will, for starters, lose some freedom. You'll have to sign a yearly contract for satellite. But what you gain is much more. ALL of the channels are digital, none of this "digital tier" crap, and you CAN get the Sunday Ticket, which NO cable system offers. Most of the rest is a wash. Both services have their outages, there will be give and take in channel offerings, but in the end DirecTV just simply offers a better product. And it's not any more complicated than cable. They have a basic package and then you start to tack on your premiums.

:xplode: BTW, I don't want to hear this garbage about ugly equipment. Last time I checked that green box on my neighbor's lawn wasn't brightening the community any. And I do not feel sorry for the union workers. Offer a better product and stop screwing your customers and then I will appreciate your service. That's the beauty of Capitalism. We have alternatives to those who choose to be inferior and feel they can do no wrong because they "support the local economy". If you don't like it, I hear Canada is nice this time of year.

lordofgun
08-01-2003, 11:57 PM
Empire's only $4/month extra on TW cable....cheaper than the dish if you already have digital. With the dish, you pay as much as $12/mo. for Empire.

I have the dish, but only for Sunday Ticket. I couldn't stand having to keep TWC's lifeline service or hooking up an antenna to get my locals.

Historian
08-02-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by bills_phan

Get a dish, Its well worth it. Then you will be all set up for the NFL channel in November too.

Ebenezer
08-02-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Halbert

problem is that if you live in buffalo and want to see the sabres you can't because the games are blocked out if they don't sell out.