• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ckg927
    Not quite Best in the World....
    • Aug 2012

Terry Pegula: Concussions? They're no big deal

Mr. Pegula: You might want to ask the families of all those players, past and present, who are still dealing with the health issues related to concussions.

Maybe they should include YOUR OWN PLAYERS, whom you pay major money to play football.

Apparently, Terry didn't get the memo from the commish: "Let ME take the rap for sitting on my butt when it comes to concussions."

Commissioner Roger Goodell gets paid millions in part because he often provides public cover for the billionaires lurking behind the curtain.
    John Hemingway(facing certain death): I want to see Buffalo win the Super Bowl.
    David Coltrane(threatening John): Nobody's going to live that long, pal.

-The John Larroquette Show, "A Dark and Stormy Night", 4/12/94
  • feldspar
    • Mar 2007

Re: Terry Pegula: Concussions? They're no big deal

Where doe he say they're no big deal?

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

He didn't say they were 'no big deal'.

Please don't ***** about fake news if you are going to practice it yourself.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
        My battery is low and it's getting dark.
        • Apr 2004

Inferring that they are not unique to football is not the same thing as inferring that concussions are, in your words, "no big deal."

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

I'm sensing a theme in the responses to this thread.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

He also said Asian women are hot.

I know he did at some point !
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• ckg927
              • Aug 2012

Maybe I should have chosen my words a bit more carefully.

Look down in paragraph 3 of the link. To me, at least, Pegs is saying that it isn't a big deal....or, at the very least, minimized it.

"Concussions happen in all parts of society. It happens in every sport. You can be driving your car down the road and get a concussion in an accident. I don't want to discuss the relevance of it in the football world."

Too damned bad, Terry. We've having that discussion now. Whether you want to OR NOT. You bear the ultimate responsibility for the health of the players who are destined to be colliding not just during games but in practices as well. The league your team is a part of has been dragged, kicking and screaming, into this discussion. Up until 2009, the NFL never talked about CTEs and concussions. At least not publicly.

Comment

• Goobylal
                • Jan 2004

At this point, every player should know about the dangers of concussions. Most of them don't care because they want the fame, fortune and trappings of being highly paid professional athletes. If they don't care, why should anyone else?

Comment

• feldspar
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ckg927 View Post

Too damned bad, Terry. We've having that discussion now. Whether you want to OR NOT. You bear the ultimate responsibility for the health of the players who are destined to be colliding not just during games but in practices as well. The league your team is a part of has been dragged, kicking and screaming, into this discussion. Up until 2009, the NFL never talked about CTEs and concussions. At least not publicly.
                  ActuallY, YOU the consumer are ultimately responsible, ckg.

Pegula said that he didn't want to discuss it publicly. WTF difference would it make what he says to a reporter, anyway?

Concussions are going to happen. If you care THAT delay, then do your part by stop watching the sport.

Comment

• Novacane
                    • Jul 2002

The thread title was not a case of "Maybe I should have chosen my words a bit more carefully." It was an outright lie!

Comment

• ckg927
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
                      At this point, every player should know about the dangers of concussions. Most of them don't care because they want the fame, fortune and trappings of being highly paid professional athletes. If they don't care, why should anyone else?
                      Well, we've already seen at least one person doesn't give a damn if he winds up dead on the field. Remember that Jets player who infamously said if had to die somewhere, it would be on the field? And that remark came out of the mouth of a rookie, no less.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
                      The thread title was not a case of "Maybe I should have chosen my words a bit more carefully." It was an outright lie!
                      Not a lie. Just a summing up of his attitude. That's all.

Comment

• GreedoII
                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by ckg927 View Post
                        Maybe I should have chosen my words a bit more carefully.

Look down in paragraph 3 of the link. To me, at least, Pegs is saying that it isn't a big deal....or, at the very least, minimized it.

"Concussions happen in all parts of society. It happens in every sport. You can be driving your car down the road and get a concussion in an accident. I don't want to discuss the relevance of it in the football world."

eff off a hole

Comment

• ckg927
                          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by GreedoII View Post
                          eff off a hole
                          Sorry, I'm not Jack FM. I don't take requests.

(The statement above only pertains if that post was directed to me. If that was towards Pegula, you may ignore it.)

Comment

• Mace
                            Haha...yeah you think so ?
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                            Pegula said that he didn't want to discuss it publicly. WTF difference would it make what he says to a reporter, anyway?
                            Well, because he did in a sense and clearly implied we all have the same risk of them, to a reporter, which is flatly not keeping his thoughts to himself, even if he wasn't mentally prepared for the question and didn't have a formulated answer to a complex thought.

I don't think Terry is a good communicator in the public spotlight, but he made himself look either oblivious or uncaring by simply not saying "We're all very concerned about the well being of our players, but I'm not prepared to discuss it further at this time."

Pegula fumbled the question, but he does not strike me as someone who doesn't care about people.

Comment

• Homegrown
                              Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
                              • Jul 2008

Dont take it to hard, that's TP's answer to everything. ....fracking? - no big deal....Asian women? - no big deal ....crappy hockey product? - no big deal

Comment

Working...
                              X