PDA

View Full Version : Another good reason that we signed Boldin - Comp picks

Pinkerton Security
08-08-2017, 09:57 AM
Not claiming hes gonna put us over the hump or anything but between mentoring, decent production and solid run blocking for a run-first, second and third team, I like the signing.

And now this - lets get rid of Holmes (Streater has been more competent from what I've heard) and maybe we'll get that compensatory pick. Seriously, whats not to like?

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/28407/how-signing-anquan-boldin-could-help-the-bills-get-third-round-pick

Bill Cody
08-08-2017, 11:50 AM
interesting

k-oneputt
08-08-2017, 12:12 PM
I don't see why they wouldn't let Holmes go for that 3rd rd. pick.
They can also send Ducasse and Davis packing for another pick.
I really don't think any of those three will be missed.

Ed
08-08-2017, 12:26 PM
I don't see why they wouldn't let Holmes go for that 3rd rd. pick.
They can also send Ducasse and Davis packing for another pick.
I really don't think any of those three will be missed.
Just releasing Holmes wouldn't get them a comp pick. They'd have to release all three players just to get one comp pick. They signed seven qualifying free agents and lost five, so to be eligible for a comp pick they have to release at least three to make the net gain/loss -1.

k-oneputt
08-08-2017, 12:35 PM
Just releasing Holmes wouldn't get them a comp pick. They'd have to release all three players just to get one comp pick. They signed seven qualifying free agents and lost five, so to be eligible for a comp pick they have to release at least three to make the net gain/loss -1.

So we can dump Holmes, Davis, and Ducasse for a 3rd next year ?
Done. Sign me up.

I'm sure at cutdown day they can replace those three if needed.

Mouldsie
08-08-2017, 01:00 PM
Whaley always sucked at this.

Ed
08-08-2017, 02:33 PM
So we can dump Holmes, Davis, and Ducasse for a 3rd next year ?
Done. Sign me up.

I'm sure at cutdown day they can replace those three if needed.
They would definitely get a comp pick if they cut all three, but I don't know if it's a guarantee that it would be a 3rd. They'd also be eating about $3 mil in dead cap space.

I like the idea of getting an extra pick next year, but it might be hard to justify cutting all three for one pick in the middle of the draft. I don't like Holmes or Ducasse as starters, but I do like them as depth. We'll just have to see how they do for the rest of preseason.

Scumbag College
08-08-2017, 04:22 PM
Holmes, Davis, and Ducasse all signed early on in FA, before Beane was the GM. Also, I don't think that any of them have played under any of the current Bills coaches in the past so they aren't "their guys." If reports are correct, neither of those three are setting TC on fire.

It's definitely on the table.

YardRat
08-08-2017, 04:26 PM
Ducasse has history with Castillo, IIRC.

Night Train
08-08-2017, 04:58 PM
It's not the worst idea to look hard at Holmes, Ducasse and Davis. They aren't justifying their signings at all and have been passed by others as top backups.

Already have an extra 1st round pick. Besides QB, we will need to replenish WR if Sammy walks and Boldin retires. More picks, the better. Thinking ahead is not a crime.

Pinkerton Security
08-09-2017, 02:36 PM
Whaley always sucked at this.
My thoughts exactly - whenever the Pats make a move like this to land themselves extra picks, everyone messes their pants and proclaims them geniuses. I think our GMs have just been so incompetent we don't expect them to have the foresight to do things like this. Lets hope Beane makes the moves needed, bc Holmes, Ducasse and some others aren't even locks to make the team anyways.

k-oneputt
08-10-2017, 10:04 PM
When exactly can we pick up our 3rd rd comp pick ? Because Ducassee sucks,Holmes is non-existent, and Davis is injured.

Scumbag College
08-10-2017, 10:45 PM
When exactly can we pick up our 3rd rd comp pick ? Because Ducassee sucks,Holmes is non-existent, and Davis is injured.

I don't need any of these three guys on the team after what I saw tonight.

Night Train
08-11-2017, 07:41 AM
Can we get comp stale bagels for Yates ?